Best Graphics Cards For The Money: December '09

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Lack of research alert. You listed a $200 card for $150. I mean seriously, did you need to create all those new categories so you can squeze in a nVidia. [/citation]

Ah Falchard, always looking to push the conspiracy ajenda. Try reading page 1:

"Prices and availability change on a daily basis. We can’t base our decisions on always-changing pricing information, but we can list some good cards that you probably won’t regret buying at the price ranges we suggest."

If prices have changed, use the heirarchy chart at the end. I don't have to hold your hand do I? :)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]juliom[/nom]The bias from Tom's favouring Nvidia is more clear with each passing day... How I miss Tom's from the old days...[/citation]

I've been writing this article since it started, Juliom. I didn't see you complaining that AMD was being favored unfairly when I gave the 4850 got top honors at $100 for months on end.

Now that the prices have changed I suppose you'd consider it more 'fair' if I recommended AMD cards at every price point even though other cards offer better value? How does that work?

Everytime price/performance shifts from one vendor to the other I get fanboys crying foul.

These aren't sports teams, they're graphics card vendors. If you want a blind biased report that always recommends one vendor over the other, you probably won't like my stuff. Find a writer who only gives props to your favorite team.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Why isnt a $99 4770 competitive? Its faster than a 9800GT...[/citation]

Because Tom's sponsors say otherwise.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]wow.... these articles keep getting worse as time goes on. Are the writers over at Toms trying to get extra Fermi samples under the tree this year. Why even bother having the GTS 250 1gb on the list when it just barley edges out a ATI 4850 in most benchmarks? The 4870 512 dominates the GTS 250 @ 5$ more. Isn't that the point of these articles? Bang for the Buck?[/citation]

1- The 4850 does *not* dominate the GTS 250. Prove otherwise.

2- Where can you find the the 4850 $5 more than a GTS 250? I can barely even find the 4850 for sale anymore and it looks pretty obvious they're being end-of-lined. The GTS 250 I can find for $110 easy.

Are you suggesting people hunt to pay more for 4850s when they easily can buy a GTS 250 that performs just as well for less cash? How does that make sense?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Why isnt a $99 4770 competitive? Its faster than a 9800GT...[/citation]

$99 isn't bad, but when i checked for the article the cheapest I could find them is $110, the same price as a GTS 250 which is notably faster. Prices change very quickly, unfortunately, so use the article as a guideline but keep your eyes open for deals.

[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Because Tom's sponsors say otherwise.[/citation]

Interesting Scrum. How do our sponsors make a GTS 250 perform a hell of a lot better than a 4770, exactly? :D

streak

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Very interesting article this month. With ATI end of lifing some of the 4000 series parts before the 5000 series parts were in full, stable production, it really created a shakeup in the recommended cards.

Fan boys need to just get over it if your favorite card is not listed. This article has never been about "best graphics cards"...it has always been about "best graphics cards for the money." When you throw "money" into the equation, you have to account for supply/demand, and right now those are two forces working against ATI.

I'm sure once ATI fixes their 5000 series production issues, the chart will once again have a major shakeup. Who knows what will happen once NVidia rolls out Fermi...but I suspect it will still be ATI taking the majority of the "best graphics cards for the money" price points.

Bilfred

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]On point #1 Cleeve, he said the 4870, not the 4850.[/citation]

Jebus, that makes even less sense. The cheapest I can find a 4870 is $175.

Lavacon, where can you find a 4870 for $115?

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]1- The 4850 does *not* dominate the GTS 250. Prove otherwise.2- Where can you find the the 4850 $5 more than a GTS 250? I can barely even find the 4850 for sale anymore and it looks pretty obvious they're being end-of-lined. The GTS 250 I can find for $110 easy.Are you suggesting people hunt to pay more for 4850s when they easily can buy a GTS 250 that performs just as well for less cash? How does that make sense?[/citation]

Please read before you reply next time. I said that the 4870 dominates the 250 1gb.....

Semi-Lobster

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You have the '8400 G' listed, I think you mean 8400 GS? And beside it I assume you mean '8300 GS'?

Could you add the Radeon Xpress 1270? Nowadays a lot of AMD's CULVs use the Xpress 1270 IGP. Also I know I ask this every month but could you add the Radeon HD 4730? A buddy of mine out in British Columbia said ncix.com sold a bunch of Radeon HD 4730s but quickly stopped carrying it.

Any chance of adding the GeForce GTS 240 (not to be confused with the GT 240)? I know its a rebadged 9800 GT but there are other rebadged GPUs on the list (GTX 250 for example). Since we're on the topic of oems, the GeForce 9400 GS and the GeForce 9300 GE could also be added to the list and I guess you could add the entire G 100 series (GeForce GTS 150, GT 130, GT 120 and G 100) to the hierarchy chart.

Also LOLOLOLOLOLOL G 310, you should also add the GeForce G 205 as well, it was 'released' the same time as the G 310.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bilfred[/nom]Jebus, that makes even less sense. The cheapest I can find a 4870 is $175.Lavacon, where can you find a 4870 for $115?[/citation]

I swear.. no one is reading today. I put the 4870 512 ($125)over the GTS 250 1gb($120) $5......

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]Please read before you reply next time. I said that the 4870 dominates the 250 1gb.....[/citation]

The 4870?

Please make sense next time then. Unless you can show us where you can buy a $115 Radeon 4870. I'm calling BS on that one. :D

dverjuan

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Seriously cleeve? Seriously? Men i just click check prices on the gts 250 1gb and shows 145 dol card from best buy, same price as newegg instead of your magic 120.I dont know what happened, but this month sucks.....

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Cleave.. my man.... :) you have the 250 1gb @ $120 in the article.... I don't know where you guys keep thinking I am talking about the $110 GTS 512..... maybe I will start using BOLD :)

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks Cleeve for another great comparo. My sympathy goes out to you for having to sort all of the GPU options into a list, then having to endure the inevitable disagreement from fan-boys and people defending their own purchases. I don't see any brand bias here, just well-educated opinions based on testing and market research. Keep up the good work!

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]Cleave.. my man.... :) you have the 250 1gb @ $120 in the article.... I don't know where you guys keep thinking I am talking about the $110 GTS 512..... maybe I will start using BOLD :)[/citation]

My mistake. It would help if you could provide a link...
Where did you find that $125 4870? please share it with the rest of the class, I'm sure a lot of people would like to pick it up, sounds like an awesome deal.

Like I said, prices rise and fall, I never promised to provide an up-to-the-minute realtime pricing article. That's unrealistic. It's a guideline.

If you can find a $125 4870, the hierarchy chart combined with common sense should tell you to buy it. I don't have to hold your hand do I Lava? It sounds like you know what graphics cards are worth... :)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Lavacon[/nom]I swear.. no one is reading today. I put the 4870 512 ($125)over the GTS 250 1gb($120) $5......[/citation]

Still waiting for that $125 Radeon HD 4870 link, Lavacon.

You didn't make that part up, right? Your complaint kind of hinges on it. :D

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Thanks Cleeve for another great comparo. I don't see any brand bias here, just well-educated opinions based on testing and market research. Keep up the good work![/citation]

Thanks to the supporters and reasonable folk out there, I appreciate the kind words.

Semi-Lobster

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Jeez, cleeve wasn't kidding when he said that $100 4850s were all gone because there are no 4850s left on newegg! There's one 1 4830, 3 4870s and half of the 4890s are sold out!

Status
Not open for further replies.