Best overclocking, most stable motherboard under $125?

ncapatina

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I'm looking for stability and reliability first and overclocking potential second. I'd probably only be looking to take the Opteron to 2.2-2.4ish, so I don't really need anything ridiculous.

Anyways, thanks for the advice!

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
The ASUS A8R-MVP is in that price range, but it is a CROSS-FIRE board.

Pros: It overclocks easily and relatively well. Its reasonably priced. HiFi sound onboard. Loaded with goodies.

Cons:Some enthusiasts have complained about the power on board (rectifiers?) not being as rugged as better boards. My only complaint with it was lack of PCI slots, it has 3, but you lose one when you use the recommended PCI-E slot for your graphics card.

It's a new MB, reliability figures aren't in. There is a newer updated board with the more recent chipset from ATI.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
You may find a DFI UT Ultra D for that, it is the best over clocker. My Biostar Tforce6100-939 can get my 3200+ to 2.9ghz, I think thats a good overclocker!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
With my Epox board (in my sig, runs around $85), I took my 3800 X2 to 2.5 stably. It was stable even before the OC, and is fairly cheep.

It's not SLI, but it functions well, and SLI is probably overrated. Put the money you save into a better video card instead, and you'll get better performance than an SLI setup.