Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015 (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andromendous

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
What do you guys think about this?
http://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/

Its supposed to combine bit defender and avast together some how. I've been using it for a few weeks, seems ok, doesnt bother me ever.
Dunno if its actually doing anything though either....

cyht91

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I've used multiple Anti-Viruses and so far those were Norton, AVG, Panda, Kaspersky, and Panda Security. Until recently I've been using BitDefender too, just as this article suggests. However I've switched to SecureAPlus late last year since I've found out that they have multiple commercial AVs running at the same time, which include Norton, AVG, BitDefender, as well as others.

I was a bit skeptical at first but it didn't hurt to try since it was free. I still have it with me and it works really well. The interface needs some polish but other than that I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks for your recommendation! Decided to try something different from the usual one. It's working well for me! Really like how they leverage the power of more than 10 AV in the cloud which boosts higher detection rates while not slowing down my computer. In addition, the Application Whitelisting only allows application that I trust to be running in my computer. At least I know and have control as to what is happening in my computer. Indeed, no harm trying it since it's free ;)

dafoot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Why ESET NOD32 isn't mentioned is beyond me. I've been using it for 10+ years and have never been infected by a virus. It has found things over the years and popped up on the screen to let me know. Uses very little resources and has never showed signs of slowing my computer down. Highly recommended!

I"m not sure what smartphone raybo333 was using 10+ years ago.
I'm guessing he'S confused mobile and PC antivirus programs.

GBKV

Reputable
May 6, 2015
The above ratings are quite realistic but kaspersky must be given highest rating as per security is concerned,but it uses RAM memory high and runs in background processes.

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Did you bother to read the replies in that thread? You're doing nothing but mindless scaremongering.

Hi , yes and i didn't see anything regarding the I/O issue with Avast.

The way to move it from your SSD to a RAMdisk, or change the maximum size of files it stores there?

Oh, and even 3GiB/day is no issue. Modern SSDs won't run out of write cycles for decades, even when run at 20GiB/day.

Much ado about nothing.

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
i've scheduled a classical weekly analysis of my NTFS drive used for my Windows 8.1 VM....
1.5 Tbytes of data...

Avast have acknowledged the issue ( check the forum).
even a tiny little file of 4kbyte is copied in the /tmp folder before scanning .....

I've stopped this after having found almost 200 Gbyte of data writed for nothing to the SSD...

4K isn't an issue. Your computer probably writes a thousand times that every time it boots up, or even resumes from sleep.

There's also this:
Also note that the files in the file system must not be (and usually aren't) in fact written to the HDD,
the kernel uses some caching mechanisms designed to handle exactly such tempfile scenarios.

The 200GB wasn't written for 'nothing'. It was written (if it ever was) because it's part of the security suite. Are you going to complain about wasted clock cycles or internet bandwidth next?

Your SSD is likely rated for around a PETABYTE of writes. Worrying about a few hundred GB over months is pointless; it's unlikely you'll meet even a fifth of the limits before the laptop ends up in a skip.

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
No... i dont agree....
It's a BUG as admitted by Avast ( i think you're working for them).

check the weblink ans stop with this kind of bullshit.

I don't work for Avast, and I don't appreciate the libel.

I've read through the whole thread. Multiple times.

I do not see anywhere that Avast reps used the term 'bug'. You were the only one who used it, and then only once. They said it was 'intended behaviour' which is the polar opposite of a bug.

That said, the bit about 200GB in 30 minutes is very worrying. You didn't say that earlier; you said 3GB a day. Several orders of magnitude difference there. Are you 100% certain that that's all Avast, and it's definitely writes, not reads?

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Avast plan to correct the behaviour for the little files ( even 4kbyte).
They writed this in the post.

i've done the analysis with dtrace and iosnoop and yes, it's only avast.

The web filtre analysis engine is even worst ( check at the begin of the post).

it's download locally in /tmp all the parts recettes by the browser and do a local analysis .

i was surprised to see a lot of Gigs written every hours when watching netflix...

Avast have again admit the behaviour and "asked" me to do manuel configuration and to create a ramdisk.

I've disabled the web engine at this moment.

i've found later the same issue with the file scanning engine...

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
To complet, the Avast engines seem to be designed for HARDDRIVE computers .
They rely extansively to disk I/O for every actions....

Planning to change how stuff is done does not mean that there is a bug. Your car would use more fuel than a current model; that does not mean that there is a bug in it, merely that it is less perfect.

They are saying that if you have such a major issue with its write behaviour (they imply they don't share your concerns), you can reduce it by using a RAM disk. You don't have to, they don't expect anyone to, and it's not a major issue.

I'm also quite impressed at an internet connection that can pull down 200GB in half an hour. Netflix doesn't stream at 800Mb/s.

canope

Reputable
May 12, 2015
the 200 GB in 30 minutes have been generated by the weekly file scanning of my Windows USB3 HDD used with Parallel desktop VM.
I have the disk natively available thru OS X and scanned from OS X for being sure to have and antivirus not tampered at windows level.

jackdashack

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I have used Panda Free Edition for about 3 weeks. I decided to run Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. My old standbys. Super found 28 threats and Malwarebytes and a good lump too. It doesn't seem that Panda does that well as a stand alone. Besides which I am not too endeared to their forum. All the forums there say FORUM LOCKED? What's that all about?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I use Avast on my samsung galaxy 7 smartphone it is a good anti- virus app.

Status
Not open for further replies.