Best Gaming Mouse: Top Pointers for 2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
You really need to get someone who actually has big hands to review mice instead of these girls with tiny hands declaring such and such mouse is great for big hands. They're always wrong, just because a mouse is a few mm longer or wider than most doesn't make it good for those of us who have hands a few CMs larger than most.

There is NO MOUSE AT ALL, not even one, that's good for palm gripping if you actually have large hands. If your palm isn't touching the mouse or the tips of your fingers extend 1-2 cm past the front of the mouse when your palm is touching the mouse then it isn't a palm grip! 20 years ago there were a few that were ok (big hump backed beasts with a rounded top) but even those weren't great and none of them are being produced anymore. A proper mouse for large hands needs to be longer from front to back (not just a few mms either) and/or higher with more of a curve on top.

Last edited:
As usual in this latest update, no vertical mice, no trackballs. Nothing at all for people who can't comfortably use a conventional mouse...
Try the Lexip mouse, especially the Pu94; it's not vertical, but I know people who compared it favourably to a vertical mouse due to the way it works. The ceramic pads also reduce strain a LOT - I can't do without my (discontinued) Lexip 3Dm-pro because of that.

Reactions: Friesiansam

Friesiansam

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Try the Lexip mouse, especially the Pu94; it's not vertical, but I know people who compared it favourably to a vertical mouse due to the way it works. The ceramic pads also reduce strain a LOT - I can't do without my (discontinued) Lexip 3Dm-pro because of that.
Interesting but, I use a vertical mouse because of damage to my right wrist, caused by a cycling accident many years ago. It's the angle I am holding my hand at, rather resistance to movement, that causes pain when using a conventionally oriented mouse.

RichardtST

Respectable
May 17, 2022
You missed several mice that I would have included, but there are SOOOO many...

I have rather largish hands, I can palm a basketball. Where most mice fall down for me is they don't have a discernible 'lip' on the right side, so when picking up the mouse it requires grip strength. My old G9 drove me nuts. I now use a Cougar 700M, and am quite happy about the comfort. The Corsair Ironclaw might be worth investigating (for me) if Cougar ever stops making the 700 series. Their keyboard is nice too, but I have since opted for the Steelseries Apex Pro for the adjustable (magnetic) switches.

As the above can attest, I am not about the cheapest, but the best fit and comfort for me. I have bought many mousies that were touted as 'the best' , only to be disappointed by their feel. Hundreds of bikkies wasted. And keyboards...

Mice and keyboards are one area where a B & M store really makes sense. I think every town should have a store that carries every peripheral imaginable, with one display model and the price for ordering... I would pay a bit more to test out the fit and feel of mice and keyboards if I had a chance to physically test and compare all of them. Won't happen, but a nice dream

A small piece of sticky-back sandpaper on the right side does absolute wonders. 120-240 grit. Completely agree and am absolutely baffled by how mouse designers fail to design decent mice. Don't they use them?

My home mouse is a ROG Chakram Core. $68. Fits my large hands nicely. Clickers are replaceable. Subtle lighting. Forward/back buttons are just right too. Would definitely buy again if it ever breaks. Good luck!

adamXpeter

Commendable
Jun 19, 2022
Do all these wonderful Razer products still require an online account (with periodic logout) to run their mouse settings bloatware?

MoxNix

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2014
I just wish someone made a half decent gaming mouse that's big enough for those of us with hands that actually ARE large (not just slightly larger than average) to use with a palm grip!

The closest mice I found are the Corsair IronClaw and Corsair Sabre RGB Pro but I'm forced to use a claw grip with both of them because they're not long enough. If I try to palm either one my fingers hang about an inch over the front of of the mouse.

The first is very heavy and still not long enough to rest my palm on the back.

The second is actually a little smaller but feels more comfortable in my hand (mostly because it's quite a bit lighter) but it's a terrible mouse. It's nice at first but after only a few weeks it's generating false clicks and doubleclicks all the time plus the scroll wheel becomes completely unusable because it can't reliably detect which direction you're scrolling in or even that you are scrolling! Too bad because it'd be my favorite mouse if it clicked and scrolled reliably like the Sabre RGB Pro does. The original one I had did this so did the 2 RMA replacements I've gotten since. I'm going to ask for my money back now.

Last edited:

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I've been testing mice for 20 years and this list is a joke. It's so wrong that I can't even be bothered to point out all the flaws. To see a more sensible list the readers should go elsewhere, for example "rocket jump ninja" or hear what the opinions of pro gamers are.

Reactions: MoxNix and SydB

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
V3 isn't worth the extra cost over the V2 IMO.

The V2 (which I read is a clone of Logi G502) is funnily enough more comfortable to me than the G502x I have but still prefer the G502x for the extra buttons.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I got the V3 with my build and a few weeks later I have just discovered it’s #1 on this list from 2020.

That‘s cool… glad to see I made a good choice. It’s quite comfortable.

Bah. When is someone going to invent an "MMO" mouse that doesn't stick all the buttons on one side? My muscle memory isn't fast enough to reliably pick from a dozen buttons all lumped together.
Try one of the Lexip mice : you can map different actions to different stick directions - muscle memory works much better if you have to remember whether to push, pull, raise or lower instead of pushing down on this or that button.

Jun 16, 2024
this is less of a “best gaming mice” list and more “here’s a bunch of mice from logitech, corsair, razer, and redragon that happen to be gaming mice” list. seriously, where is pulsar, finalmouse, vaxee, ninjutso, etc. etc. for example i’d recommend the pulsar x2v2 over the logitech superlight any day, as the x2 includes motion sync where the superlight does not, and the x2 is cheaper. tom’s hardware turns more into tom’s shillware everyday.

Dementoss

Great
Oct 14, 2023
I, like another member who has responded before, am disappointed that people who need to use vertical mice or trackballs, are completely ignored once again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Redragon is in top 4... really?
Better than a G502 X? Now I want what the author is drinking
at least logitech support their hardware long after its made with drivers, can't say same thing with Redragon.
I, like another member who has responded before, am disappointed that people who need to use vertical mice or trackballs, are completely ignored once again.

Vertical mice are probably a niche in the gaming mice landscape.
If they splashed the entire thing in RGB it might make it - according to common "wisdom" it has to be covered in RGB to be a gaming mouse. That explains why Razer is half the list.
RGB is all anything needs to be labelled gaming.

Dementoss

Great
Oct 14, 2023
Vertical mice are probably a niche in the gaming mice landscape.
If they splashed the entire thing in RGB it might make it - according to common "wisdom" it has to be covered in RGB to be a gaming mouse. That explains why Razer is half the list.
RGB is all anything needs to be labelled gaming.
Before switching to a vertical mouse, as the arthritis in my wrist made a standard mouse painful to use, I had a Func MS-3. I loved the super quick response and, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like that in a vertical mouse.