Question Best apps for diagnosing Windows computer and laptop hardware problems?

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
I work for a large charity and they’ve asked me to help with fixing their computers (mostly Windows laptops). I’ve done some computer repair in the past, and I'm getting up to date with current hardware and software.

I recently played around a bit with the Windows built-in diagnostic apps and they seem ok. I’m sure other apps are even better.

What are your fav apps for diagnosing Windows computer hardware issues? Both free and paid apps.

kanewolf

Titan
I work for a large charity and they’ve asked me to help with fixing their computers (mostly Windows laptops). I’ve done some computer repair in the past, and I'm getting up to date with current hardware and software.

I recently played around a bit with the Windows built-in diagnostic apps and they seem ok. I’m sure other apps are even better.

What are your fav apps for diagnosing Windows computer hardware issues? Both free and paid apps.
Laptops typically have three problems
Software --- Fix with a clean install of Windows
Overheating -- Fix with disassembly, cleaning and applying thermal paste. Possible fan replacement required.
Battery -- Fix by replacing battery

Much less frequent
Memory -- Test with MEMTEST86
Storage -- Replace with SSD and install Windows

A simple usb drive with
memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

For heat issues like cpu throttling, run HWmonitor.
It will record the current, minimum and maximum temperatures and fan speeds.

A easy stress test is cpu-Z.

If the laptops use a HDD for windows, performance is improved dramatically when converted to a ssd.
Replace with a samsung ssd of suitable size and type.
Use the samsung ssd migration aid to copy the windows C drive to the ssd.
APP and instructions here:

Laptops will have small strange screws; buy a simple laptop repair kit like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Sc...ool+kit+for+laptop&qid=1673108916&sr=8-4&th=1

Advaitom

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
@kanewolf @USAFRet @geofelt Thanks for the guidance and info. I made notes of them all.

Question: How often do you find the root problem to be a corrupted HDD drive? (bad sectors) In the past I used Spinrite to scan HDD drives and it often found corrupted sectors and fixed them.

(I don't use Spinrite anymore cuz way too slow on modern large drives. Hopefully new version out soon.)

USAFRet

Titan
@kanewolf @USAFRet @geofelt Thanks for the guidance and info. I made notes of them all.

Question: How often do you find the root problem to be a corrupted HDD drive? (bad sectors) In the past I used Spinrite to scan HDD drives and it often found corrupted sectors and fixed them.

(I don't use Spinrite anymore cuz way too slow on modern large drives. Hopefully new version out soon.)
In the last decade or so, I've had 2.5 out of a couple of dozen HDDs fail.
1 - 3TB WD. 5 weeks old, replaced under warranty. Went from working to dead in about 36 hours.
2 - 16TB Toshiba. 7 months old, replaced under warranty. Went from 0 to 14,000+ bad sectors in about a week.
The ".5" - 8TB Seagate. Currently showing a few bad sectors as reported by my NAS.

Most drive professionals consider "Spinrite" to be snake oil at best.

If users had admin rights to the laptops, expect the worst. I'd wager 50-80% of those OSs have been abused with crap softwares.
If no data or apps are needed (or if you have the licenses for things like MS Office separately), I would just start an assemply like of wiping and reloading the OS. The end user will get a snappy, clean new OS and many of the issues you may experience in diagnosing will get deleted with the old OS. It's so much easier to diagnose random issues when you know the OS isn't as fault and an OS install can weed out some hardware failures in and of itself. You definitely need to confirm you have the OS and application licenses you need before doing this though.

Aside from this, grab the latest Hiren's boot USB. It has a bunch of diagnostic tools (hardware testing, etc.) to make your diagnostics easier.