[SOLVED] Best audio settings

Feb 12, 2021
Hello,

So I built my new PC and have learned a lot about components. This is a PC I mostly use for gaming. I am having a hard time understanding all the different aspects of the audio options on the PC.

In my device manager I have audio Inputs and Outputs. I plugged in my headset in MOBO and they are now as speakers and Microphone (2 -HD Audio Device)

Further down in the device manager there is Sound, Video and game controllers. In here i have HD Audio device, NVIDIA HD Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (WDM)

I am trying to make sense into all of this and basically have an optimized setup.

My headset is a 3-4 year old HyperX.

Also should I be using an amplifier?

Thank you

MOBO Asus Z490-E Gaming
Windows 10
RTX 3070
Intel 10900k

Solution
What headset specifically?
You dont need to be digging around in window settings, its not going to improve audio quality at all.
If you want, you can install an EQ for your headset and tune it to your liking, but again thats just tuning not an actual audio improvement. Its purely subjective.
Depending on the headset, no you probably wont benefit from an amp.
You dont need to be digging around in window settings, its not going to improve audio quality at all.
If you want, you can install an EQ for your headset and tune it to your liking, but again thats just tuning not an actual audio improvement. Its purely subjective.

Solution
Feb 12, 2021

It is a HyperX Cloud 7.1. I might download an EQ for the headset to boost lower frequencies such as footsteps. Any recommendations?

Feb 12, 2021
Ok. So my MOBO supports DTS audio. So if I understand my model of Headphones is too old and I would need an adapter to use 7.1 or I can eventually get new DTS supported Headphones.

Thanks Gam3r01!!

Ok. So my MOBO supports DTS audio. So if I understand my model of Headphones is too old and I would need an adapter to use 7.1 or I can eventually get new DTS supported Headphones.

Thanks Gam3r01!!
DTS has nothing to do with true surround.
You headphones can never do true 7.1, they physically have 2 drivers, which makes them a 2.0 setup regardless of what other specs you run.
Kingstons 7.1 headsets include a USB soundcard that simulates 7.1 and provides it to the headset. You can simulate this effect in windows as well, but its all a gimmick.
Getting a new headset wont change anything.

Can you link to the exact headset you bought then? All of kingstons 7.1 models use a USB soundcard to simulate the 7.1 effect, otherwise its just a 2.0 headset (which is perfectly fine if not better to be honest).
If you want improved audio quality you should look into headphones, not headsets. Headsets are geared at gaming and make sacrifices to bring the price down and entice gamers (like the mentioned simulated 7.1). I moved from my HyperX cloud IIs to Philips Fidelio X2HRs and the difference was night and day in terms of audio quality.