Best cpu cooler for 4670k

sandals100

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Hi I just finished overclocking my i5 4670k to 4.1 ghz at 1.236 volts on a Zalman CNPS90F cooler. I tested everything using Aida64 and Realtemp and found that underfull load that my temps never broken 73 degrees celcius and even lower with the air con turned on. I was hoping for a better overclock but I am limited by heat as I can't go any higher on the voltage without seeing my temps sky rocket.

This is why I am looking for a new cooler. I was hoping for a closed loop water cooler as I have high profile ram that will obstruct many coolers such as the 212 EVO. My ram is approximately 40 cm high (from mobo plastic to top of heatsink). My preferred budget is 150$ and below. Also I live in australia so I cannot purchase anything from NewEgg, so please do not suggest products that are only available from that site.

My system:
i5 4670k @ 4.1ghz 1.236 volts (Looking to oc higher)
ASUS Z87m-Plus motherboard
G.Skill 16gb ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314)
<-- 2 of these kits
Zalman Z11-Plus case
Asus GTX 760

Solution

The noctua's in the next list are compatibel with your ram,

PCPartPicker part list

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($95.00 @ PLE Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM...

sandals100

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I forgot to add. Before I try a new cooler should I try a new paste. I was looking at the Mx-4 by Arctic as NCIX found that it performed the best out of 4 common thermal greases.

I recommend keeping 4.1 or 4.2GHz. For one thing, you'd likely not get above 4.5GHz anyway, and since games won't really benefit beyond 4GHz with that CPU it's a lot of money to spend for almost no benefit (if any).

I believe your max temp is 105degC, so it's generally more about reducing FAN NOISE than keeping cool enough to prevent crashing.

Main reasons overclocking fails:
1) CPU can't go any higher physically (not all CPU's are identical even in the same model)

2) Motherboard voltage isn't quite stable enough

3) CPU VRM's overheat (some times an issue with liquid cooling which is why some experts change the radiator fans to intake to blow more air towards CPU)

Other:
I personally use 4.2GHz for two reasons:
1) There are almost no games that benefit at all beyond, and
2) I can keep the Intel Power Management profile so my system runs much cooler, and my fan doesn't even get noticeably louder even when the CPU is at 100% converting video.

I simply change to MANUAL in the BIOS, and set each core Multiplier to "42"; you'll also want to verify your DDR3 settings don't change from the recommended (i.e. 1866MHz if that's what you bought).

WHICH CPU COOLER?
For the CPU VRM cooling issue, and knowing that this Noctua is good enough I recommend THIS one if needed: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=63&lng=en

It's about $65 USD I believe. I have the great NH-D14 however the fans are Voltage and you likely want PWM or you may not be able to control fan speed.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

The noctua's in the next list are compatibel with your ram,

PCPartPicker part list

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($95.00 @ PLE Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.00 @ CPL Online)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $601.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 22:50 EST+1100)

Look for the clearance of the NH-D14 here if you want to check for yourself,
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en
for the other one,
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=63&lng=en (it states "100% RAM compatibility")
Looking at the prices will the nh-d14 be a good choice.Compare the coolers in reviews,there's probably one to be found where they all are compared,It hink on OC3D if i'm not mistaken ... yep,
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_h75_review/1
maybe look for some other reviews to compare if you want to.

So i also added a few 120mm water coolers that should fitt your case.I don't think it takes 240mm rad's .

Solution

sandals100

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Wow mate you did a lot of research and I am greatful for that. I just have some worry with air coolers because in Australia the temps skyrocket. Sometimes 35 regress all day. I was leaning towards water coolers because I cab get the heat out of the case directly rather than having to use other components to exhaust the heat. The siedon is bigger but I have heard that the h80i performs better I am unsure if this is true but I was hoping to save money and get the siedon as long as it works if not I am willing to vet what works

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Looking at the price differnce and that it might give just a few degrees difference would imo price performance wise the cooler master be the best choice if you don't really mind the noise at max fanspeed.

TRENDING THREADS