Best Of The Best, Part 1: Who Makes The Most Elite PC Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We would have been happy if In Win could deliver that case for under $300. Unfortunately, I think the company budgets $300 of its $800 MSRP just for replacement glass and glass shipping.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Oh please! What rubbish is this?!?! One can't abuse the word "elite" when talking about a case! It depends on the individual and each individual's needs and, perhaps most importantly, aesthetic taste!

**go to heat and noise page and then the last page from the first page**
I really don't have the inclination to read each - and - every - page in this article based on a piece of rubbish idea. Really Tom's, what on earth possessed you to do thi...**sees the picture of the In Win Tou**

Hmmm...

**reads to the In Win Tou pages**

Wow. Ok, that case is quite the looker. Gee, that construction kinda justifies the stratospheric pricing. What a beautiful case! With some nice watercooling this case will be quiet AND cool AND cool-looking! I agree with you that this is the most elite, erm, showboat-iest case of these four!

Thanks for making your readers aware of products that they would've otherwise missed Tom's! :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The article was actually conceived as a showcase for two different cases, one of which didn't show up and the other arrived late enough to be reserved for Part 2 of this 2-part series :)
Rosewill buys its cases...I'm not even certain it has a mechanical designer. Most other case brands design a case based on an existing case, so there's always the possibility of two different products coming from the same supplier and sharing some stampings.

weavermsi

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
Dear lord that In Win thing is an abominable turd. The only case here with any pedigree is the Silverstone, and that's easily the ugliest object they've produced. Please, NZXT and Corsair, put us out of our misery.

Since many are going to water cooling that needs to be addressed in the build possibilities of these cases and not just the CLC capabilities they all can handle, but complete kits of today as well.

What size radiators can be fit into these cases?

With all due respect, there's a whole lot more regarding a case review, than has been covered.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
While we're throwing out suggestions, I vote for the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 and Deep Silence 6 cases: Understated elegance with cool and very quiet performance.

However, they have almost zero bling, so I guess they might not fit this series. For me though, they're the cases I want to own right now. I don't do much showing off of my computers.

I like how the In Win case looks, but I could never forgive myself for spending that much money on a case. Now a couple of video cards?... Heck yeah! But a case? No.

The NZXT Phantom 630 (aside from some of the angles), in my opinion, is the most practical case I've had the pleasure of working with to this point. The innards and internal case design just make sense.

'Elite' definitely doesn't mean practical.

It seems to me all these case have an inefficient design for airflow. They need to be designed with open air flow from the front to the back. So that you get a solid wall of air moving across. Which is why I modded a PowerMac G5 case for ATX components.

crash nice work mate ... as always.

A bit of advice ... don't feed the trolls !!

Don't bother responding to the idiots with the stupid questions, and if they follow up with more tripe then let the mods clean up for you.

You will get all worked up and then we have to come around with a bottle of Jacks and sedate you ...

:)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So it's a go then? :p

I used to mine in the Elitist Jerks pool, until I figured out that I was too good for them...

:)

I was scratching my head over what to call the front fan on the Win case as well ... almost like it was an afterthought.

Can't wait to see part II.

Back in the day the V1000 ... V6000 Thermaltake cases were pretty good ... huge great honking things. The 1000's were steel ... mine could have taken a 7.62 round and kept going. Reminded me of my Combi Van ... had fans everywhere. Heavy. I took to it with a bosche nibbler and improved it no end in terms of airflow.

JamesRausch22

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
It seems to me all these case have an inefficient design for airflow. They need to be designed with open air flow from the front to the back. So that you get a solid wall of air moving across. Which is why I modded a PowerMac G5 case for ATX components.
I have a question about that powermac g5, how hard was it to mod it for atx. I have a old one, and have most of the parts to create a working build. (other then mobo and graphics card) and wanted to make myself a server/backup build. Thanks,
James

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah crap, they're not on my list. Do you know these any of these guys or do I need to make contact the long way?

How many parts will there be ? Not impressed by anything so far.

Agree with previous posters who said the Enthoo Primo (which took a "case of the year" award home from CES, should be on the list..... I'd add the Luxe version also. I'd also echo the request to addresses possible radiator mount locations (that is how many and of what thickness / length) and a line in the table for any otherwise uncategorized features of note. For example ..... PSU mounting and shrouds, locations and water cooling specific items like reservoir and pump mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.