Best Password Managers 2022: Free and Paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2022
Disappointed not to see KeePassX.
  1. It's 100% free.
  2. Nothing stops you from saving the file on OneDrive
  3. KeePassDroid will complete the picture and you'll have the same password file on all your devices
KeepassDX for Android also works pretty well.
If Keepass isn't on this list, it was not tried, or this is all paid ads. Really.
Keepass has many more features than any listed and it's completely free and you don't have to share your passwords with any third party companies.

XCLN

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
A good password manager is secure, seamless, and syncs across all of the platforms you use.

Best Password Managers 2022: Free and Paid : Read more

All these have their = and - . I do like Lastpass, but since it was bought by Logmein and is no longer independent, I am presuming it is open to high level security agencies and so not soooo private. or secure as they are known to have breaches.

Best over all for security/ privacy from trusted sources would be KeepassXC, the successor of KeepassX

As mentioned also in

Last edited:
Reactions: ChronosVRdS

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014
KeepassDX for Android also works pretty well.
If Keepass isn't on this list, it was not tried, or this is all paid ads. Really.
Keepass has many more features than any listed and it's completely free and you don't have to share your passwords with any third party companies.
Fully agreed, is not only free is open-source and actively developed, both the original (my preference) and the highly recommended fork KeepassXC.

This post was "Native Ad" through and through, not even mentioned Psono an alternative to Bitwarden from Germany, also open-source and free.

Take a look at Privacy Guides - Password Managers for better recommendations for both local (safest) and cloud solutions.

May 5, 2022
I agree. Prospective Lastpass users should read the posts on the Lastpass subreddit before making a decision - many porting to Bitwarden.
My guess that the LastPass #1 position was paid advertisement, making it look like a ranking was taking place. There's a lot of discontent with LastPass due to limiting the free edition when it got bought out by LogMeIn.

Reactions: AlteriusOmega

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
My guess that the LastPass #1 position was paid advertisement, making it look like a ranking was taking place. There's a lot of discontent with LastPass due to limiting the free edition when it got bought out by LogMeIn.

LastPass user here. Have the family plan and it works great for my wife and I plus two kids. Hundreds of passwords stored, multiple shared folders with different level of access(some for kids as well as us, some just us) across 4 PC's, couple macs, and about 10 mobile devices. Aside from having to pay money, what's the downside of LastPass again? I wouldn't pay for a password manager as an individual, so I understand why that's a major criticism, but for families who would be paying for the features and ease of use they want anyway, I'm not seeing any argument against it.

AlteriusOmega

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
A good password manager is secure, seamless, and syncs across all of the platforms you use.

Best Password Managers 2022: Free and Paid : Read more

Too bad LastPass doesn't work at all with Firefox on Android right now and is incredibly buggy with all of the other mobile browsers, and is even buggy with many desktop browsers. They completely removed the Lastpass browser on the mobile app, assuming that it would seamlessly synchronize with mobile browsers but that clearly isn't the case, so now it just doesn't work at all on your phone. Sure you can go into the lastpass app, copy the username, go back to the browser and paste it, then go back to the lastpass app, copy the password, then go to the browser and paste it, and hope that the webpage doesn't do something buggy while you're switching back and forth between the apps and ruin all your progress.

Or you could switch to a password manager that actually works properly on your phone.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Did you actually test Roboform yourself? Or just echo Tom's last review done on May 10th? I’ve used it extensively on a Samsung Galaxy S21, an iPhone 13, and the Samsung Z Flip 4. Once Roboform is made the default password manager, it works flawlessly on all these platforms. And no other password managers can match Roboform's form filling finesse. I'd suggest you test it rather than just repeat what you heard or were told.

Nov 7, 2022
How does the $3/month one beat out Bitwarden which is free and syncs with all your devices. Can't beat that!

Never tried the top one, but I think Tom's summary of BitWarden's UX is accurate. It's "fairly" smooth at best and flirting with cumbersome more than half the time. I've stuck with it due to the free sync and it's been easy to coordinate (non-critical) pw shares with family. As someone who uses BitWarden, my main complaint is how buggy it is with prompting you to save passwords. Sometimes it doesn't ask at all and I have to enter it manually, sometimes the request is very delayed, sometimes it's too quick and the drop-down disappears before I can click. I'm hardly old and frail lol, tho my monitor does have a lot of real estate. The integration for Android is there, but it's hardly intuitive. I'm not sure who to blame for the BitWarden auto-fill permissions resetting periodically.

I wish it had some way of knowing when you're using OTP (one time passwords), too. My husband kept clicking 'Save' every time he would do banking. He clicked the correct one in BitWarden every time because it was always at the top, but imagine my surprise when one day he cried his password wasn't working and I saw almost 30 entries for Chase, all tied to OTPs lol.

Nov 26, 2022
I have been a Lastpass user (via the firefox browser extension) for some time but the recent update has brought that to an end. The new UI is horrible, plonking the lastpass logo into form fields in such a way that you can't click on other icons and for some reason it now auto-generates 2 different passwords of different lengths (with different UI elements) when signing up to something.

The worst result though was that my vault became corrupted and over half the usernames and passwords disappeared. Being a free user, support was non-existent as far as I could tell and just posting in the community forum was a ridiculously convoluted task requiring multiple sign-ins. On top of all that, almost every entry in my vault now had a red triangle icon warning that the password was at risk - clicking on the icon naturally takes you to a request for a paid upgrade to solve the issue. I used to recommend LastPass to everyone I spoke when the issue of passwords (and the re-use of them) came up - I'll never recommend it again.

Since Passwordgorilla now must be considered abandoned, I've migrated to KeePassXC. Too bad KeePassXC doesn't natively support nor can import data files created by Passwordgorilla, so the migration process was quite labour intensive.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I think you guys need to review Roboform again. You've been saying that same line, "Clunky on mobile" now for years. It's not. It IS the best password manager out there. Simply because, it's form and password fill capabilities are far, far superior to all the others you have reviewed here.

mr.phil

Prominent
Jan 12, 2023
No consideration of KeePass? In its KeePassXC fork, it's very good and easily syncs across devices with iCloud or OneDrive.

Reactions: Grobe

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
Just a little point about Last Pass, for my personal case it's easily the best solution since the premium version comes free with my Webroot security package. Been using both products for years and I have zero complaints; definitely recommend.

Jan 12, 2023
I've been using Zoho vault for a couple years now after lastpass stopped accepting my master password for some reason. Since I already had migrated to Zoho earlier as a test there was no serious issue luckily. Anyway it has clients on mobile as well as browser extensions and the UX is a better than lastpass.

Jan 13, 2023
I can't honestly understand how is LastPass still on these lists... Being hacked frequently and loosing vaults with passwords to hackers, I can only assume that this is good for those who don't care about security...
Being recommended is an insult to security and safety...

Jan 14, 2023
I can't honestly understand how is LastPass still on these lists... Being hacked frequently and loosing vaults with passwords to hackers, I can only assume that this is good for those who don't care about security...
Being recommended is an insult to security and safety...
Indeed. Kinda worthless article imo, very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS