Question Best home office setup for development & casual gaming

May 4, 2024
Hi all

Hope this is the right place for this kind of discussion.
I've recently started as a freelancer working fully remotely, but I am working at two locations. I am looking for a new setup, which can be used both for professional and personal use (and ideally an easy switch between the two laptops - KVM or some simple hacked alternative).

The main purchases I have to make initially are the work laptop and a docking station (maybe two), that needs to be able to power the laptop. I noticed that power delivery can be quite the limiting factor for many laptops. Especially the ones in the "gaming" category - so I can probably rule those out.
It might be worth mentioning that I am fairly sensitive to fan noise - for gaming I use a headset, so it isn't a big deal, but for regular office work and coding, I want my laptop to be as silent as possible.

1. What is your budget?
~ $4000 for docking station & laptop

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
not super important, but between 14 and 16 inches. Doesn't need to be super light either, but obviously don't want to carry around a brick all the time either.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
looking at a OLED UHD+ (3840 x 2400), but it honestly isn't that big a deal if it is only FHD+ or something. I will always be using at least one separate monitor, so as long as it can handle one or two external 4k monitors, it is fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I need to switch between two locations frequently, so it is important that it is portable in the sense that "I only want to switch one cable" and be good to go.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not super critical, but would be nice to be able to watch netflix or something for 4-5 hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I want to be able to do some casual gaming. Resolution and framerate does not need to be top notch, as I am mostly playing roguelikes, strategy games and similar.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Only simple office work, development (usually limited by RAM capacity/speed & disk size/speed) and light gaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
ideally 2TB. needs to be relatively fast.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Just an example of something I've looked at - the xps 16 with the RTX 4070, 64GB RAM & 2TB disk
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/xps-16-9640-laptop

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years ideally

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
none

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no preference.

13. What country do you live in?
Denmark - EU

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Ideally I'd be looking at some thunderbolt KVM switch. But it seems very difficult to find and very, very expensive, so probably fine just swapping a single cable for now (maybe with some extension cables to make life easier?).

If I come up with something else, I'll add it later.
Looking forward to hearing what setups people have and recommendations of what to do and not do :)

/Proddy

May 4, 2024
@baboma Thanks for the comments. It is much appreciated!

>Most laptops no longer have a dedicated dock, given the versatility of USB-C. Insisting on a dedicated dock will greatly limit laptop selection to a handful of business models, eg ThinkPads. Suggest instead a USB-C dongle, which is still "one cable connection."

On this point, I might not have been clear initially. But from my understanding of a USB-C hub/dongle won't really be able to provide power delivery to most high-end laptops (even non-gaming ones), and thus would no longer a "one cable switch" solution(?) What I meant by docking station was something like the Dell wd19 180W, which can do 130W power delivery.

>Why the dGPU? Casual gaming doesn't need it, or office/dev work. dGPU adds weight, power use, and complexity (ie Adv Optimus to switch between iGPU/dGPU).

For this particular model, as you mentioned with the soldered LP RAM, 64GB RAM means it has to have the dGPU, although I don't "need it" per se. I know I get very little value for money here, which is also why I am asking for alternatives :)

>Assuming your computing use is "transportable," a miniPC (NUC form factor) may be more suited. It allows greater RAM allotment, more CPU power & I/O, and it's transportable to diff locations.

Although I like the idea of a miniPC, in that case I'd probably still be looking for one at each location + a very lighweight alternative for when I am on the go.

TRENDING THREADS