Best Gaming CPUs For The Money: September 2010

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necromas

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]Makaveli[/nom]while the microcenter deal is a great one its a m00t point why?Because there isn't microcenter in every state and their certainly are none in canada or europe.What good is gas being cheap in texas if I live in New york![/citation]

So they shouldn't even mention it for the people who do live near enough to one? I'm not saying get rid of the 760 from the list, I'm just saying point it out.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Necromas[/nom]So they shouldn't even mention it for the people who do live near enough to one? I'm not saying get rid of the 760 from the list, I'm just saying point it out.[/citation]

Microcenters do not ship anywhere, North America included. That means you have to live by one. I don't think it's reasonable to start comparing local sales for a nationally-targeted article. We have to draw the line somewhere.

G

To me it seems that if AMD took there Phenom II X2 and added enough cashe to occupy the space of 4 cores to the L3 and added the L1 and L2 cashe of the now missing 4 cores to the remaining 2 cores they might have semi-contender. Or just add 24M of cashe to the L3

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
It's nice to see the i7-950 drop in price, but the 930 is still going to be everybody's favorite. Except for mine, as my i7-980X is a bamf. Got it paired up with some GTX 480s and 12 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866. I'm not an Intel fanboy, but I am quite disappointed by AMD's offerings. Whenever they feel like adding in some Hyperthreading equivalent I'll but their processors again. But for now I'll stick with Intel. At least they keep Intel's prices down a little :D

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
@lotus
I believe this is the statement from that first article Doron listed that re: Far Cry 2 at ultra settings w/ AA/AF enabled:
"With AA enabled at 2560x1600, the single Radeon HD 5850 bottlenecks the system to our lowest average for acceptable playability at 40 FPS. CPU performance is barely a factor."

tmc

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
If we're talking about a firmware/software patch that enables a faster running chip to be "crippled" featurewise then be "UNLOCKED" that leads to a whole industry of chip hacking... So, intel dippint that toe in the water might have itself burnt off... but whatever.. go for it... see what happens.

cyric_74

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I'm looking at a new laptop, my current is :
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor1 T5750 (2.00GHz, 667MHz, 2MB L2 cache)

The new one I'm looking at is :
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core P820 (1.8GHz)

I mostly use the laptop to play Civ4, found a benchmark listing where Passmark lists the AMD CPU at 282 and the intel far down the list at 484.

What do you guys think, will I actually be upgrading?
Obviously Civ4 is not written for mutlicore and wont' be taking advantage of the 3 cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS