Best gaming monitor for £200-300

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I am currently using an IPS panel with 60Hz which looks brilliant, but when it comes to FPS games I find it a bit hard to play on.
I am looking to get a higher Hz monitor with low input lag and latency.

I have a budget of 200-300 pounds (UK) and I am not sure what to go for. I am likely going to be gaming on a GTX 1070 as I am upgrading soon, I assume 1080p is my best bet but I don't know much about TN compared to VA panels.

What are the best looking and responding monitors in that price range, are there any popular choices or obvious favourites? I don't know a whole lot about free sync and the likes either.

Any info or recommendations are appreciated.

What size are you looking for?

Most would, I think, agree 1080 is best suited sizes around 24", if you're looking for larger sizes, 2560x1440 is a better resolution.

Bad news is that sub £300 Gsync displays are few and far between, the good news is that a Freesync display will work perfectly with an Nvidia card, but you WILL lose out on a fully variable refresh rate.
Further good news is that 24" 144Hz Freesync displays are easily available for under £300, although most 2560x1440 144Hz panels are out of reach.
Only potential fly in the ointment is Freesync, unlike Gsync allows sub 144Hz displays to qualify, so check the specs carefully to ensure the display you're thinking of actually supports this high refresh rate.

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
To expand, the budget for the monitor is up to 300, I have the GPU upgrade sorted already.

Size isn't a big concern for me, I would go for whatever offers the best picture, response and frequency for the price as priorities, 24 inch would be fine, and anything larger I could go with but pixel density would be a bit of a worry if it was 1080p.
I am not entirely sure what Freesync and Gsync are and how they work which is why I didn't want to commit to a monitor before asking here.

I was looking at the following monitor
https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/samsung-c24fg70fqu-23-5-inch-led-monitor-169-1-ms/lc24fg70fquxen.html?gclid=CMDZ78Gdl9MCFdMK0wodIvQF5w#utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

However I don't see a specification for the refresh rate and I am not sure how I would like a curve display.

I was also looking at that Ben Q monitor just posted as well, but I am not sure what panel type it is, I hear VA is supposed to be a good middle ground between IPS and TN.

More data on the Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-products/business-monitor/performance/LC24FG70FQUXEN
It's a little bit more expensive than TN panels of equal size but will give a picture quality that's second to none: VA panels offer the best overall colours and by far the best contrast of all panel types and have long been used by graphics professionals because to this.

Google both Gsync and Freesync if you're curious but Freesync won't work with an Nvidia card-they just don't support it end of.
Good news is that Nvidia DO include a setting in their driver suite called 'Adaptive Sync' which does a pretty good job of emulating the more subtle variable refresh tech.

If you're wondering why we (or at least I) have suggested a Freesync display when your planned GTX1070 can't use it the reason is; it's the cheapest way to get a high refresh display there's no sub £300 Gsync panel out there.

One point, what display and GPU are you currently using? I'm not sure you NEED to upgrade the display, at least not yet, your posts suggest that right now you're having problems with frame rate rather than a display issue per se.

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I believe the monitor is the Asus MX239H.
I am comfortably able to get 60fps, I just find that in FPS games particularly it doesn't feel enough. in quick movements things seem a bit awkward. It's not a huge issue, I just think a faster refresh rate might be a good option.

Out of those two monitors (the Samsung and Ben Q Zowie) is the Samsung a better option?
Is there any disadvantage to having a VA panel compared to TN. Does it suffer any latency or lag issues in comparison.

Is screen tearing that big of an issue at higher frame rates? I can't say I notice it much at the moment. Is G sync a sizeable improvement or is it ok to get a monitor with FreeSync even though you have an Nvidia card?

Agree with Chugalug on the Samsung monitor-good find.

I'm not getting any screen tearing with my setup-GTX1080 on a 2560x1440 Freesync display-using the adaptive refresh option in the Nvidia driver suite makes the system behave as if I was using a full AMD card so I don't expect you to run into any issues with a GTX1070/HD display.

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

That's one issue with pcpartpicker, peripherals and monitors don't get kept up to date as much as pc components so I would always shop around for bits like that.
Good to see it is a viable monitor as it did look the part.
Not sure what quantum dot actually is but I was told VA would look better than TN.
Still a little worried with the curve display as I have no idea if it's a good set up for FPS games and can't try it, let alone trial it before buying, and I can't find much info online about it as I assume they are not yet popular which is a slight worry. The Zowie Ben Q seems very highly rated and recommend but I don't see why the curve should limit an otherwise brilliant looking display.

That's good to hear, G sync seems well out the budget for what I want. How exactly does adaptive refresh work? Is it similar in that you set the output to the refresh rate to that of the monitor?

I think I will take the plunge with it.

Adaptive refresh = G-Sync, Vsync, Freesync.
Different methods of frame processing, G-Sync is the best, Freesync is pretty much a lower latency V-Sync with slightly smoother images and V-Sync is, well, V-Sync. :p
No point getting G-Sync at 1080p, at that stage you'd be paying the difference for a better GPU.

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Well I made the order, after cash back it worked out about 5 pound more than the Zowie monitor.
Think it will be a welcome upgrade even if it's not the ideal monitor (will see how I like the curve soon enough) as everything else seems to tick the boxes.

I take it you've opted for that superb Samsung? ;)

Just to clear up a little:
Both Gsync and Freesync work by actively synchronising the monitor to the GPU output, so if the GPU is providing 100FPS the refresh is changed to 100Hz, if the GPU is providing 144FPS the refresh is set to that, it's a constant change and keeps screen tearing to a minimum.

Adaptive sync is slightly different, it turns Vsync on once the framerate exceeds 60FPS and off again when the framerate drops below that, to reduce stuttering (which can lead to tearing) so it's not ideal. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync

Adaptive sync in the Nvidia driver suite is found at: Open the Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3d Settings>scroll down to 'vertical sync' and change it to 'adaptive'-don't forget to apply the change.
If you're playing older games, also se the 'preferred refresh rate' to highest available.

mattamomo

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

I have indeed, thanks for the help.

Now to make sure I can make the most of it.
Unsure whether to go for a used 980ti or a new 1070. Would save £100 going for the 980ti and I hear the performance is similar.

I am also going to upgrade my CPU I think, need to find out if a Ryzen 5 1500x -1600x will handle 144hz.

sputnIK_

Prominent
May 9, 2017
If I were you, I might want to go with this one
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Monitor-non-Glare-Optix-G27C/dp/B01N5RD30P/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494363876&sr=1-1&keywords=gaming+monitor&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011
It's a 27 inch 1080p monitor with a 144hz refresh rate, which is great for gaming. It is curved, though, and this might not be the best for you though, and, as I am not aware of your personal preferences don't know whether you would mind or not. I personally prefer curved as opposed to flat screen, but that's just me.