Best Cooling (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

This awards showcase really should be called "for the money" since so many of the awards are for value. It's been a while since either of those brands had the best overall performance or the best performance-per-dollar, so that knocks out the Editor's Choice and Recommended awards.

Moving forward we'll only have Editor's Choice. That could leave the articles a little sparse?

Garrett Carver is evaluating some high-end gear so Editor's Choice is still a possibility.

Cordt_

Commendable
May 10, 2016
You forgot to add that Noctua will send you a new bracket for free for any newly released socket.

Rexer

Distinguished
I never see Noctua NH12S listed anywhere. Must be listed under stove pipes. Most of them seem pretty heavy they could bow the board. Meh, I don't make a habit of bone jarring my desktop up and down the stairs so all is good.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can only assume that you're referring to the NH-U12S

Rexer

Distinguished

Rexer

Distinguished
Hey, Yeah.. Your right. I stand corrected! Noctua is the brand most reviewers like to review. But I don't hear much about the 5 pipe NH-U12S. It looks more substantial than most 4 pipe coolers and slightly lighter than the twin fan, 6 pipe+ models out there. Lately, I've taken weight into account because motherboards aren't design to hold hanging weight unless reinforced. Solder has some flexing quality but vibrations give it a life span. Owning something big and heavy in a computer has been my demise as my R9 390x has proven; remove it if you move your PC a lot.
Some of these cooling jobbies are near 3 pounds of hanging weight off the motherboard (course, that's doesn't include those people who like to lay their computer flat). But 3 lbs. is a lot of weight.
I believe Noctua NH-U12S may be the best overall, based on cooling ability and weight. It's doesn't have huge area to create drag (maybe a good reason for 2 fans) plus 5 pipe cooling. Two fans are only a marginal difference, around 4c to 7c. Considering the best air coolers are strongly competing against liquid cooling at a marginal difference of 5c to 10c. Even then that difference is probably only seen by overclockers who'r punching it up pass 4.5 gb. and 1.4v
Nobody reviews the NH-U12S. So what do I know? The internet is full of 'unboxers'. I bet it beats the NH-U9S.

Status
Not open for further replies.