[SOLVED] best place on the net to buy a used copy of os x leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
ok so i scored a cheap imac G4 its the one with the dome on the bottom and since im not a mac person i have no idea what reputable websites if any would sell a copy of os x 10.5 leopard aside from amazon and ebay as there to expensive

Solution
Try Amazon. Be aware of the following:

1. Unless you have at least 1GB of RAM you will be disappointed with the performance of Leopard - go for Tiger instead. Although Leopard supports 512MB it does not perform well.

2. You need a 1.0GHz or greater processor for Leopard.

3. Make sure that you buy a retail package, not a disk intended for a particular machine. These abound on eBay, but will only work on the model they were first supplied with. As that model of iMac was never supplied with Leopard, a machine-specific disk will not work. The same goes for Tiger.

These OSs are very old, and unsupported. You might get better results by running Linux.

Oops; just noticed that you said not Amazon or eBay. I don't think there are any other...

McHenryB

Admirable
Try Amazon. Be aware of the following:

1. Unless you have at least 1GB of RAM you will be disappointed with the performance of Leopard - go for Tiger instead. Although Leopard supports 512MB it does not perform well.

2. You need a 1.0GHz or greater processor for Leopard.

3. Make sure that you buy a retail package, not a disk intended for a particular machine. These abound on eBay, but will only work on the model they were first supplied with. As that model of iMac was never supplied with Leopard, a machine-specific disk will not work. The same goes for Tiger.

These OSs are very old, and unsupported. You might get better results by running Linux.

Oops; just noticed that you said not Amazon or eBay. I don't think there are any other reputable sources, so that increases the Linux recommendation.

Solution

Kaitlin Kaschak

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013

well since im new to mac and since im using this imac just for fun my main pc is windows 7 desktop would you recommend i install tiger or leopard also my cpu is 1ghz andf my ram is 1GB

Status
Not open for further replies.