[SOLVED] Best performance in-home game Streaming setup (using Parsec)

Mar 28, 2020
So I have a loud gaming PC in a spare room and it is connected via ethernet to our Telus router/modem and I'm trying to improve latency streaming using Parsec to another PC in my livingroom that is connected via ethernet to a Telus Wifi repeater (local game streaming). There are several people using the same repeaters which I think is causing the latency so I was wondering if I could use a wifi adapter on my gaming PC in the spare room to connect to internet so my games stay updated etc and then use the NIC ethernet to connect my PC to a separate router (an ASUS RT AC66U) that I use to beam the game to the other PC connected to the SSID of that router (which will not be connected to the internet, only used for WLAN) and have the ASUS Router using different channels so there isn't interference from overlapping channels. The spare room is about 35 feet from where I want to stream games to and wired LAN setup is not an option unfortunately. I don't want to connect the ASUS router to the main Telus router for internet because I don't want to interfere with that setup. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thx

Solution
You are making things massively complex. Spending the money to cut the fan noise I would think would be a better use.

I will assume you have some way to stream the data directly. Many of these system only work by sending the data to hosting company over the internet. If that is true it is likely the cause of the lag.

Just using wifi is likely the main cause of your problem not sharing it with other people in your house. There tends to be plenty of wifi bandwidth. The much larger issue is your neighbors wifi use that stomps on your signals which causes data latency spikes. You generally can't find channels that do not overlap. The newest wifi 6 routers use almost 100% of the available channels to get the high speed...
You are making things massively complex. Spending the money to cut the fan noise I would think would be a better use.

I will assume you have some way to stream the data directly. Many of these system only work by sending the data to hosting company over the internet. If that is true it is likely the cause of the lag.

Just using wifi is likely the main cause of your problem not sharing it with other people in your house. There tends to be plenty of wifi bandwidth. The much larger issue is your neighbors wifi use that stomps on your signals which causes data latency spikes. You generally can't find channels that do not overlap. The newest wifi 6 routers use almost 100% of the available channels to get the high speed. Even the older 802.11ac ones use huge blocks.

You can try what you suggest. It will be very complex having 2 nics/networks active on the machine at the same time. Not sure if there is any impact on the stream software if it needs to use both. You would be much better off if you really plan to do that is put the new router between the game pc and the main router and run it as a AP and plug the game pc into the new router.

Your best option though likely is to try to get rid of the wifi completely. Look at poweline network devices or Moca if you have coax cable in both rooms. Both these technologies have much better latency than wifi and tend to be much more stable.

Solution
Mar 28, 2020
Thanks for the tip, removing the fan noise would involve switching GPU and since I'm using a small form factor PC my options are limited with that regard. I could buy a bigger case that I can add more fans and get a full size GPU that would involve spending more money than I'd like. Most new AC routers have beamforming and I'm only about 30 feet away from the host PC. PARSEC only uses the internet for the initial handshake, all of the streaming happens through the local area network. I can get a used AC 1900 router off Craigslist for much less than it would cost for me to upgrade the case or GPU. Powerline ethernet it's something I've looked into as well but I haven't heard anyone having good success using this. I have fiddled around with the settings in parsec but I think my main issue here is interference with all of the Wi-Fi repeaters using the same SSID and channels for the 5G. Using 5G over Wi-Fi through a router that can do beamforming on a different Channel range then the Wi-Fi repeaters in the house should resolve that issue. I could just connect my router into one of the ports on the main router so it does have internet which I will probably end up doing but my hesitation is around concerns that my router will be at bandwidth hog which will cause the other users in the house streaming issues. The house I'm in is old and I'm not confident that the wiring would be good for using Powerline ethernet.

Since the traffic never goes to the internet it will not affect the other users. It would go from the game pc to the new router and then out the wifi it would never go to the cable connecting the main router. All the other users traffic would go to the main router via the other wifi.

Beam forming sounds really good on paper but it makes little difference in most installations. The radio signal may not even be going direct. Many times they bounce around and say go out door and around rather than through the walls that absorb the signal.

802.11ac uses 80mhz blocks to get the speed. The "channels" you see in the router are only 20mhz wide so it uses groups of 4. There are only 2 ranges of 4 contiguous blocks you can use in most countries. Some there is only 1.

All you can do is try it and see if It works I guess. I am lucky and have ethernet in every room of the house so I only use wifi for thing where performance is not important.

Mar 28, 2020
powerline ethernet is not the way to go. to many issues.

https://www.newegg.com/ubiquiti-uap-ac-lite/p/N82E16833664024 i use one of these. got a 4k tv running 50 feet away from one of these with few glitches

or you can do what i did to move that wifi antana to a middle area. cat6 flat white cable and pin it to the ceiling
Are you doing in home game streaming to your 4K TV? I have no issues streaming 4K videos it's just with gaming. I think the issues with interference there's about 4 devices connected to the same 5Ghz channel.

powerline ethernet is not the way to go. to many issues.

https://www.newegg.com/ubiquiti-uap-ac-lite/p/N82E16833664024 i use one of these. got a 4k tv running 50 feet away from one of these with few glitches

or you can do what i did to move that wifi antana to a middle area. cat6 flat white cable and pin it to the ceiling
You are lucky that cable works. That is one of the many fake cables you find being sold. That cable has wire size that is below the allowed size. It automatically means the cable is not a certified ethernet cable. Since it follows no standard you never really know what you get. Many time the cables do not last if they work at all out of the box. They tend to only work at shorter distances.

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
You are lucky that cable works. That is one of the many fake cables you find being sold. That cable has wire size that is below the allowed size. It automatically means the cable is not a certified ethernet cable. Since it follows no standard you never really know what you get. Many time the cables do not last if they work at all out of the box. They tend to only work at shorter distances.
I read up on the cable before i bought it. good brand and all the reviews i could find said no problem, besides a few lemons in the batch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4XBTH0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 28, 2020
I am trying to keep expenses down to $100 or under, the Ubiquity device is more than double my target budget. I ended up going with an ASUS RT-AC68U Dual Band AC1900 WiFi Gigabit Router which I will just have the HOST PC connected to LAN 1, nothing in the WAN port and then anytime I want a game doing in-home game streaming I will connect the device I want to stream to the SSID created to the ASUS router. I just wanted to know if there is a way to maybe use connectify or something to set it up so that I get the internet to the computer through a USB Wi-Fi adapter but then have the host PC connected to a specific WAN that is setup on non-conflicting 5Ghz channel. That way I'm not spending more than $100 and I'm still able to go the wireless route but I am eliminating interference on the channel which should hopefully improve my latency. My latency issues only happen when everyone is using their devices because main internet is being distributed through Wi-Fi extenders that TELUS setup. I'm going to try it out today and I guess that's the only way to know whether or not it will work. I'll probably have to change some adapter settings to configure the way that I need.