[SOLVED] Best gpu for my r5 2600x

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Hello,
About 4-5 months ago i upgraded my pc and since gpu prices werent reasonable i had only one choice of gpu that was in stock which is a gtx 1650
But now that the prices are ok I just want some help picking a better gpu that would fit my cpu's capabilities.
My whole point of upgrading it is that I would like to play more recent titles at higher framerates such as Resident evil Village and games like apex legends.
I should point out that I do play some cpu intensive games as well and am looking for a gpu that would not be too fast and cause bottlenecking.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Ram: 2x8gb T-force Vulcan Z red 3200 Mhz
PSU: Be quiet! system power 9 600W
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650
MB: Asus prime b450m-a
Storage: Samsung 860 evo 1tb, western digital 1tb
Case: phanteks eclipse p300a mesh

Last edited:
Solution
5700xt is basically the same performance as the 6600xt. You don’t have to do other upgrades such as a new cpu, just things may perform better with it.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/q75il7/ryzen_5_2600_bottleneck/

The above Reddit thread may explain better. Basically what it boils down to is that your cpu will probably hold the new cards back a bit, and you may get some stuttering in games but a lot of times it will probably just depend on the game. So it may be one of those items that you go ahead and get the card and save for a cpu upgrade.
D

Deleted member 362816

Cheaper options now that video cards prices are falling

Used:
GTX 1080TI,RTX 2070/S,RTX 2080/S

New:
RTX 3060//3060TI

I wouldn't go much higher then any of these unless you plan to upgrade your CPU in the near future.

With a 600w psu, about the strongest you should consider is something like a 3070.

But, before you upgrade the graphics card, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a cpu upgrade, a 5600x would be a good upgrade.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Ive generaly seen people recommend gpu's like 1070 ti and a 1080 but wouldnt an amd card be better since ive got an amd cpu? I checked some performance testing vids about it and it seems to be the case atleast with the 6600xt
And also ive seen people recommend some rediculously good gpu's for a 6 core cpu, do modern games not need a good cpu and is bottlenecking not that big of a problem these days?

Last edited:
Ive generaly seen people recommend gpu's like 1070 ti and a 1080 but wouldnt an amd card be better since ive got an amd cpu? I checked some performance testing vids about it and it seems to be the case atleast with the 6600xt
And also ive seen people recommend some rediculously good gpu's for a 6 core cpu, do modern games not need a good cpu and is bottlenecking not that big of a problem these days?
unless high refresh rate gaming is your target, no a super fast cpu is not required..88% of gamers would love to be in your shoes.

Hello,
About 4-5 months ago i upgraded my pc and since gpu prices werent reasonable i had only one choice of gpu that was in stock which is a gtx 1650
But now that the prices are ok I just want some help picking a better gpu that would fit my cpu's capabilities.
My whole point of upgrading it is that I would like to play more recent titles at higher framerates such as Resident evil Village and games like apex legends.
I should point out that I do play some cpu intensive games as well and am looking for a gpu that would not be too fast and cause bottlenecking.
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
Ram: 2x8gb T-force Vulcan Z red 3200 Mhz
PSU: Be quiet! system power 9 600W
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1650
MB: Asus prime b450m-a
Storage: Samsung 860 evo 1tb, western digital 1tb
Case: phanteks eclipse p300a mesh

Need display please. Target resolution and refresh rate are critical. Also please list some of your favorite games. A game like cyberpunk 2077 can bring your system to its knees at 1080p even with a top tier card.

If I were to go for a balanced system up to 1440p/60fps most games, I would mix a 5600X CPU $200 with a reasonable 6700XT or 3060/3060Ti. And you can't really go any higher as your PSU won't allow it.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
I have a 1080p 165hz display
Games that i mainly play: Valorant, Apex, Battlefield V, Escape from tarkov
And like i said i would like to be able to play newer titles at decent framerates too

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
I run a ryzen 3600 and a 6700xt, so far that’s doing well. Not sure what performance would be like with a 2600 though, but you can now purchase a 5600 relatively cheap and a lot of b350 boards even can be updated to use one.

Well I thought maybe overclocking my cpu might help with some of the problems but not too sure

Overclocking should help a little bit I can tell you when I got the 3600, I had a ryzen 1700 overclocked. It showed in cinebench as being about the same or a little better than my friend’s 2700x with my overclock, and going to the 3600 with two less cores I noticed a good performance bump from that.

Well I guess the first question is what budget are you working with? If around 300, I’d look at the rx 6600. If you are looking at used stuff, for a little more you can look at at something like a 2080 super or rx 6700xt. Of course warranty on those won’t be as good as new so depends on your budget and comfort level.

However a card like the 6600 puts you in the realm of the rtx 3060 for less money without breaking the bank then you can go from there.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Well I guess the first question is what budget are you working with? If around 300, I’d look at the rx 6600. If you are looking at used stuff, for a little more you can look at at something like a 2080 super or rx 6700xt. Of course warranty on those won’t be as good as new so depends on your budget and comfort level.

However a card like the 6600 puts you in the realm of the rtx 3060 for less money without breaking the bank then you can go from there.
I am now looking into buying a gpu that wont need me to go broke in a sense that i wont need other upgrades, I am mostly looking at used since atleast in my area in the EU, buying new is not a good option. I will most likely be going with a 6600 xt but is a 5700xt worth it? I saw 1 being sold used for around 330 euros, seems like a good deal especially for the 3 fan gigabyte model but I am not sure.

5700xt is basically the same performance as the 6600xt. You don’t have to do other upgrades such as a new cpu, just things may perform better with it.

The above Reddit thread may explain better. Basically what it boils down to is that your cpu will probably hold the new cards back a bit, and you may get some stuttering in games but a lot of times it will probably just depend on the game. So it may be one of those items that you go ahead and get the card and save for a cpu upgrade.

Solution

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020

Thanks for the help, since the 5700xt is a much better price than any 6600 xt i can find I will go with it and will probably upgrade my cpu in the future. Thanks again :)