[SOLVED] Best low power consumption graphic card

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hi,

I've talked about this before and I want to change my plan due of my 450 watt power supply still "new" (i don't want to replace it yet, it's waste)

I am looking for graphic cards which is smooth runs gta v at 1366 x 768 at much better settings than my vega 8 IGP and the price is bellow 200 bucks.

I saw there's rx 570 but it is older than my IGP, I am not sure rx 570 will suits my ryzen 3 3200 due it is GDDR5... Any suggest?

Solution
As long you enable Power Chill @ 60 FPS. You wont have to worry about going wattage usage on gpu. Or Select Power Saver once you have RX 580..

ApVrgi5.png

It be Somewhere 40-55Watts Usage.

so when your playing game at Power Saving, your entire PC will probably around 150watts or less.

1 kwh = 1000wh
Entire PC 150Watts x 5 hours of Gaming = 750wh

When your gaming it will on that wattage. But if Your watching stream or just browsing internet. The entire system will use less power.
The RX570 is a value winner when it's priced right (what country are you shopping in) . It's got its on VRAM (GDDR5) so that's not something you need to worry about.

"Best low power" is ambiguous.
  • Best performing? Better than what?
  • Lowest power? what's considered "low"
  • Any combination of the above variables.

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
The RX570 is a value winner when it's priced right (what country are you shopping in) . It's got its on VRAM (GDDR5) so that's not something you need to worry about.

"Best low power" is ambiguous.
  • Best performing? Better than what?
  • Lowest power? what's considered "low"
  • Any combination of the above variables.
Sorry, I mean "best graphic card with no power slot which is low TDP". does GDDR5 beat HBM-2 chipset? Vega 8 runs gta v well but sometimes it's stutter on woods (or weed factory) area.

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
The best performing GPU RIGHT now that doesn't require more than the 75W that the PCIe slot supplies is the GTX1650. Watch out for some of the "OC" versions that have 6-pin aux power.
pardon me, my psu is 400 watt. Here's my full spec:
ryzen 3 3200g
1 x DDR4 8 GB
asrock ab350m-hdv
2 x HDD sata 7200 rpm

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Sorry for being out of first topic, but both GTX 1650 and RX 480 are not using d-sub anymore... I mean, I already start with change my monitor to LG 22MK600 with freesync, so now dealing with RX 480 + new PSU or GTX 1650 or wait until august for new chipset.
I heard from some ppl freesync monitor can also utilize G-sync

First, the ram used in a graphics card, like GDDR5 has no relevance or compatibility issue.

It was a mistake to buy a cheap psu.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Since you have one, and are determined to use it,
You are probably correct to limit your graphics card to what will run on slot power which maxes out at 75w.
A GTX1650 is about as good as you can do.
Look at the outputs on the graphics card.
HDMI,DP, dvi,vga..
One of those outputs needs to match an input on your monitor.
HDMI and DP are preferred.

Reactions: GianYagami

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
"Cheap PSU".

All Dell,HP Computer contain Cheap PSU that made in china. They still survive more than any of my owned "gaming brand" PSU. Trust me My Parents had Dell Dimension back in 2004 that I used to game on it everyday for 8+hrs a day since middle schoo CS, Condition Zero, Half Life, RO, DarkEden... Only replaced the desktop when I started to build my own PC back in 2012.

I own different PSU from corsair, evga, thermaltake, powerspec,solidgear,apevia. they either last months or couple years and some dont even work "DOA".

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Speaking of stock PSU, my enlight it's actually replacement from stock PSU which is already broken (overheat cause of fan jammed), i am using enlight about 1+ year.

I've looking GTX1650, RX 480 and RX 580 and RX 580 is win about price to value.
I want good performance but I am also want low power cost, lol. Now I am using 1080p monitor which makes me more confusing to choosing the best for me.

It's okay if I must save it for new PSU but I also want low power cost, what do u think guys? Did I must ignore low TDP? bacause I am afraid if I will regret it if I take GTX 1650

EDIT: @gamenadez suggest preferred me to RX 580, I will update this thread if I got any progress

How much does a KWhr of electricity cost where you are?

My RX480 @ 1300MHz uses about 150W under full load. If I run that for 12 hours per day, that's 1.8KWhr. Electricity costs roughly 15 cents (USA) per KWhr. So it costs me 27 cents per 12 hour day to run my GPU full tilt.

Put another way, 3 standard 60W incandescent light bulbs use more power than an RX580.

Last edited:

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
How much does a KWhr of electricity cost where you are?

My RX480 @ 1300MHz uses about 150W under full load. If I run that for 12 hours per day, that's 1.8KWhr. Electricity costs roughly 15 cents (USA) per KWhr. So it costs me 27 cents per 12 hour day to run my GPU full tilt.

Put another way, 3 standard 60W incandescent light bulbs use more power than an RX580.
I am using prepaid electricity, I bought token per week, it is 133,2 KWh and cost 200,000 IDR or about 14 USD
(I think 14 USD per week is cheap enough for office worker in USA), I have no idea how to calculate my pc power in 24 hours

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
As long you enable Power Chill @ 60 FPS. You wont have to worry about going wattage usage on gpu. Or Select Power Saver once you have RX 580..

ApVrgi5.png

It be Somewhere 40-55Watts Usage.

so when your playing game at Power Saving, your entire PC will probably around 150watts or less.

1 kwh = 1000wh
Entire PC 150Watts x 5 hours of Gaming = 750wh

When your gaming it will on that wattage. But if Your watching stream or just browsing internet. The entire system will use less power.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS