Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015 (Archive)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Without any source material for review, I call shenanigans on this "article." I'm willing to bet that the criteria is not based on actual lab testing; and if so, I want to know which lab was doing the testing. This just doesn't add up, at all. Sure, I agree with a couple of the picks, but not all of them.

SOURCES, or I call shenanigans.

john_tech_fla

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
Well, I just downloaded and updated Avira and ran on a scan. It failed to detect Troj/Updatre-LD, ThunderBird email attachment. It also failed to detect it when I saved the zip to an isolated folder.

I just installed Sophos/Mac, I've used it for years on my mac, ran the updater and Sophos detected both.

Scanned 2015-08-27 14:39EST.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Excellent choice. Sophos is a great app to use.Avira is not good . Avast is better than Avira.

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Not even remotely true. Take a look at AV-Comparatives's test results (not just a basic test, all of the testing), and you'll see why. In fact, Avast doesn't work as well as Avira in just about any way that truly matters. And, personally, I wouldn't recommend either one lol. Just saying, that is definitely contradicting the lab results we can actually read, and verify with.

FrancaV

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I was reading the dropdown info specifically for Android AV apps but apparently the Comments section lumps all of the AV Software and Apps together. I scrolled and scrolled and found mostly comments pertaining to desktops. My comment is specifically about the AV apps for Android:

I think this section needs updating as some of the best 2015 AV apps for Android are missing. Biggest is not necessarily best! In my case, I have recently uninstalled AVG (which, by the way, is very, very good) because I found something even better. It's called CM Security and was developed by the same people that bring us Clean Master. CM Security is completely free and has found a thing or two that the free version of AVG did not. And you have to upgrade to the paid AVG version in order to access many features that CM Security includes at no extra charge. It is very well reviewed everywhere it is included in testing. Highly recommended! (Just a garden variety user - I have no development skills whatsoever.)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I use to have CM security and it made my phone lag to much. I uninstalled it and the phone works much faster now.Clean master is not good at all.

FrancaV

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015

No lagging here, thank goodness!

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I've never had CM security cause my phone to lag, and I'm working with an old Razor M xt907. It works fine for me on KitKat. I switched to Avira for overall better protection, and it's much less intrsuive when I want to do certain things. CM has the best browser I've used, though. I've used about 20+ browsers in one day, just trying to see which one was minimal and durable. Cheetah takes it. For AV, Avira is my first pick for free AV.

Paul Wagenseil

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
Without any source material for review, I call shenanigans on this "article." I'm willing to bet that the criteria is not based on actual lab testing; and if so, I want to know which lab was doing the testing. This just doesn't add up, at all. Sure, I agree with a couple of the picks, but not all of them.

SOURCES, or I call shenanigans.

You can call shenanigans all you want, but we state clearly in each review that we conduct system-impact and user-experience evaluations ourselves, and use AV-TEST's malware-protection evaluations.

rockworldmi

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Well I rather create one folder "Downloads" then i go download all the top 10 from list ...

Then i use complete protection suit every month ... so free full protection.. after trial expires it takes on 20 mins or so for uninstall and installing another one :p

And most of time using PC-BSD on dual boot .. that's more better than free solutions.

and why 360total is not mentioned???

Skylyne

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

So what you're saying is that all the work actually performed by the TH crew was writing the article; an article that is likely based off of the very uninformative "results" posted by AV-Test's homepage, and you release no parameters for your own testing... which means nothing can really be checked, and therefore the article is ultimately not even verifiable to any extent.

Good job.

rickin432

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Best in my opinion depends on what platform you're using.
Since I have Win7, here's the best antivirus protection :

1. Panda 2016 Free Version :
It's latest Cloud Cleaner is unbeatable. Takes very little RAM. Pop ups can be switched off. 100% protection scores from both AV test and AV comparatives. Also named Editor's choice by PC Mag.

2. Avira free version :
Still good but Panda's CC beats it.

3. MalwareBytes:
Classic. And again, Panda's CC takes care of MBam's job but you can keep it for a second opinion. I use it from time to time.

Btw, I'm an engineer and hence always looking for free stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.