Question Best GPU upgrade with 300w PSU?

Jul 11, 2024
Hi everybody,

I was thinking about upgrading my Nvidia Geforce 1050ti, but i am stuck with a 300w PSU and i would like to know what's the best i can get without changing the power supply. i heard the Geforce 1650 would be the answer but again, i am not sure about it being compatible with my 300w PSU.

my GPU is working pretty well for emulation and even newer games, but i wanted to know if it's possibile to have a little better performance.

here's my components:

HP Omen Obelisk 875-0xx
Motherboard : HP 84FD
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
RAM: 32Gb ( 2 x 16 DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM)
GPU: HP GeForce 1050ti

I apologize for my bad english, and thank you in advance for your help.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX 3050 6GB would work. A lot of money for not a lot of GPU, but it is the cheapest/fastest/lowest power GPU out there right now.

Competition would be the Intel Arc A380 that doesn't require a PCIe 8-pin (75W rated card, just the early ones still require the 8-pin for some reason)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 11, 2024
RTX 3050 6GB would work. A lot of money for not a lot of GPU, but it is the cheapest/fastest/lowest power GPU out there right now.

Competition would be the Intel Arc A380 that doesn't require a PCIe 8-pin (75W rated card, just the early ones still require the 8-pin for some reason)
hi, thank you for answering.

I checked on the Nvidia website and it seems that a 300w PSU should indeed be enough for a rtx 3050 6GB. So I suppose the low end PSU wouldn't be a problem if i got one of those? my main concern, being inexperienced (the only thing i ever done myself is buying and adding 16 gb of RAM), is that I end up buying a gpu that requires too much power. My second concern is that it doesn t fit in the obelisk case. but i guess that if nvidia's website itself confirm 300w is enough, that wouldn't be a problem, right?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hi everybody,

I was thinking about upgrading my Nvidia Geforce 1050ti, but i am stuck with a 300w PSU and i would like to know what's the best i can get without changing the power supply. i heard the Geforce 1650 would be the answer but again, i am not sure about it being compatible with my 300w PSU.

my GPU is working pretty well for emulation and even newer games, but i wanted to know if it's possibile to have a little better performance.

here's my components:

HP Omen Obelisk 875-0xx
Motherboard : HP 84FD
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700
RAM: 32Gb ( 2 x 16 DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM UDIMM)
GPU: HP GeForce 1050ti

I apologize for my bad english, and thank you in advance for your help.
The last thing to do skimp on is the power supply. Supply is the heart of the PC. Don't go for the minimum. Give yourself some headroom.

Jul 11, 2024
The last thing to do skimp on is the power supply. Supply is the heart of the PC. Don't go for the minimum. Give yourself some headroom.
I understand, but as i said, my PSU is not great. thats why i was thinking about a 1650 since I' ve read that it takes the same amount of power as the 1050TI that I already have; is this correct?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I understand, but as i said, my PSU is not great. thats why i was thinking about a 1650 since I' ve read that it takes the same amount of power as the 1050TI that I already have; is this correct?
I just look at the numbers and possibilities. Haven't had anything less than a 500w decent quality for many years. Good supply is more of a safety valve from a possible catastrophic failure.

Jul 11, 2024
I just look at the numbers and possibilities. Haven't had anything less than a 500w decent quality for many years. Good supply is more of a safety valve from a possible catastrophic failure.
so you think i should be more concerned with a PSU upgrade before going with a GPU upgrade?

Jul 11, 2024
Read reviews. 300w is the power consumption of the GPU? What about the rest of the PC?
from what i ve understood, my current gpu uses around 75w, while a rtx 3050 uses around 130 w. i don't know if that's too much for a 300w PSU with my current build, that's why a posted the components in the original post. still, if a 1650 uses 75 w, like my current 1050TI gpu does, it should work for sure, right? is the same power consumption i have now and it never gave me any problem.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
from what i ve understood, my current gpu uses around 75w, while a rtx 3050 uses around 130 w. i don't know if that's too much for a 300w PSU with my current build, that's why a posted the components in the original post. still, if a 1650 uses 75 w, like my current 1050TI gpu does, it should work for sure, right? is the same power consumption i have now and it never gave me any problem.
Seems to be enough zots to be effective. I would take a couple of things into consideration. Do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Add ons? Your call!

Jul 11, 2024
Seems to be enough zots to be effective. I would take a couple of things into consideration. Do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Add ons? Your call!
Understood. And What about the rtx 3050? Are 130w a lot? Is it likely that the rest of the components will have not enough power?

This might make sense in the real world, but in the world of HP pre-builds, it's likely has a proprietary mobo and PSU. Swapping the PSU out, may not be the best advice here. Most PSU's won't have the right connector for the proprietary mobo.

got it. thanks for your help.
Your CPU is still decent enough. Matching it with a 3050 6gb would give a nice bump.

Average power draw during gaming is about 70w or so. Max wattage being about 120w. With the 75w GPU and other components you will be touching in and around the 250-300w mark. There isn't much headroom there. However, if you run everything at stock (no overclocking CPU or GPU) it might be okay.

You could also look at an RX6400. Now, I have never recommended this GPU, as I think it's pants for the price.
But, it does have low power draw when loaded at about 50w. It's in the range of a GTX1650 or Arc A380 in terms of performance.

Jul 11, 2024
Your CPU is still decent enough. Matching it with a 3050 6gb would give a nice bump.

Average power draw during gaming is about 70w or so. Max wattage being about 120w. With the 75w GPU and other components you will be touching in and around the 250-300w mark. There isn't much headroom there. However, if you run everything at stock (no overclocking CPU or GPU) it might be okay.

You could also look at an RX6400. Now, I have never recommended this GPU, as I think it's pants for the price.
But, it does have low power draw when loaded at about 50w. It's in the range of a GTX1650 or Arc A380 in terms of performance.
what do you think about a GTX1650? it has the same power consumption as my current gpu , and it doesn't cost much more than the rx6400 as far as i can tell ( 140 euros for the amd one, around 170 euros for the nvidia one), and i would prefer nvidia over amd to be honest

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
3050 6GB is a 70W card, you were likely looking at the 3050 8GB numbers which are higher are require external power.

Based on the HP model information, it should be an ATX capable motherboard and it looks like the chassis takes a standard ATX supply (but it has to be a truly standard one, so the really big PSUs that have extra length would probably not work.

So you could swap the PSU and basically install any size GPU you want. Within reason, it is still a relatively short and narrow chassis.

3050 6GB is a 70W card, you were likely looking at the 3050 8GB numbers which are higher are require external power.

Based on the HP model information, it should be an ATX capable motherboard and it looks like the chassis takes a standard ATX supply (but it has to be a truly standard one, so the really big PSUs that have extra length would probably not work.

So you could swap the PSU and basically install any size GPU you want. Within reason, it is still a relatively short and narrow chassis.
Good point. I couldn't find much info on the mobo. If it's not proprietary, then that's a bonus.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I almost always do image searches for OEM stuff, documentation is generally terrible and they make small changes all the time. And sometimes it is regional, so best to get pictures of the actual PC in question.

But all of the 875 Omens seems to be a smallish MicroATX tower.

take power usage from gpu with a grain of salt in it, it may draw less or higher, depending on load/power spikes

but you can power limit any GPU
im using rx 6800, power limited to just 100watts and it can play almost anything at 1440p ultra at 60fps

the thing about strong GPUs is that they are very efficient at low clock, meanwhile in favor of better fps they overclock too high (boost) which rises power quite abit for only few fps gain

so getting 130watt gpu isnt that bad idea, you can use msi afterburner, limit power/frequency/voltage so it will run at lower power if needed

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks everyone. I don t think I will replace the PSU because I think I am not experienced enough to do it the right way and choose the right PSU. I think maybe i will buy a gtx1650 ( or a rx6400 like it was suggested to me in the post with the youtube video) to have a little boost in performance without reaching the limit of power consuption like i would with a rtx3050. Do you think it s the smartest move? You have to take in consideration that i am a noob and a lot could go wrong if i had to keep the power consumption in check manually to keep my pc from frying lol

Do you think it s the smartest move? You have to take in consideration that i am a noob and a lot could go wrong if i had to keep the power consumption in check manually to keep my pc from frying lol
I respect that only you know your limits and baby steps are awesome.

No one can say nothing can go wrong that's not controllable from our side but just go slow watch what your doing while your installing your choice of the GPU you feel matches you and it should go good.