Best cat for 100ft ethernet cables?

Saberen

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I plan on running a long cable from one part of our house through the wall to another part. I want to know which CAT is best to reduce signal deterioration.

Cat5e unless you can get cat6 cheaper. Both will let you run at 1g to 100 meters. You could put in cat6a if you were thinking about 10g but it is likely many years off.

In any case make sure you get solid copper wire do not buy CCA cable even though it is cheaper. CCA cable does not meet the certifications and it tends to have strange issues with some of the wall plate connectors commonly used.

Saberen

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014

So something like this? http://www.ncix.com/detail/100ft-blue-molded-cat6-patch-d5-71732.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwpsGqBRCioKet--bp_QcSJADCtbsb6BhixCaNNL1euh7ZsOMVeJo3jBDoadWGEnmXJ9JxrxoCtc3w_wcB (i live in canada btw)

I have no knowledge of that provider or if that price is good. Shipping costs tend to make quite a difference between vendors when you buy only 1 cable. Many times it is cheaper to buy them at a local home improvement store.

That cable will likely work if you like it. Be very careful to protect the end if you are going to run that through walls. You do not want to break the plastic tab off.