Best Graphics Cards For The Money: December 2010

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that AMD has been releasing too many video cards too close together. They have quite a stable of products right now. And now the confusing naming scheme change, you have last gen products that are faster than current generation; I wonder if they really know what they're doing.
I'm a big AMD fan but I wonder about the wisdom of throwing so many cards out there.

bugo30

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Wouldn't it be interesting if the green team surprised the red team with a well-kept secret ahead of AMD's 6990 debut? That'd really be something.

Know something we don't do you?

gwg666

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
love the nvidia fanboys...it takes them to lower the price to make the card faster....LOL...this is what it sounds like your saying...that does not lower the heat...nor the watts...nor nvidias greed...is nvidia owned buy Intel?

toofly

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I wouldn't call myself a Fanboy, but until ATI can match Nvidia's CUDA performance in professional rendering situations, I simply can't buy an ATI card without submitting myself to a noticeable performance loss. =(

Sold my GTX 275 Sli
Now own GTX 460 Sli =)
Disable sli for Adobe.

And when are professional software suites going to start using SLI???

G

I just bought a Sapphire HD6870 from SuperBiiz and after rebate the final price is going to be $209.99 ($234.99-$5.00 for using code RUDOLPH5-$20 Sapphire rebate), about the same as most reference spec HD6850 cards. The Sapphire has been shown to be a super overclocker in tests, beating all others in core overclocking and losing only to one other in memory overclocking but only by 5mhz so the core overclock advantage more than compensates for that making the reference Sapphire board the best 6870 so far even compared to factory overclocked models because it can be pushed harder.

ATI cards still have problems with drivers, I sell both and one thing I've noticed the amount of problems with the AMD/ATI cards especially the high-end ones is very high, compared to practically none of nVidia.

gwg666

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]toofly[/nom]I wouldn't call myself a Fanboy, but until ATI can match Nvidia's CUDA performance in professional rendering situations, I simply can't buy an ATI card without submitting myself to a noticeable performance loss. =(Sold my GTX 275 SliNow own GTX 460 Sli =)Disable sli for Adobe.And when are professional software suites going to start using SLI???[/citation]
i take it ,you have eyes like superman n money like lex luther...35 fps to 50fps is what the average person can concieve...sli n cf is a gimmick to snatch your money...if you need to play games with no troubles buy a xbox,etc...almost,saying,with no stats,50% of us own a gaming console...a 100.00 to 150.00,ATI or nutvidia card should be all you need to game or to do your Adobe.all these poor newbies reading this crap n running out to spend Moms or Dads money.before we know it 1000 to 2000.00or even 3 they will soon stop making games for the PC...investing that money into a console game(xbox ,ps2 or 3,...etc,you will have that game 4ever,and a whole lot of them at that.i wasted 1200.00 on a pentium4,then got caught up on the pentium D bandwagon for 2 grand which to my delight was 15 seconds faster in SOME apps...now the Core 2 duo, another 10 to 15 seconds faster in SOME apps...short story long newbies,buy the AMD, IN THE LAST TEN YEARS, IF THEY CHANGED,they thought of you n your hard earned money

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]gwg666[/nom]i take it ,you have eyes like superman n money like lex luther...35 fps to 50fps is what the average person can concieve...sli n cf is a gimmick to snatch your money...[/citation]

You make me lose faith in humanity... How you could get gaming from his comment when he clearly mentions professional rendering is beyond me. Also your neglecting to realize that factors of performance drops at high resolutions that many of us play at mixed with the detail levels a CF or SLI config is needed at-least when dealing with the mid-level cards
which often is lesser or similar priced to a stronger single card and
usually outperforms the that single card.

if you need to play games with no troubles buy a xbox,etc...almost,saying,with no stats,50% of us own a gaming console...

Why would I settle for a console when I can afford and enjoy the best?
I also have no idea of what troubles you speak of perhaps you have no
common sense when it comes to operating and maintaing a PC but I sure do not. Also "no troubles" with consoles? What about the RROD which
plagued several generations of 360's at a over 50% rate.

a 100.00 to 150.00,ATI or nutvidia card should be all you need to game or to do your Adobe.
*Face palm*

all these poor newbies reading this crap n running out to spend Moms or Dads money.before we know it 1000 to 2000.00or even 3

And you should have any impute on how much people spend of their own money why? While I personally do not need this article it does indeed provide a great service to those who do. Also to assume that only kids would need it is just foolish.

hey will soon stop making games for the PC...

Yeah I've been hearing that for decades now.

"..investing that money into a console game(xbox ,ps2 or 3,...etc,you will have that game 4ever,and a whole lot of them at that."

And I won't have my PC games forever why? Also the PC has more games than any console as you would have to count decades worth of games.
I also fail to see any quality console games other than action and racing games. FPS, all forms of strategy games, RPGs, MMOG's , are all much better on the PC. Plus we have something you console gamers can only dream of and that is mods.

i wasted 1200.00 on a pentium4,then got caught up on the pentium D bandwagon for 2 grand which to my delight was 15 seconds faster in SOME apps...now the Core 2 duo, another 10 to 15 seconds faster in SOME apps..

Amazing you fail to mention which apps. A 10-15 second shave off time in-fact could be amazing in some cases. You have to consider the actual % difference rather than the time itself. Also sorry about the [Censored]
you see it all started when... [Classified] and that's
how Otellini and I [Classified] ah good times. As for the C2D series no
one in their right minds would complain about those beauties.

short story long newbies,buy the AMD, IN THE LAST TEN YEARS, IF THEY CHANGED,they thought of you n your hard earned money

So your telling people to buy consoles and at the same time buy AMD products even though you said to abandon PC's Then you form a sentence that makes no sense. Right... I would call you a troll but in your case that would be a compliment. Your something much lower than a troll and that is a console fanboy.

cyber_tron

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
hey... i absolutely agree to this based on the pricing...
but i think u are forgetting that for an sli or a cfx config, we can't decide based on the graphics card prices only.
once we go for multi GPU config, automatically the motherboard and the power supply price also increases.
and this usually is more than the 10=20$ u gain over an individual card...

cyber_tron

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]cyber_tron[/nom]hey... i absolutely agree to this based on the pricing...but i think u are forgetting that for an sli or a cfx config, we can't decide based on the graphics card prices only.once we go for multi GPU config, automatically the motherboard and the power supply price also increases.and this usually is more than the 10-20$ u gain over an individual card...[/citation]

gwg666

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]cyber_tron[/nom]hey... i absolutely agree to this based on the pricing...but i think u are forgetting that for an sli or a cfx config, we can't decide based on the graphics card prices only.once we go for multi GPU config, automatically the motherboard and the power supply price also increases.and this usually is more than the 10=20$ u gain over an individual card...[/citation]
thanks lex luther 4 the im stuck in this high price game n i can foolishly waste my money...bet you got a big truck n little pecker

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Damn bad times for 4870x2 owner

How would I have known that this card would still stand the test of time, 2 years later. No "upgrade" for me. Damn good deal for 400euros in '08.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
"The Radeon HD 5670 is the most powerful card you can buy that doesn't require an auxiliary PCIe power cable."

WRONG. It is the Radeon HD 5750 PowerColor Go! Green.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131346&Tpk=5750%20green
The 5750s come with multiple options: best low profile card, best no power cable. Maybe even best passive cooled card.

The 57xx are such great products that AMD has not bothered to update them to 67xx: why , when there is no product by NVIDIA with similar features at $100-150

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Was thinking... for the "Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart" it might be kind of cool and useful to have a 4th column, that sums up what DX version and typical resolution you can get out of that category. Kind of like what you do in the description...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Bah, so every card is great, huh? Never mind the insane power consumption of the Fermis...[/citation]

Thats not a flaw its a feature. No longer does my family gather around the fire place now we all just huddle around one the the PC's with Nvidia's Fermi.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Thats not a flaw its a feature. No longer does my family gather around the fire place now we all just huddle around one the the PC's with Nvidia's Fermi.[/citation]

When I'm cold I actually turn the back of my pc case towards me and if I'm not playing a game I just fire up Furmark and Prime95! Thuban + 6850 = no more freezing hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.