raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hey all, im a gamer lookin for a good antivirus, somthing that doesnt take tons of resources and require my aproval for every webpage, omg ca personal firewall is driving me crazy with aproval for everysite.

Anyways ive used norton for years and im thinking about that but i wanted to see if there was somthing better before i plunk down my cold hard cash.

Thanks,

raknarius

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I've been using the free version of Avast. It's been pretty good.

Personally I stay away from McAfee too.

I hear a lot of people use AVG's antivirus too.

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I used to have norton, but since I tried avast...not only is it free, it seems to work much better. I've also been told it takes less of your pc's resources to run.

I'll never go back to a pay anti-virus now that I've been shown the light

Confused_Chimp

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I've always used norton myself. But ahve recently come into problems with it. Norton has an activation requirement, just like windows does. I've just come into problems with this now. It seems as I reformat my computer fairly regularly I've fallen foul of the number of times you can activate a particular key. Whats worse than microsoft is that rather than giving you a number to ring so that you can tell them why your installing it again etc. The only greivance path you have (as far as I could see) is to send the whole package back to them with all the orginal packaging and explaining your greivance. I personnally cannot be bothered to waste my time with it. I'll either buy a new OEM as its only £18ish online, which I have to say is unlikely because of the principle of the matter. Instead I am thinking of moving to many of the free and from what I've heard better alternatives that are freeware.
Norton is fine, but if like some of us, you do all your own maintenance and like to keep things fairly clean then you may find yourself in the same situation as me. If your unlike to bother to reformat your system or find the prospect too daunting, then you'll probably have no problem with it.
Hope that helps
Cheers
CC

That's one big advantage of Panda over Norton... no activation required. Once you register the product, you are given a username and password to connect to the update server and also sign in on the website should a newer version be released. You can reinstall it until your heart's content... you don't even need the original CD once you've registered... the full product can be downloaded from their website.