Best budget build for GTX 1060 6GB

Gudo22

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hi,

I recently bought a 6GB GTX 1060, because my old GPU died and I'm looking for a general gaming rig upgrade.

My current build consists on:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Mobo: Asus M5A88-M
RAM: 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3 RAM Kingston (Don't have full number right now)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6G
PSU: Seasonic S12II-520

I know my current rig bottlenecks the GPU, right now I'm looking to upgrade everything else so it works as it should (Only things I'll leave untouched are the GPU and the PSU)

Today I found this CPU/Mobo bundle for $320 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QQ8187/ref=twister_B072FBN83F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It includes:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming 3

-Will de PSU be enough?
-Will it make a big difference if I upgrade from my current build?
-What make and model of RAM would you recommend? I think I'll be fine with 16GB.

Thank you!

Solution
-Will the PSU be enough?
Yes. Though a better PSU would mean better cooling. I wouldn't worry about it since you're on a tight budget.
Yes a lot. And I mean A LOT.
-What make and model of RAM would you recommend? I think I'll be fine with 16GB.
G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory should be perfect and it is pretty cheap right now.

Here's a list of all RAMs compatible. I would still double check the RAMs are compatible with the CPU and mobo.

Cheers

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
-Will the PSU be enough?
Yes. Though a better PSU would mean better cooling. I wouldn't worry about it since you're on a tight budget.
Yes a lot. And I mean A LOT.
G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory should be perfect and it is pretty cheap right now.

Here's a list of all RAMs compatible. I would still double check the RAMs are compatible with the CPU and mobo.

Cheers

Solution

Gudo22

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

Thank you! Do you know if there is a better/more efficient option on the Intel side? I've read that Nvidia cards are optimized for Intel. Since I've always been an AMD/ATI guy I'm not sure. Maybe an i5 or i7 for future-proofing?

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Thank you! Do you know if there is a better/more efficient option on the Intel side? I've read that Nvidia cards are optimized for Intel. Since I've always been an AMD/ATI guy I'm not sure. Maybe an i5 or i7 for future-proofing?

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 is recommended due to the fact it performs better than the i7 7700k at multi-core processing and at the same time costs about 100$ less and still competitive with the 7700k at single core performance. Also AMD said that it will support the same platform (AM4) until 2020 meaning you can upgrade with a better processor until 2020 without having to change your motherboard unlike intel who announced 2 different chipsets within the past few months. It can be argued that the 7700k has better single-core processing and that is pretty much all you need for gaming but again, keeping in mind you are paying 100$ less for the Ryzen 1600 and getting faster multi-core processing speed which comes in handy during editing, streaming, recording, etc. You never know when you'll need those cores in the future.

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

The 1600 is a great chip but I wouldn't call it "close" to the 7700k on single core performance.

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

In the benchmarks I saw it was more like 30% with both at stock and 35% with both overclocked.

Obviously the extra cores on the r5 1600 are going to give it a 20% victoryish in the multi-core department but for gaming the i7 will crush the 1600 if you're using a high refresh rate monitor and not playing BF1.

With OP using a 60hz monitor the 1600 is still the better option here.

Gudo22

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Thank you! I made up my mind. Now I hope I can get it sent to my country soon or if there's still a similar price by January, when I'll be visiting the US.