Bent CPU board, is this an issue?

cakesmithinc

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
So I got a bit 'excited' with my CPU, and managed to bend its board. The pins themselves are nice and straight, but the board (platform?) itself is a tad bit bent.

I installed it with thermal paste and everything, but the desktop's power light is amber and the monitor isn't displaying anything. Unfortunately I have been making other changes to the computer as well so I am not sure if the CPU is the culprit, and the computer itself is quite old. The computer sounds like it boots up, and the power supply is working correctly. I have unplugged and rewired all the connections inside the computer

So, my question would be if the amber light on the power button suggests the bent CPU is in fact the issue, or if it points to a different problem.

Thanks,
Vaughn B.

P.S.
The green light on the motherboard is working normally, and I have been using static protection while working with the computer.

EDIT:
I've dug up my specs:
Original PC: Gateway MFATXSTL EL2 500L
Motherboard: Gateway El Paso 2 Motherboard 4000777 (original)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 processor, PGA478 (original)
Video card: NV875.0 Rev B (may be original, unsure)
Ethernet adapter: TP-Link TG-3269 (installed by me)
RAM: 2x PC3200U 1GB DDR 400MHz (may be original, unsure)

All the parts were installed correctly before messing with the CPU; The system was running Lubuntu (because it isn't very powerful) just fine.

Solution

Oh my.
That does indeed seem to be a bent CPU.
It is toast. There is nothing you can do with this. There is no way to fix it.

cakesmithinc

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Yes, I bent the CPU. the little part pasted to the heatsink with the fan on top. It has a bunch of pins on it and it normally sets into the mothrboard without any force. That's the CPU, right?

USAFRet

Titan

That would seem to be the CPU. But a pic with the relevant part circled would be helpful.

USAFRet

Titan

Oh my.
That does indeed seem to be a bent CPU.
It is toast. There is nothing you can do with this. There is no way to fix it.

Solution

cakesmithinc

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Alright, well, thanks. I guess this gives me the excuse to buy a new one sooner rather than later.

Just to clarify, though, a new CPU should take care of the whole 'amber light and not booting' problem, right?

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming nothing else is broken, yes. A new CPU should fix it.

However...it is a Pentium 4. Be wary of spending too much on fixing it. Only do this if you can find a replacement, cheap.

cakesmithinc

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Hey guys, just a follow up for anyone reading this in the future.

I was able to use some large tweezers to bend the CPU back into almost its original shape, and now the computer works again.