[SOLVED] Best AM5 board for a 7800X3D and an RTX 4090 for just 4K gaming ?

Oct 27, 2023
Hello all,

I have been going through so many Youtube videos as to which would be the best AM5 MB for 7800x3d and RTX 4090 for 4K gaming and i am at a lost as I have a limited understanding (noob) of what is actually critical and what can be overlooked.
Also with all the issues ASUS had on the 7800x3d would it still be prudent to go with them?

I am reaching out to you great folks for help please :)

Why Are You Upgrading: first build in approx. 8yrs

Budget: 'no limit' but looking at the best price/performance ratio

Approximate Purchase Date: coming months

Use Case: 4k gaming only, I don't do any production / photoshop / streaming

Overclocking: Not my intention

Thank you!

Reactions: Colif
Solution
Yeah, I'd actually avoid Asus boards altogether on AM5 for now. I've put a config for you that I think is quite balanced from all perspectives. Depending on your needs you can up the ram to 64GB or add even more storage.

For the motherboard my choice was the Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX. It's practically stacked with all the features you need (boat load of expansion, m.2 slots, usb ports, etc.) and it has a really beefy VRM setup, meaning that it will accomodate any AM5 CPU you throw at it without a sweat.

Storage wise I went full NVME. Chose a 2TB PCIe 4.0 SSD as a boot drive + a 4 TB PCIE 3.0 one for your games.

Fan wise, the Lian Li LanCool III comes with 4x140mm fans already equipped, so there's no need for more than that...
Yeah, I'd actually avoid Asus boards altogether on AM5 for now. I've put a config for you that I think is quite balanced from all perspectives. Depending on your needs you can up the ram to 64GB or add even more storage.

For the motherboard my choice was the Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX. It's practically stacked with all the features you need (boat load of expansion, m.2 slots, usb ports, etc.) and it has a really beefy VRM setup, meaning that it will accomodate any AM5 CPU you throw at it without a sweat.

Storage wise I went full NVME. Chose a 2TB PCIe 4.0 SSD as a boot drive + a 4 TB PCIE 3.0 one for your games.

Fan wise, the Lian Li LanCool III comes with 4x140mm fans already equipped, so there's no need for more than that. Airflow in this case is awesome (speaking fromexperience as I own the LanCool II Mesh).

CPU Cooler choice was purely based on price/performance. It's one of the best air coolers on the market right now + I'm a bit anti-liquid coolers, so there you go, I'm biased.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($40.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX (rev. 1.0) ATX AM5 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA Legend 960 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($111.06 @ MemoryC)
Storage: Crucial P3 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($166.47 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING AMP Extreme AIRO GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMe (2023) 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3072.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-27 07:48 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution
In general since you can't really do much overclocking on a cpu that has x3d you likely will be ok with pretty much any mid grade motherboard. Mostly it will be other feature like how many m.2 slots or something that makes more difference.

I like ones with the number LED display rather than little led so you can see the boot process. AMD machines are a bit scary if you have not built them recently. They take a while to boot the first couple times while they figure out the memory timings.
If you are impatient like me you think the machine is hung but the code will tell you it is checking the memory.

Hello all,

I have been going through so many Youtube videos as to which would be the best AM5 MB for 7800x3d and RTX 4090 for 4K gaming and i am at a lost as I have a limited understanding (noob) of what is actually critical and what can be overlooked.
Also with all the issues ASUS had on the 7800x3d would it still be prudent to go with them?

I am reaching out to you great folks for help please :)

Why Are You Upgrading: first build in approx. 8yrs

Budget: 'no limit' but looking at the best price/performance ratio

Approximate Purchase Date: coming months

Use Case: 4k gaming only, I don't do any production / photoshop / streaming

Overclocking: Not my intention

Thank you!
How about Gigabyte’s B650E Aorus Master motherboard? Review here:

TRENDING THREADS