[SOLVED] Best Gaming Monitor In 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi,

What is the best gaming monitor in 2020?

My wanted specs on monitor:

2k Quality
144hz or more
1ms - 4ms Response time
Display port
IPS Panel

Budget is around: £700

Please provide full monitor names for best monitor for me thanks. And this can help others as well.

Solution
Both are good considering the price and options.

The Asus PG279Q and Acer Predator are usually the top choices for best IPS 1440p monitors. The Asus TUF lacks a few things to keep the cost down but still has a good IPS panel.

In this case it's about your budget.

Either would be a solid choice.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I’ve just gone with the LG 27GL83A-B although had to order from Amazon Germany as I could not find it in stock in the UK. It cost £419 delivered and seems to get equally good reviews to the more expensive equivalents from others, it’s just missing some of the gaming styling and RGB https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl83a-b

There is also the near identical LG 27GL850-B https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-B

I am currently viewing the Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz which has G-sync and only £630 and has most of the features I would like.

But there are soooo many monitors out there right now it's so hard. I would of get that monitor yo had but they are out of stock in the UK for some reason, and no idea when back in stock.

FYI both of those I linked have certified G-Sync support so actually support both types of adaptive sync, that was a key selling point to me as I want to keep my future GPU upgrade options open. I’m using mine with a 2080 Super.

The GL83A is available at Amazon Germany and using the Google translate for the web page was very easy to order. It is currently €479 and if you have prime delivery is free. https://www.amazon.de/LG-27GL83A-B-...Ñ&keywords=LG+27GL83A-B&qid=1578909934&sr=8-1

I looked at the XB271HU but I couldn't see a good reason to pay an extra £150-£200 for it.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
FYI both of those I linked have certified G-Sync support so actually support both types of adaptive sync, that was a key selling point to me as I want to keep my future GPU upgrade options open. I’m using mine with a 2080 Super.

The GL83A is available at Amazon Germany and using the Google translate for the web page was very easy to order. It is currently €479 and if you have prime delivery is free. https://www.amazon.de/LG-27GL83A-B-UltragearTM-Monitor-schwarz/dp/B07XVYGWSM/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=LG+27GL83A-B&qid=1578909934&sr=8-1

I looked at the XB271HU but I couldn't see a good reason to pay an extra £150-£200 for it.
I think one of the reasons is just the fact the monitor I'm looking at comes from the UK. With this in mind the delivery will come quicker, and if there was any dead pixels or some kind of backlight bleed error. I am able to contact UK sellers.

The monitor I am looking at is also build in G-Sync. I guess the monitor I am looking at is very similar to your own monitor just a different brand and style I guess. But all pretty much the same specs

I think one of the reasons is just the fact the monitor I'm looking at comes from the UK. With this in mind the delivery will come quicker, and if there was any dead pixels or some kind of backlight bleed error. I am able to contact UK sellers.

The monitor I am looking at is also build in G-Sync. I guess the monitor I am looking at is very similar to your own monitor just a different brand and style I guess. But all pretty much the same specs

You have a fair point and having a UK company is definitely worth something. As for built in G-Sync I couldn’t see any benefit over a certified monitor in the independent reviews. Again though if it’s something you want then fair enough.

I have no doubt you would be very happy with the XB271HU, the reviews are very strong.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
You have a fair point and having a UK company is definitely worth something. As for built in G-Sync I couldn’t see any benefit over a certified monitor in the independent reviews. Again though if it’s something you want then fair enough.

I have no doubt you would be very happy with the XB271HU, the reviews are very strong.
Thank you. Yes like your current monitor is very good, but again there are lots of monitors out there not only the XB271HU. But there is the ASUS PG279Q which is once again very similar.

I guess does it come down to preference at the end of the day? Like which brand you like the most, as all of the monitors I have listed and you said are pretty much very similar in many ways.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

Hi,

I have just found another monitor very similar like but cheaper.

Which one would you go for out of these two and why?

First Monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VTPKCLS?tag=gnod-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Second Monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017DG09WM?tag=gnod-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

As an Asus PG279Q owner I can recommend it. Colors are great, stand is excellent and the G-Sync is fantastic. It's expensive but a really good monitor.

The new LG's are getting great reviews and are a great affordable option too.

Really can't go wrong between those two.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
As an Asus PG279Q owner I can recommend it. Colors are great, stand is excellent and the G-Sync is fantastic. It's expensive but a really good monitor.

The new LG's are getting great reviews and are a great affordable option too.

Really can't go wrong between those two.

Thanks for your replay.

I am looking at this brand new monitor the ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ HDR Gaming Monitor. Do you think this is better than the Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz.

You are having the same questions I did when going to a 1440p monitor.

Most review sites come to similar conclusions regarding available monitors.

For me, the IPS colors and blacks are vastly superior to a TN panel. What did it for me was going into a pc store and looking at the monitors in person if possible.

There's no bad decision on these higher end monitors, just trade offs. Freesync works with some Nvidia gpu's but not all, so you have to check out Nvidia's page on compatibility.

I did have a nice AoC 1080p monitor with freesync but it was no where near as smooth as the Asus.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
You are having the same questions I did when going to a 1440p monitor.

Most review sites come to similar conclusions regarding available monitors.

For me, the IPS colors and blacks are vastly superior to a TN panel. What did it for me was going into a pc store and looking at the monitors in person if possible.

There's no bad decision on these higher end monitors, just trade offs. Freesync works with some Nvidia gpu's but not all, so you have to check out Nvidia's page on compatibility.

I did have a nice AoC 1080p monitor with freesync but it was no where near as smooth as the Asus.
Ok thanks,

I might go and buy the Monitor linked down below, as it's the lastest one which came out in 2019. But with this monitor it has G-Sync correct, and 144hz?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VTPKCLS?tag=gnod-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1

That TUF looks nice as well for the price. It lacks USB connectivity and high end stand that the PG279Q has but still has G-Sync.

The review said the brightness is a bit high leading to a little panel glow. So yes, IPS panels can have some glow but put a TN panel next to it and observe. The little glow (seen on a black screen) still pales in comparison to the washed out look of the TN.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
That TUF looks nice as well for the price. It lacks USB connectivity and high end stand that the PG279Q has but still has G-Sync.

The review said the brightness is a bit high leading to a little panel glow. So yes, IPS panels can have some glow but put a TN panel next to it and observe. The little glow (seen on a black screen) still pales in comparison to the washed out look of the TN.

Nice.

If you had an option to get a new monitor out of the TUF and the Acer Predator, which one would you go for and why?

Links down below.

Acer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017DG09WM?tag=gnod-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

ASUS: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VTPKCLS?tag=gnod-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1

The Asus PG279Q and Acer Predator are usually the top choices for best IPS 1440p monitors. The Asus TUF lacks a few things to keep the cost down but still has a good IPS panel.

Solution

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

I was going to buy the Asus PG279Q on Amazon but out of stock. As from what I'm hearing from you, that you think the Asus PG279Q is better than the ASUS tuf gaming VG27AQ.

Is there any reason for this? As they both are 2k monitors, 144hz, IPS panel. And the ASUS Tuf offers lower response time than the PG279Q.

All the PG279Q offers more ports and USB?

mordgarrad

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012
You totally missed the LG Ultragear 38GL950G-B 38 incher.. Nano IPS, HDR 400, 144Hz, 3440x1600, g-sync, 1ms.. It pretty mucked kicks most everything else to the curb. Perfect for gaming AND productivity with those specs. At 1600 height makes decent for coding too which is awesome. And, it is finally Available (Amazon, Best Buy, etc..) after a year from debut in CES 2019. Just sticker shock galore is the massive downside ($1799). I'd love to know how LG's handling in quality care is, esp for such a king's ransom in pricepoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.