Best card for under $100 that doesn't use PSU

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I recently got a Lenovo H430 pc. The one with an i5-3330. It has 8 gigs of ram and integrated Intel graphics. I don't know what PSU it has, but I'm assuming it's a really crappy PSU.

I've heard there are video cards that can get all the power they need from the PCI e slot or what have you... I'm guessing I should stick with a card like that for this crappy Lenovo.

By the way, speaking of the Lenovo, it's not a full size tower. I'm not sure what size vid card can fit in there. The PC is stilled sealed in it's retail box (it's a Christmas gift)

Solution

also make sure to not mistakenly get the 7750 ddr3 version . get only gddr5 version only coz ddr3 is much slower than gddr5.
get either sapphire or xfx or gigabyte
G

You could probably get away with a GT 640 since it draws the power it needs from the PCIE slot itself (and if I am not mistaken, per the PCIE spec they supply up to 75 W alone.) The 640's spec'd to pull 65 W of that, so it's pretty much as good as your going to get (at least from Nvidia. I don't know about AMD.)

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I see, I guess I'll have to open up the box, and open up the PC and examine things. It's a Christmas gift for the family. I didn't want to open it all up and everything. I'll have to see if I get some time with the family out of the house to open everything up and then put everything back, etc..

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Ok, I opened up the tower, and got the Power Supply model #

It has a HuntKey HK380 12GP S2 power supply. It's a 280 watt PSU.

Here is a picture of the motheboard:

DCP_8544_zpsbd6a37b1.jpg

If you look at that picture, you'll notice that the video card slot is really close to the two memory stick slots. I'm wondering if I could safely put a video card in there, or if it will end up bumping into the memory sticks.

Here is anoher pic of the inside of the tower:

DCP_8541_zps4c9efaa5.jpg

I know that the PSU is a really crappy PSU, but the thing is, I was examining it, and it seems like it would be a SERIOUS pita to get that thing out of there, and put another PSU in there. It's like it's built onto the case, and not made to be removable.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I think I've heard that it uses slightly less power than a 640, so it's probably better from that aspect as well.

Is there a specific version of the 7750 that I should be looking for? Can I buy whichever 7750 Fry's ends up having a sale on in the near future, or do I need to make sure it's a specific brand ?

mohit9206

Distinguished

also make sure to not mistakenly get the 7750 ddr3 version . get only gddr5 version only coz ddr3 is much slower than gddr5.
get either sapphire or xfx or gigabyte

Solution