Best CPUs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRNG

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of the Intel Core i5-8400 as a good value. But then I consider that by the time you need to get a more powerful CPU to keep up with mid-tier gaming performance, you'll either have to get a 8700K or a newer "good value" CPU. The newer "value" CPU will invariable fail to work on your Z370 motherboard, so you'll have to buy a new motherboard and probably RAM in order to use it.

I don't have much of a problem with the fact that Intel keeps doing this. Because 99% of all computer end-users upgrade the platform as a whole. It's been five years for me, so of course I'm going to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, and RAM at the same time. But when I do, I'll be getting a much more powerful CPU than the 8400 to future-proof it and save money in the long run.

bollwerk

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Seems strange to me that the i5-8400 (best value) is showing cheaper (179) than your budget pick (Ryzen 5 2400G). Maybe just a pricing fluctuation anomaly?

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Dual cores in 2018 for gaming are a NO-NO. unless you love to have stuttering with the cpu pegged at 100% all the time, even the i3 8100 hovers near 100% on a GTX1060 in newer games while the 2400G dances around 75-85%

mrmez

Splendid

An 8100 is better for gaming than a 2400G. What are you on about?

The 2400G is ranked as the 75th fastest CPU, the 8100 45th fastest, even though it's much cheaper.
The 8350k is ranked 19th fastest without overclocking, and costs the same as a 2400G

No idea as well. I used to be a strong advocate of using Intel CPUs for gaming for a long time, but picking G4560, a dual core with HT for cheapest gaming in 2018 is beyond my understanding. I would choose 2200G APU any day over it, even if it is slightly more expensive. 4 real cores and much better integrated GPU far outweigh the slight difference in price. What bothers me even more is that 2200G gets no mention at all, nowhere. But Ryzen 1200 does.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Agree completely. However, the category is for CPUs under $100, and there are no Ryzens below that price.

That said, it would be very interesting to see a battle of a Ryzen 3 2100G (2C/4T) versus the G4560 (also 2C/4T), both overclockable and with stock coolers :D

Feb 16, 2018
"If you have or will soon buy a graphics card, the Ryzen 5 2400G is not the best option, as the processor and graphics cores have to share power."

Would someone mind expanding on this for me? I was thinking about using the onboard video and then buying a video card later on when I don't have to sell an arm and part of a leg to buy a card. I understand that the onboard video and processor share power, but besides the price issues, what is the downside to running the 2400G with a video card?

"It comes with a bundled cooler and will make a good companion for B- and H-Series motherboards when they arrive early next year. For now, Z370 motherboards are the only option,"

I assume you mean "this year"?

RCaron

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Funny how this list hasn't been updated when Tom's already said that AMD's 2300G (sub $100 APU) "offers offers more performance in threaded workloads than Intel’s $85 Pentium G4620, decimating that chip's HD Graphics 630 solution in the process."

So if it wipes the floor with the G4620, then it kills the 4520, and is sub $100.

Why put out a list if you're not going to update it?

RCaron

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
@TLRHODES

There is no downside.
And PAUL, for christs sake.. If you're buying an APU and you're worried about electricity, then you SaS won't be buying a GPU.

Get the APU, get a GPU when the prices fall.
Also, the APU's support Vulcan API which can call on multiple video cards within a system. It just needs to be called on (programmed) within the game or the OS. It may also be possible to dedicate the system to use the APU, freeing up the GPU for the game. But all of that needs to be programmed within windows, or the game itself.

nVidia also supports Vulcan API on it's GPU's.

SR TEE

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
The AMD APUs seem like a decent solution for people that can't afford the way overprices GPUs now, but I pray miners don't find a way to make them work for them as well. If that's the case these miners would buy as many APUs as they could and use them to mine as well as with their current GPUs :(.

@tlrhodes - as RCaron says, there isn't really a downside performance wise - they perform to all intents & purposes the same as a 1300x.

The sole downsides are

1. The cooler honestly isnt that great.
2. You're taking a chance on boards at the minute because most stuff in retail stocks is going to need a bios update.

Status
Not open for further replies.