Best antivirus poll

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vote for your best antivirus!!!!!!!!!

• avg

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • avast

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • avira

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • kaspersky

Votes: 35 18.0%
  • norton

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • mcafee

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • nod32

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • trend micro

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • webroot

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • other....tell us about it and why!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zracko

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Been Using Nod32 for a while now and im very happy with it , not such a resource hogger like bitdefender,kasperski and norton! as for Free Antivirus I have to give credit to Avira, SuperAntispyware and Avast

supersmcow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i use f-secure uses about 60mb of ram for realtime protection not scanning, so it does not hog anything, and it catches everything, i got it with my isp, so i got it free catches spyware too, but you can change settings for how much you want it to look after

rean24

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
AVG for me , Good all round protection , if you couple with a good Firewall...and Anti-spyware ( If u got the RAm to spare )...Then AVG is good...
My Protection Combo ( All Free )

1) AVG Anti-Virus
2) Pc-tools Firewall
3) Ad-Aware Anti Spyware

Soo far no problem of what soo ever....

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have been a lawful Kaspersky user (IS) since version 6.0 till 9.0 At least while my license lasted..
I now use BitDefender..

I vote for Kaspersky however.. Much lighter than BitDefender and Norton (I used Norton Antivirus 2005 till they cut its support and updates.. very bad for Symantic) Has excellent detection rates and (speaking of history) caught "I love you" virus by its heauristic and with the 6th version.. 3 hours before signiture updates.. Impressive!
I only got BitDefender because it was on sale here..

nickdave

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I recently switched to Avira from AVG. I found after testing both on some not so recommended websites that avira would stop me from loading images/ads/programs on the page. Where as AVG let them slide right by. I have always heard good things about NOD 32 and Kaspersky but have never tried either of them.

batou1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I've used Kaspersky for about 2-3 years and it has always been great.....on protection. The problem I have run into recently is that it randomly either totally blocks acces to the internet, or pages will load as what I would call "font only." If you use no-script add on and go to a page that is mostly java without allowing any of it you know what I mean by this. Basically all I see when these pages load is text and links in a list format. Strangely I was able to solve the problem temporarily by upgrading to KIS 2010, but it has begun to happen again. The weirdest part is that it will only happen about 1 out of 10 times. I will get either the text thing or "server at blahblahblah.com cannot be found" and if I reload the page once or twice it will work fine. I think it also disabled me from d/l movies from itunes for a while. I checked all firewall settings for both problems and everything was set correctly. So for me it has been great on protection, but I am now thinking of switching it up once my new rig is finished. Ive tried the trial of Vipre and liked it a lot, but is that plus win 7 firewall enough or do I need to get a separate firewall? (oh and I am a firm believer in malwarebytes as a backup and I scan with that once weekly, from everything I've read and heard about its ability to root out problems and fix them I highly recommend it as a backup)

batou1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
so area 51 you seem to have some experience with these. My license on KIS 2010 will run out in a few days (Just in time for when my new rig arrives!!) So on the new one would you suggest
1.) Kaspersky IS 2010- which Ive had great results in the detection and protection department but possible conflicts with internet access as you can see above, and it also has slowed down this machine (but then again my new one is much faster i5 750 6 gig 1333 and win 7 so I dont know if that will negate the performance impact and solve my acces problems)
2.) Vipre antivirus/antispyware plus a good firewall
3.) Avria (paid) with a good firewall.
these three seem like the best options out there

*And thanks but no thanks to AVG as that has let a ton of stuff through on my buddies computer that I have to constantly get rid of with superantispyware and malwarebytes.

varulv

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

Why shocked? Nod32 is a great antivir program, also resource 'friendly'.

Anyway, nod32 for me.

At the beginning of last year Nortons Internet Security 2009 got such great reviews I decided to give it a shot and was pleased with it enough to install it on 6 machines, it was a better product than Nortons earlier AV protection that added everything in it but the kitchen sink and slowed your machine to a crawl.

Then Symantec released NIS 2010 and 2009 began automatically updating to 2010, which got infected with a virus on 3 different HDDs, 2 running WinXP Pro 32bit, 1 running Vista Home Premium 64bit, Nortons was clueless it was infected, but Windows Media Player began relentlessly restarting basically rendering you computer useless.

After many failed attempts to stop the problem I decided to try an online scanner, even though Nortons continued to report no infection no matter how deep the scanner was set to run, I took a shot in the dark and chose ESET [NOD32], installed and ran its online scanner, it found all the virus infections and removed them.

So now I'm running the 30 day trial version of ESET Internet Security and so far its getting a thumbs up, hopefully that will last.

Nortons is still clueless of the virus, thats a real let down from Symantec, they should have been all over this thing by now.

Well that's my 2 cents on this subject. Ryan

therianthrope

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Is there any particular reason why there's no AV software stickies, perhaps outlining the leading free and paid programs?

I have to imagine this forum is 90% the same stuff over and over...

Well it could be hardly anyone actually reads the stickies and they end up as a reference link for a thread like this, so they still have a use.

Probably because no one has taken the time to put one together and unfortunately no matter how good your AV protection is if an AV disabling Trojan, or Worm infection gets in your machine because the AV protection doesn't have the virus definition yet, your machine is in trouble anyway.

There is no perfect AV solution besides completely disconnecting from the internet anyway.

A good sticky is a lot of work and dedication on the authors part to keep it constantly updated, or it becomes useless.

Are you volunteering to put together an AV sticky?

c0ll3ct0r3

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
-nod32 killed my new 16gb mp4 player.because it had a autorun virus... never worked again.(could of been fixed with panda usb)
-after grisoft released avg free 8. i couldnt get rid of it. i had to format my hard drive and start again.
-avast = resorce hungry. had to disable half of the scanners to get my computer running normal speed...
also the same with mcafee and norton

-just switched to avira... no troubles what so ever. just the annoying notifyer thing. but it doesnt pop up often. and my computer goes very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.