Best budget VR GPU?

Oct 10, 2018
I'm deciding on a new graphics card and I'm aiming for very high/ultra detail, 720p, 60+ or 90+ fps, Trinus VR gaming on my 2016 Gear VR.
Current Rig:
2x 8gb DDR3 RAM
Intel Core i5-3470 3.4GHz
Intel HD graphics 2500 :(

I want to play enderal, deus ex: mankind divided, Dying light, and Metro series in 3D VR. And if possible i want the GPU to hold up for 720p vr gaming for 2019 titles.
I've been using Intel HD for about a year. I've never gamed with a proper GPU before so i want this upgrade to really bang me haha. Thanks in advance

Solution
for 720p VR and 60+ fps I would say a 1070 get's the job done. but for those games you listed, I would say you need medium/high mix of settings or just medium since those games are brutal on hardware due to poor optimizations.

You could try to get away with a 1060 6GB but you are definitely going to be limited in game detail settings if you want 60 fps or more.

Because you kind of have to look at it this way, you want 720p VR, but keep in mind that the 720p resolution is for each eye, so essentially double that and that's what the GPU has to render. So basically you need to have a GPU that can handle 1440p at 60fps with high preset settings in those games you've listed and that's the GPU you would need. If willing to lower some...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
for 720p VR and 60+ fps I would say a 1070 get's the job done. but for those games you listed, I would say you need medium/high mix of settings or just medium since those games are brutal on hardware due to poor optimizations.

You could try to get away with a 1060 6GB but you are definitely going to be limited in game detail settings if you want 60 fps or more.

Because you kind of have to look at it this way, you want 720p VR, but keep in mind that the 720p resolution is for each eye, so essentially double that and that's what the GPU has to render. So basically you need to have a GPU that can handle 1440p at 60fps with high preset settings in those games you've listed and that's the GPU you would need. If willing to lower some quality options to medium then blast off you go with a 1070, or better a 1070ti because the price difference is pretty small.

However, you're running on an i5-3470 and that CPU will be a bottleneck for the performance of a 1070 or greater and barely on par for a 1060 6GB.

You can get a VR experience with your current CPU and 1060 6GB but you just have to lower game quality settings to about medium while turning off a couple of things like AA and have to deal with 45fps. When not playing in VR you'll easily get 1080p high settings at about 60fps in most games with the 1060 6GB.

That's about as best as I can explain it.

Solution