BenQ XL2430T 24-Inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I still find it confusing that Tom's thinks any quantifiable amount of people are buying G-Sync monitors when FreeSync is here and offers FAR more options for FAR less cost. Don't waste your money people G-Sync is gonna be dead within the year.

Mike Coberly

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Pixels count for nothing if my eyes melt while gaming, and that's what I primarily use my machine for anyway. I'd get a 2nd (or perhaps 3rd) display if I really needed the extra space. Even in that instance I'd still rather go with 2560x1440 @ 120Hz

If Windows had better display scaling(this is not easy to fix because it has been setup with compatibility for older software. newer software can scale very well) this would not be as much of an issue and games will look great at 4k with the 2 video cards needed to run it. In its current state, it is a bit of a niche market for sure, but is going to be common on portable devices within a very short time(megapixel war is quite large on phones/tablets).

G-sync also has a backlight strobe option that greatly reduces perceived motion blur(similar to what this review monitor has).

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
The reviewer clearly states that the ONLY difference between this TN panel and an IPS panel is viewing angle. How is this a problem unless you're using more than 1 monitor?

While I agree that the "TN is junk" comments are not helpful, there is definitely a noticeable difference between TN and IPS. With TN, there is a color shift on certain colors, even when sitting directly in front of the screen at normal eye-level. For example, red may look like a deep red at the top, normal in the middle, then pink towards the bottom. For gaming, it usually isn't as noticeable, but occasionally it is. With darker scenes, it may be hard to distinguish between gray and black at the top & bottom of the screen. The TN color shift is less noticeable on smaller screens, more noticeable on larger ones.

A few years ago I made the switch to a 30" IPS panel, and absolutely love the image quality... the color shift on TN was driving me nuts, sometimes I felt like I had to move my head up or down to be able to see details clearly (the shift follows your eye height). However, IPS currently cannot compete with TN for pixel response time... so even if people are planning on getting IPS 120Hz+ monitors, they will likely have more blur than the TN equivalent.

The common viewing angle issue of TN can be worse on larger or wider screens. I think 22-24 is about perfect. My girlfriend uses a 22 inch and it looks GREAT for a TN. The viewing angles are so much wider[less color shift] than older TN and who looks at it from the bottom? Out games my s-PVA(I have become very used to this screen, but its overdrive is INSANE) and IPS I had every time.

Just ordered one of the other 24in BenQ TN 144hz with blur reduction(based on the general quality of the BL3200, I would put BenQ up with the best in design and apparent[test of time will see] quality). With any luck it will be just what I wanted and I can use a VA or low glow IPS for my secondary(yet primary for almost all other uses.)

spellbinder2050

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't blur reduction make the screen flicker? Even if it does so in a way that's not too noticeable? Doesn't that cause headaches and eye strain for some people?

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Yes, I think some people have reported headaches and eyestrain due to the flicker of strobing, but I think it's a very small minority. For example, on old CRTs people sometimes got headaches when using a low refresh rate (i.e. strobe rate) like 60Hz, but when they bump it to 85Hz+ the problem went away. In this case, we're talking about a 120-144Hz strobe, so it should only affect the most sensitive people.

I've read comments from a number of people who were sensitive to flicker, that actually were more comfortable with the 120Hz+ strobing than without strobe. I think it's because the reduced blur was less fatiguing on the eyes.

I would also like to point out some people are sensitive to the PWM backing used in many LED backlit screens as well(same goes for normal florescent lighting and spiral light bulbs[never bothered me]. Normal old incandecent bulbs pulse too, but they do not stop producing light fast enough(cool down) to notice it, while an led will go out almost instantly). PWM is great for power savings, but it just does not get along well with some users. My maglight gets better battery like because of PWM :)

I have used screens with pwm backlight, but not long term so far no issues. Still rocking some old CFL(wled used in most screens does not offer the same color) backlighting here.

If you have ever seen generic led Christmas lights chances are you have seen flickering lights in the 50/60 or 100/120hz range already.

Still holding out hope that this type of feature becomes standard just to give users the option.

bradleyg5

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Seems like a bad time to buy an expensive none G-Sync monitor. In 2 years even a monitor this nice is going to seem woefully obsolete. The issue is so many games are coming out with 60fps frame caps, so 144hz by itself is still going to give you screen tearing, or else your stuck with the same 60fps stuttering V-Sync everyone else has.

Too bad the DIY thing died out, would be nice if all gaming monitors just came with a slot you could pop in a 200$ G-Sync module at any time to upgrade.

The screens needed to have a compatible input for g-sync to work and the adapter for the Asus screens also replaced the power supply portion.

You are right about 60hz.

With any luck project freesync will help adoption because while Nvidia seemed to hint that it would be maybe 100 dollars or so to add g-sync, monitor makers have jacked the price for this feature.

Jdnamra Nasah

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
omg i was about to sent my 2430 back the colors looked washed i tryed so much but could not figure out what settings are the best for it now with your settings the picture look crisp and sharp the colors are awesome thank you a lot

Jdnamra Nasah

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
thank you so much i was about to sent my 2430 back i tried so much but the colors looked washed out now everything looks sharp and nice if you guys could give me the best settings for arma 2 i would be even more happy

Color profiles help allot with this kind of screen(I found the lightest colors just blend into one too soon).

They have it optimized for what some gamers may want(and worse the default is eye searing), but it looks awful to me as well.

I have the XL2420Z and with a profile it is much better(I tried some off the internet until I got one I liked). Coming from a VA panel back to TN is actually very hard, but this thing is VERY fast.

ufasas

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
bought for 170gbp benq 120hz last year slightly used, 10hours~, works magic, bought for 182gbp benq 144hz unopened this year, will keep both monitors, throw stones at me now

Status
Not open for further replies.