matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
Hello! I need a hardware expert advice! :D
I bought my laptop in 2012, its a HP Pavilion g6 2212es with the next specs:
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 183E
Socket: rPGA988B
Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)
CPU : i5 - 3210M (2C/4T, 2.5GHz - 3.1GHz Ivy Bridge)
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz (added 8GB last week)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7600M
HDD: 500GB
SSD: 240 GB (added last week)
PSU: 7100mAh (added las week)
I was using this laptop during the first 2 years, after that, I built a desktop PC and laptop rested in peace until now, that I need it for work and study. So last week I upgraded RAM, SSD, and PSU. (The laptop was like totally DEAD) but Im having some troubles with CPU, like 100% usage, fan spinning so fast (I disambled the fan and cleaned it and replaced thermal paste). So i thinks its bcs it only has 2 cores, and I'm doing kind of multitasking (browser, whatsapp app, videos, spoty, excel, word).
So I decided to look for a CPU update: the I7- 3840QM. I confirmed its compatible with my board (I guess) but I'm afraid of power consumption from 35 TDP to 45 TDP, and maybe higher temps, from 2C/4T, 2.5GHz - 3.1GHz to 4C/8T 2.8GHz to 3.8Ghz).
Should I go for it or maybe look for an i7 ''lighter'' version?

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
I hate to promote the "throw away society", but..... how much are you spending on all these upgrades?

RAM and SSD are easy upgrades. CPU swaps get a little more dicey as far as compatibility. Sounds like you're doing your research first though.

I spent like 100€ upgrading SSD, PSU and RAM. Upgrading to i7-3840QM will cost me an extra 150€. A total of 250€, that's less than a new laptop. And I guess that are good specs for a laptop. (Im not using it for gaming).

But I don't know if worth the CPU upgrade, If I won't have high temp or battery problems.

Hello! I need a hardware expert advice! :D
I bought my laptop in 2012, its a HP Pavilion g6 2212es with the next specs:
I was using this laptop during the first 2 years, after that, I built a desktop PC and laptop rested in peace until now, that I need it for work and study. So last week I upgraded RAM, SSD, and PSU. (The laptop was like totally DEAD) but Im having some troubles with CPU, like 100% usage, fan spinning so fast (I disambled the fan and cleaned it and replaced thermal paste). So i thinks its bcs it only has 2 cores, and I'm doing kind of multitasking (browser, whatsapp app, videos, spoty, excel, word).
So I decided to look for a CPU update: the I7- 3840QM. I confirmed its compatible with my board (I guess) but I'm afraid of power consumption from 35 TDP to 45 TDP, and maybe higher temps, from 2C/4T, 2.5GHz - 3.1GHz to 4C/8T 2.8GHz to 3.8Ghz).
Should I go for it or maybe look for an i7 ''lighter'' version?
You might want to look and see if it's a replaceable part.
Might be soldered on the mobo.

Reactions: tennis2

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
Thats not exactly the biggest performance upgrade.
Whats the rest of the specs of your laptop? What specifically are you upgrading for?
Is your cooling system up to the task of the higher TDP processors?

My specs:

I already upgraded:
  • added 8 GB RAM
  • added 240GB SSD
  • added 7100mAh PSU

I had 2 options buy a new laptop for a minimun of 400€ or upgrade old one for 180-250€. I just need it for work and study.
Im already using it for that and I feel like de i5 cant handle the multitasking I need to do.

How Do I know if my cooling system is up to the task of higher TDP??

You would basically look at your temps now and how well the laptop is keeping up, the I7s would produce somewhere around 20% more heat.

Honestly for that price, I would recommend saving up for something more modern. Piecing together a system with older hardware is a stopgap at best, and usually results in worse performance per dollar.

What sort of multitasking are we talking? How are you usages during your typical workload?

Reactions: matute1172

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
You would basically look at your temps now and how well the laptop is keeping up, the I7s would produce somewhere around 20% more heat.

Honestly for that price, I would recommend saving up for something more modern. Piecing together a system with older hardware is a stopgap at best, and usually results in worse performance per dollar.

What sort of multitasking are we talking? How are you usages during your typical workload?

Save for modern? Should I change motherboard?? I mean if I want to upgrade CPU im limited by motherboard and this are the compatible CPUs:

https://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket G2 (rPGA988B).html

I need to use word, excel, browser, whatsapp app, spotify (not needed but makes work easier). And I will need it for programming or trading,. Do in it now with browser, whatsapp, spoty and discord opened its like 50% usage at 54ºC

My specs:

I already upgraded:
  • added 8 GB RAM
  • added 240GB SSD
  • added 7100mAh PSU
I had 2 options buy a new laptop for a minimun of 400€ or upgrade old one for 180-250€. I just need it for work and study.
Im already using it for that and I feel like de i5 cant handle the multitasking I need to do.

How Do I know if my cooling system is up to the task of higher TDP??
Does HP show those cpu's as being an upgrade option for this laptop?

I'm not asking what the mobo will accept I'm asking what HP will accept.

If HP does not show the upgrade option you might run into a bios issue.

Save for modern? Should I change motherboard?? I mean if I want to upgrade CPU im limited by motherboard and this are the compatible CPUs:

https://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket G2 (rPGA988B).html

I need to use word, excel, browser, whatsapp app, spotify (not needed but makes work easier). And I will need it for programming or trading,. Do in it now with browser, whatsapp, spoty and discord opened its like 50% usage at 54ºC
If youre sitting at 50% usage you will gain nothing from an upgrade.

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
Apart from RAM and maybe an SSD (which you've already done)...trying to "upgrade" a decade old laptop is a waste of time, effort, and money.

You can only maybe change the CPU within that same generation.
So it is still a decade old platform.
Yeah Im limited by the motherboard I know. But my question is, if I decide to upgrade, (still having a decade old platform) worth the invest in terms of performance?

Is there any posibility of getting a more modern mobo compatible with my PC? So I could get also modern CPU (just wondering xd)

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah Im limited by the motherboard I know. But my question is, if I decide to upgrade, (still having a decade old platform) worth the invest in terms of performance?

Is there any posibility of getting a more modern mobo compatible with my PC? So I could get also modern CPU (just wondering xd)
"Worth" is only something you can decide. (personally, I wouldn't)
Even if changing that CPU is a possibility.

Cooling and the BIOS may prevent, even if the socket is compatible.

In a laptop, motherboards are not changeable.
Unlike desktops, there is no ATX standard.

Each shell, motherboard, CPU, and cooling situation is designed together.

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
"Worth" is only something you can decide. (personally, I wouldn't)
Even if changing that CPU is a possibility.

Cooling and the BIOS may prevent, even if the socket is compatible.

In a laptop, motherboards are not changeable.
Unlike desktops, there is no ATX standard.

Each shell, motherboard, CPU, and cooling situation is designed together.

Even if I get i7-3632QM? Its same freq. but 4c/8t and also same TDP for 80€ with double cache.

I'm going to speak of this more in terms of a hobby or tinker project rather than a cost effective/conscious upgrade. (nothing wrong with that)
If you've got 80€ laying around, I'd say go for it. Don't be surprised/disappointed if the CPU swap doesn't work.
Post here and on other forums of your success/failure so future hobbyists can reference.

Last edited:

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to speak of this more in terms of a hobby or tinker project rather than a cost effective/conscious upgrade. (nothing wrong with that)
If you've got 80€ laying around, I'd say go for it. Don't be surprised/disappointed if the CPU swap doesn't work.
Post here and on other forums of your success/failure so future hobbyists can reference.

I guess I'm going for the swap. In case it does not work I can return the CPU.

Should I go for the 3632QM for 80€ or for the 3840QM for 150€??

matute1172

Honorable
Oct 26, 2017
I'd go with the 3632QM. Don't see the 3840 performing anywhere near twice as fast when it's only got 20% higher frequency potential.
I'd go with the 3632QM. Don't see the 3840 performing anywhere near twice as fast when it's only got 20% higher frequency potential.
And what about i7-3740QM for the same price than 3632QM? [80€]. It is very similar to 3840QM, but half price