sakrueger2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Can someone pls recommend an eSATA external drive. I read a review on ExtremeTech.com that gave the Calvary CAXM37500
500GB a good rating. Anyone have any experience with this drive?
Thx

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

You might want to consider putting it together yourself. You can choose the drive you want, likely will be cheaper, and you can always replace the drive.

SmokeOnH20

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007

Hi, I just builded a new system with P5KC + C2D6750. I am trying to install XP on a external drive but I have some problem. First when I connect a external drive via USB, I am unable to boot the system as it hangs. Has anybody tried installating OS to a external drive and boot from it?

Thank you and best regards

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I think you'd be much better off installing the OS and programs on an internal drive and if you want a back up, image it to the external. eSATA connections would give you close to the speed of an internal but USB will be slower.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

No, I think it would be better to run it as an internal drive, would be faster and less likely having problems with the drive being recognized as the boot drive. At least from me, external drives are best for backup as well as mobility, e.g., sharing files with someone. Is there a particular reason you want the OS and programs on an external drive?

MichaelAbbott

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i think windows has some problems with booting as a USB device (due to copying and illegal sharing i have a feeling its blocked) , and anyway as g-paw said booting on the on-board HDD is probably much faster than an external one

SmokeOnH20

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for your reply. My main idea is because I am having 2 OS and I dont want to dual boot. What I am doing now is to connect and dis-connect the internal hard disk and in time to come, I know it will crash.

I tried the BIOS and it show only 1 hard disk for boot sequence (I have 2 internal hard disk both SATA with 1 OS on each XP and Vista).

That is why I am looking for external booting.