Best Password Managers (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kalmereek

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Lastpass biggest problem have, you cant on phone switch off autofill on the some webpage, like bank sites. For costumer be easy if have in the pop-up autofill window 3 buttons; "autofill", "add new" and "never".
But they dont want add more buttons.
Dashlane support not good (not answering within 24h at all). Dashlane not worked 100% for all countries ( problems with phone codes if your country not on the list and problems with adding banks) I not living Usa, but for Dashlane i most pick-up fake country.
And this is 2 top applications

geeksalive

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
JOHNM719 (7 months ago) wrote, "I am shocked at your comments about KeePass." So you DELETED all mention of KeePass?!?!

Paul Wagenseil, what on earth possessed you to do THAT? How is it even possible to have an article about password managers with NO MENTION AT ALL of the oldest and most popular password manager, and the only one which is completely free?

Marc_24

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I use Dashlane but it uses far too much resource on your computer. I've read complaints about this for quite some time and yet they haven't resolved the issue.

ianmacd

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
The last time I looked at Dashlane, it couldn't compete with LastPass for ease of use and feature set. This was particularly true for me, a Linux user. Inspired by your review, however, I decided to give it another go.

Linux support is now available in the form of a Chrome extension. This was trivial to install, but I couldn't work out how to import my exported LastPass passwords into it. Well, it turns out that you can't. You still need the stand-alone app for that, and there is still no stand-alone app for Linux. Many other features, such as the entire Security Dashboard, are also not available in the Chrome extension. That's a significant disadvantage compared to LastPass.

So, I used WINE to install and run the Windows app in Linux. This worked pretty much flawlessly and I was able to get my passwords imported from LastPass.

As a first test, I decided to log into bbc.com. Unfortunately, Dashlane didn't offer a password for the site. I thought about this for a second an then quickly realised the problem. My password is tied to the domain bbc.co.uk, with bbc.com defined as an equivalent domain in LastPass. A quick Google search revealed that Dashlane still has no notion of equivalent domains. That's another major disadvantage compared to LastPass, as I use equivalent domains a lot.

Next, it turns out that 2FA can't be used to log you into the web extension. It works only with the stand-alone apps. LastPass wins here again.

I abandoned by investigation at this point, since no matter what else Dashlane does right, it can't compensate for the three problems noted above. I don't want to have to use WINE to get to certain information or to configure certain features; I don't want to have to save the same password multiple times for equivalent domains, thereby also triggering reused password warnings; and I don't want to have to use an authenticator app to log into Dashlane when I have a perfectly good Yubikey in my desktop and laptop.

Oh, and Dashboard still costs $40 per annum, compared to LastPass' $24.

So, no contest, really. LastPass still wins hands down if one is a Linux user. Maybe in another year or two, Dashlane will have caught up. For now, however, the lack of equivalent cross-platform functionality and the omission of support for equivalent domains are both deal-breakers in their own right.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

Lately I have problems using Keepass with firefox. Do you know of any trick, update I could try?
I had it set up with the addon keepasshttp, but i can not get it working lately.

Paul Wagenseil

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

We make that point in the current review.

Paul Wagenseil

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014

We didn't delete it. The KeePass review was done a few years ago, so it's no longer listed on this page. But here it is if you'd like to read it: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/keepass,review-3768.html

Status
Not open for further replies.