Question Best budget options for update prebuilt Medion gaming pc?

Oct 25, 2020
Hi all, a Dutchie non-technical gurl here :)

Four years ago I bought a Medion Akoya pc (Medion Akoya P5385 E (MD 8847)) for a good price at ALDI. It has the following parts:

• Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
  • Processor: CPU Intel Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz S1151 SR2NJ
  • Memory: 1x 8192 MB DDR4-SDRAM (PC4-17000 / 2133 MHz)Single / Dual channel mode (1/2 Slots covered; 16 GB max.)
  • Motherboard: MB ECS H110H4-EM_DDR4 S1151 IPO V3
  • Optical drive: DVDRW LG GTC0N S2
  • Hard disk: * HDD 1TB WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 SATA 6 GB/s 64MB * SSD 2.5" 128GB Samsung MZNTY128HDHP
  • Network: * LAN (onBoard); 10/100/1000 Mbit; Realtek RTL8111GN * WLAN Edimax EW-7611MCB AC+BT b/g/n USB Card int.
  • Software: Preload System (Win 10 Home 64Bit) - No Disc!
  • Components: * * * * Connect CXSM V4.4CR/AUD R.34 G * HotSwap 5.25" bk/slv 6L05 CC V3 * PC KB USB GTech KB313U MD UI ncm V2 * Power supply Fortron FSP450-50AMDN EU/AU EUP * USB Mouse GTech MA105U MD ncm V3
This PC worked really well for every day gaming, but I recently decided to upgrade my CPU so I can stream and record videos. I ordered the Intel Core i5 9600KF, which suits my needs and my budget, but it seems it is not compatible with one or more of my current parts (I suspect the motherboard), as my PC won't boot with it installed. I also tried updating BIOS and resetting CMOS. I cannot return the CPU, as I already took it out and 'used' it.
This forced me to take on a new challenge: take out as much valuable parts (such as the storage, ram, graphics card and ofc the new CPU) and put them on a brand new motherboard and case. Because this happened so unexpectedly, I haven't been able to save money for it, so I'm not planning on spending big bucks. I just want to be able to stream and play games without any problems or lag.

Now, here comes the question for you guys: can somebody recommend me which parts I can take with me and which parts I need to replace (are not compatible with newer parts)? And which new parts will suit my needs best?

I started making a list on pccpartpicker.com, but it seems I can't choose my current memory and SSD on the site. I'm afraid those aren't compatible with my new CPU. Or maybe those are just too outdated?

Thank you so much!
---

Edit: I made a list on pcpartpicker.com containing parts I want to take with me (CPU, Storage & Video card) and new parts (all other stuff) that seem pretty good to me. What do you think? Are some choices maybe overkill?
Check out the list here: PCPARTPICKER LIST

Last edited:

Four years ago I bought a Medion Akoya pc (Medion Akoya P5385 E (MD 8847)) for a good price at ALDI. It has the following parts:

• Memory: 1x 8192 MB DDR4-SDRAM (PC4-17000 / 2133 MHz)Single / Dual channel mode (1/2 Slots covered; 16 GB max.)
  • Hard disk: * HDD 1TB WD10EZEX-21WN4A0 SATA 6 GB/s 64MB * SSD 2.5" 128GB Samsung MZNTY128HDHP
  • Network: * LAN (onBoard); 10/100/1000 Mbit; Realtek RTL8111GN * WLAN Edimax EW-7611MCB AC+BT b/g/n USB Card int.
  • Components: * * * * Connect CXSM V4.4CR/AUD R.34 G * HotSwap 5.25" bk/slv 6L05 CC V3 * PC KB USB GTech KB313U MD UI ncm V2 * Power supply Fortron FSP450-50AMDN EU/AU EUP * USB Mouse GTech MA105U MD ncm V3
This PC worked really well for every day gaming, but I recently decided to upgrade my CPU so I can stream and record videos. I ordered the Intel Core i5 9600KF, which suits my needs and my budget, but it seems it is not compatible with one or more of my current parts (I suspect the motherboard), as my PC won't boot with it installed. I also tried updating BIOS and resetting CMOS. I cannot return the CPU, as I already took it out and 'used' it.
This forced me to take on a new challenge: take out as much valuable parts (such as the storage, ram, graphics card and ofc the new CPU) and put them on a brand new motherboard and case. Because this happened so unexpectedly, I haven't been able to save money for it, so I'm not planning on spending big bucks. I just want to be able to stream and play games without any problems or lag.

Now, here comes the question for you guys: can somebody recommend me which parts I can take with me and which parts I need to replace (are not compatible with newer parts)? And which new parts will suit my needs best?

I started making a list on pccpartpicker.com, but it seems I can't choose my current memory and SSD on the site. I'm afraid those aren't compatible with my new CPU. Or maybe those are just too outdated?

Thank you so much!
---

Edit: I made a list on pcpartpicker.com containing parts I want to take with me (CPU, Storage & Video card) and new parts (all other stuff) that seem pretty good to me. What do you think? Are some choices maybe overkill?
I personally think that you could spend less money on the psu and motherboard (of course not cheap out) and then be able to get more storage like an m.2 or more ram etc.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for replying! Ok, sounds good! Which ones would you recommend?

The new PSU is absolutely fine and certainly not outlandish. There are only a handful of PSUs under $100 at the moment worth even looking at and $119 is a good price right now for a PSU of this quality. The motherboard you chose is fine too. The reason you ran into trouble is that no Skylake CPU works on anything past a 200 series motherboard.

I'd run away from this case, though. It's notorious for poor airflow.

Oct 25, 2020
The new PSU is absolutely fine and certainly not outlandish. There are only a handful of PSUs under $100 at the moment worth even looking at and $119 is a good price right now for a PSU of this quality. The motherboard you chose is fine too. The reason you ran into trouble is that no Skylake CPU works on anything past a 200 series motherboard.

I'd run away from this case, though. It's notorious for poor airflow.

Yeah, I figured about that problem. Thank you for explaining it, and thanks for the advice! Yes, I read some reviews about a bad airflow with the case I selected. It seemed not a big problem as it is ranked pretty high, and I really like the black-white design. But there are plenty of other options, so I'll reconsider it!

Oct 25, 2020
Is it physically possible to reuse my current SSD and HDD with this build though? Or is it recommended to upgrade that as well?
And: do I have to purchase Windows 10 again after the upgrade? :)

Is it physically possible to reuse my current SSD and HDD with this build though? Or is it recommended to upgrade that as well?
And: do I have to purchase Windows 10 again after the upgrade? :)
Generally storage can be easily re-used, but more than likely you will need to re-activate windows again if you change the motherboard.

Thank you so much!
---

The issue with the CPU is correct, your motherboard does not support it, CPU sockets and chipsets change quite often. Motherboards always have a compatibility listing of CPUs they can work with https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Support/EN/Motherboard/H110H4-M19/Socket 1151 Good idea to remember to look into parts first before buying them.

128 gb SSD is too small, 500 gb is a good size, more than enough to hold Windows and program installations. 128 will be almost maxed out in size and thus be pretty useless, it's sill to just have fast Windows load times when your programs are running off a slow platter disk. I'd use an M.2 for cleaner setup and no need for extra power/SATA cables to be ran to it. https://www.amazon.com/Black-SN750-Internal-Gaming-Heatsink/dp/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=332TRFTZPDGZ2&dchild=1&keywords=samsung+m.2+nvme&qid=1604090630&s=electronics&sprefix=samsung+m.,electronics,163&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNlhRVzZEQ1pTUlozJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM5MDM1MzhLR1ZYTFpVOUlKSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTExNjkwM0RSTk8wVTNROTJWUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
Or if you want to remove the motherboard heat spreader and use one from the drive there is this version
https://www.amazon.com/Black-SN750-Internal-Gaming-Heatsink/dp/B07MC2Q81D/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=332TRFTZPDGZ2&dchild=1&keywords=samsung+m.2+nvme&qid=1604090630&s=electronics&sprefix=samsung+m.,electronics,163&sr=1-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNlhRVzZEQ1pTUlozJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM5MDM1MzhLR1ZYTFpVOUlKSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTExNjkwM0RSTk8wVTNROTJWUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Going by the motherboard and case you picked I would spend a bit extra on some nice colored cable extensions to match the build (looks like a white/black theme) https://www.amazon.com/upHere-Sleev...VASHJ8B4SM3E&refRID=J4YHSK26VASHJ8B4SM3E&th=1

Spend a bit of time on the cable routing and that system will look great. I actually have a similar color scheme, with cables it looks like this with some lit up RAM and fans
Your motherboard will look nicer.

CkxN9pF.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Musakle