[SOLVED] BenQ GL2460 internal speakers not working

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi all,
I recently built a computer and have the HDMI cord connected from my NVIDIA GPU to a BenQ GL2460 monitor. For the life of me I can't get sound out of the internal speakers. No settings in Windows seem to work, no drivers seem to help and I'm at a complete loss. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Solution
A few things to check on.

First, do you have speakers in the monitor? And how can you tell? The manual I downloaded covers several models, and only a couple of them actually have speakers. From the manual I can see two ways to check. See p. 24-25 re the control keys on the right side.
(a) IF you have speakers, Key #3 is set by default for volume control. Otherwise it may be set to BRIGHTNESS adjustment, or for selecting the VIDEO INPUT to display.
(b) Use Key #4 to get to the Main menu, and see p. 38. If you have audio capabilities, you should be able to choose the Audio sub-menu. There note that there is a place to select whether the audio input is via the 3.5 mm input jack on the back, or via the HDMI cable. In your case you'd set...

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
right click on the speaker icon down in the system tray and select Sound Settings.
Is output set to your monitor or something else like Realtek?
It's set to my monitor but it also looks like it was trying to go through my Nvidia card too at one point. It's a friends build and I can't report yet until he's around tomorrow :(

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador

First, do you have speakers in the monitor? And how can you tell? The manual I downloaded covers several models, and only a couple of them actually have speakers. From the manual I can see two ways to check. See p. 24-25 re the control keys on the right side.
(a) IF you have speakers, Key #3 is set by default for volume control. Otherwise it may be set to BRIGHTNESS adjustment, or for selecting the VIDEO INPUT to display.
(b) Use Key #4 to get to the Main menu, and see p. 38. If you have audio capabilities, you should be able to choose the Audio sub-menu. There note that there is a place to select whether the audio input is via the 3.5 mm input jack on the back, or via the HDMI cable. In your case you'd set for HDMI audio input.

Now, if you have confirmed that you have speakers and they are configured to get their sound via HDMI, then there are a couple of things to do in Windows on your computer. To start with, recognize that your system has TWO sound output devices. One will be the audio chip on your mobo, often by Realtek. But there is no way for its output to be routed to the HDMI cable from your video card. So the video card has its own audio chip to feed that cable alongside the video signals. Now, Windows can only use ONE of those devices at a time, so you have to tell Windows which one you want. At bottom left click Start ... Settings ... Sound and look for a screen that allows you to specify the Default Sound Output Device. (There will be a similar one for Default Sound Recording Device.) There should be a little chooser window with a down-arrow to click, and that will show you two audio output devices - one likely Realtek, and another likely called NVIDEA or something like that. Set it to NVIDEA so it can use that chip to send audio out on the HDMI cable, then back out. That should get sound out to your monitor, and the monitor should use it according to how you configured that. Then you're just dealing with Volume on the monitor.

There is one "glitch" you might hit. Normally when your video card was first installed, the Install routines would have installed drivers BOTH for the video card operations AND for the audio chip on that card. But if that did not happen, you may NOT find the NVIDEA audio output device in that little Windows Default Device chooser window. So it it was not there, you will need to find the audio driver for that video card (on its CD, or maybe Windows will find it for you) and install that before being able to choose it.

Another couple possibilities depend again on the exact monitor model you have. There is one model that does not have an HDMI input, but does have an audio input jack. To use that one with an HDMI output from your video card, you'd likely be using an adapter to feed into a DVI port of the monitor. That way there cannot be any audio feed via the HDMI cable. OR, you may have to use the Audio Input jack, anyway. To do that, you need a cable into that monitor input (NOT the same as an earphone output jack) fed from the light green sound output jack on the back panel if your mobo. THEN you would need to ensure that Windows is set to use the mobo Realtek Audio output chip (which feeds that rear panel jack) so you can get the signal out to the monitor. You'd also have to ensure that the MONITOR is configured to use that jack for audio input.

Reactions: takearushfan82
Solution

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017

(b) Use Key #4 to get to the Main menu, and see p. 38. If you have audio capabilities, you should be able to choose the Audio sub-menu. There note that there is a place to select whether the audio input is via the 3.5 mm input jack on the back, or via the HDMI cable. In your case you'd set for HDMI audio input.

Now, if you have confirmed that you have speakers and they are configured to get their sound via HDMI, then there are a couple of things to do in Windows on your computer. To start with, recognize that your system has TWO sound output devices. One will be the audio chip on your mobo, often by Realtek. But there is no way for its output to be routed to the HDMI cable from your video card. So the video card has its own audio chip to feed that cable alongside the video signals. Now, Windows can only use ONE of those devices at a time, so you have to tell Windows which one you want. At bottom left click Start ... Settings ... Sound and look for a screen that allows you to specify the Default Sound Output Device. (There will be a similar one for Default Sound Recording Device.) There should be a little chooser window with a down-arrow to click, and that will show you two audio output devices - one likely Realtek, and another likely called NVIDEA or something like that. Set it to NVIDEA so it can use that chip to send audio out on the HDMI cable, then back out. That should get sound out to your monitor, and the monitor should use it according to how you configured that. Then you're just dealing with Volume on the monitor.

There is one "glitch" you might hit. Normally when your video card was first installed, the Install routines would have installed drivers BOTH for the video card operations AND for the audio chip on that card. But if that did not happen, you may NOT find the NVIDEA audio output device in that little Windows Default Device chooser window. So it it was not there, you will need to find the audio driver for that video card (on its CD, or maybe Windows will find it for you) and install that before being able to choose it.

Another couple possibilities depend again on the exact monitor model you have. There is one model that does not have an HDMI input, but does have an audio input jack. To use that one with an HDMI output from your video card, you'd likely be using an adapter to feed into a DVI port of the monitor. That way there cannot be any audio feed via the HDMI cable. OR, you may have to use the Audio Input jack, anyway. To do that, you need a cable into that monitor input (NOT the same as an earphone output jack) fed from the light green sound output jack on the back panel if your mobo. THEN you would need to ensure that Windows is set to use the mobo Realtek Audio output chip (which feeds that rear panel jack) so you can get the signal out to the monitor. You'd also have to ensure that the MONITOR is configured to use that jack for audio input.
Wow! I'll look into these suggestions. You're so kind. Thanks for such a detailed reply.