[SOLVED] Best monitor for coding under 300 usd

May 12, 2021
So, I'm in CS industry and recently bought the LG MN430m-b for about 110usd(10k in Bangladesh). I was using a DELL S2218h from 2019 and it's working fine but I really needed a second monitor.

Anyone from the tech or software industry would understand the importance of multiple monitors. But I recently noticed prolonged exposure to different monitors(LG and DELL) is actually hurting my eyes. So I was thinking about selling both and buying a good colored monitor which wont hurt my eyes. I have set a budget which is 300 USD and would appreciate some advice.

Some of the requirements I think would be good for me:
  1. VESA mount
  2. 24inch atleast
  3. good color and eye soothing
Although this are some things I think would be good for me, I'm open to any and all suggestions you guys have to offer.
N.B: New to thread so apologize for making any mistake

kanewolf

Titan
So, I'm in CS industry and recently bought the LG MN430m-b for about 110usd(10k in Bangladesh). I was using a DELL S2218h from 2019 and it's working fine but I really needed a second monitor.

Anyone from the tech or software industry would understand the importance of multiple monitors. But I recently noticed prolonged exposure to different monitors(LG and DELL) is actually hurting my eyes. So I was thinking about selling both and buying a good colored monitor which wont hurt my eyes. I have set a budget which is 300 USD and would appreciate some advice.

Some of the requirements I think would be good for me:
  1. VESA mount
  2. 24inch atleast
  3. good color and eye soothing
Although this are some things I think would be good for me, I'm open to any and all suggestions you guys have to offer.
N.B: New to thread so apologize for making any mistake
It is possible, it is the room lighting that is contributing to your eye strain. You might look at the ambient lighting and get more back light behind your monitors.

May 12, 2021
It is possible, it is the room lighting that is contributing to your eye strain. You might look at the ambient lighting and get more back light behind your monitors.

I actually thought of that first. But what I do is start up my emulators in one and the editors in the other monitor. And as the colors doesn't match for the two monitors it get's tough after a few hours of work

kanewolf

Titan
I actually thought of that first. But what I do is start up my emulators in one and the editors in the other monitor. And as the colors doesn't match for the two monitors it get's tough after a few hours of work
OK. Color matching is something that can be corrected. Have you googled "monitor calibration" ? There are some websites with basic monitor calibration steps. After that, you would want to get a hardware monitor calibrator.

May 12, 2021
OK. Color matching is something that can be corrected. Have you googled "monitor calibration" ? There are some websites with basic monitor calibration steps. After that, you would want to get a hardware monitor calibrator.
I didn't know about that. Is there any tool you can suggest which can calibrate both my monitors to same level of accuracy

kanewolf

Titan
Solution
May 12, 2021
Thanks for all the help. That being said I still am looking for a better monitor that's good for prolonged exposure and within a budget of 300 USD
There's no such thing. If you're experiencing eye strain, it can be from many factors including:
  • Having the monitor too bright relative to the ambient light
  • Having a monitor that uses PWM to control the brightness
    • This is easy to check for. Set the brightness lower than 100 and look at it with a smartphone camera. If you see black banding, the monitor uses PWM for brightness control
  • Looking at a high-contrast screen for a long period of time.
    • Consider using a text editor with low-contrast color schemes, such as Sublime Text, Notepad++, or Visual Studio Code. I'm a fan of either Zenburn or Monokai Dark color scheme, which one of those can be found on those text editors.
  • Simply staring at something for long periods of time.
    • It's recommended to look at something else further away from the monitor for a few minutes every 15-20 minutes a few to give your eyes a break.