Best Computer Monitors: October 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomIdiot23

Reputable
May 5, 2015
So is there even a 16:10 screen with a good framerate, barely play games that aren't better at that so would be nice to see...

Monitors are about the most exciting thing right now, with cpu and gpu performance relatively stagnant and moderate game requirements, nothing really exciting is happening, its a good time to look at a new monitor. Weather it larger, higher res, high refresh rate. The only issue i have is the extreme price difference vs performance from a low end screen to a high end one, and the fact that you cant have everything. High refresh rate, ips, uhd don't all exist in one package. What i would really want is an ultra wide 32"+ 120hz ips for around $500......yes i am dreaming.....

Hmmm, the low-budget segment seems to be missing. None of my monitors cost more than $150, and all have even illumination and good response times. They're "only" 60Hz IPS panels. It would be nice if a couple of them had speakers (even cheesy monitor speakers; they're on a secondary PC and my test bench where "any" sound is all I really need), but for the price I paid, I cannot complain.

FabioZ

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
I'l say it again and again if I have to: this needs a mainstream/budget category! For people that want to watch some movies, work some, play some and not be ripped of.

Adroid

Distinguished
It's a bit of a disappointment all the "gaming" screens are 16:9. 16:10 is a superior aspect ratio, period. Whats not to like, same width, more height... This is especially true in RTS and MOBA style games, where the enemy comes from the top/bottom of the screen more frequently, not just left/right as in most FPS...
I believe that the masses have never tried a 16:10 panel. 1080p is now the standard, and the manufacturers win here because they are cheaper to produce, and the advertising teams play along as well.
It's a disservice to gamers everywhere for the manufacturers to be allowed to take a turn for the worst. 1080p is sold as the superior media/movie/gaming screen which is simply not true.

If the mainstream gamer comes to the realize that 16:10 aspect ratio is superior, the market will have to follow the trend. That means we could start seeing 16:10 in IPS overclocked to higher refresh rates, GSync, etc.

I encourage anyone reading this to do a little research on the matter. 16:10 is the way to go...

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
How far away do you think we are from a single monitor that supports both G-Sync and FreeSync (or convergence of the protocols)? Over the years I've moved back and forth between AMD and NVidia, and with a gaming rig buy new video cards more frequently than new monitors. I foresee a bunch of people unwilling to buy too soon for risk of losing nice features if they commit for the next X years and then change video card brands.

Yes, I know fans of one or the other will chime in here, but historically both companies have had their turn at being the best and the worst, and that will continue.

Adroid

Distinguished

Sad, and a bit ironic, but probably true. People spend 250-500$ + on a graphics card, then buy the cheapest 1080p TN panel they can find for 200$. Talk about looking at a beautiful picture through a glass of muddy water.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Adroid, the people that do thus are chasing frame rates for gaming. Nothing wrong with a quick response TN panel with LED backlighting. Fact is, most people don't see a need for a 1080P panel at over 23" and don't care about perfect color reproduction. Cost is more important to most of us.

Dragon4570

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
One thing I would like to se ncluded these reviews and roundups is the bezel width measurements for those of us looking to put up a 3X1 portrait or landscape setup or a 3 over 3 setup of multiple monitors so we can figure that part out as well.

Aug 15, 2013
Tom's,

I really appreciate this article since it helps me sort through monitors for clients fairly quickly. However, the most common question I get asked is "what's the best monitor under $200?". So, it'd be awesome if you guys could do a test of a bunch of sub $200 1080p monitors and then list them here.

It's a bit of a disappointment all the "gaming" screens are 16:9. 16:10 is a superior aspect ratio, period. Whats not to like, same width, more height... This is especially true in RTS and MOBA style games, where the enemy comes from the top/bottom of the screen more frequently, not just left/right as in most FPS...
I believe that the masses have never tried a 16:10 panel. 1080p is now the standard, and the manufacturers win here because they are cheaper to produce, and the advertising teams play along as well.
It's a disservice to gamers everywhere for the manufacturers to be allowed to take a turn for the worst. 1080p is sold as the superior media/movie/gaming screen which is simply not true.

If the mainstream gamer comes to the realize that 16:10 aspect ratio is superior, the market will have to follow the trend. That means we could start seeing 16:10 in IPS overclocked to higher refresh rates, GSync, etc.

I encourage anyone reading this to do a little research on the matter. 16:10 is the way to go...

It might have to do with 16:9 not having any disadvantage when watching movies where as in a 16:10 ratio, your image will be shrunk to fit your screen, with a widescreen movie.

P.S. Where was the ROG Swift in this roundup?

Adroid

Distinguished

Well 16:9 has the same border. Not really that much a difference. What are you gaining on a 24" monitor anyway, 1/4" back of the 1 1/2" of real estate you lost going from 16:9 to 16:10?

How many people actually watch movies on their TN gaming panel anyway? Movies belong in the living room!

Status
Not open for further replies.