[SOLVED] Best possible GPU for AMD Ryzen 1700?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shohan0073

Honorable
Mar 28, 2015
Hi there , I am going to buy a new GPU for my build but i'm a bit of confused about the bottleneck issue. Currently i have a MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB which is i am using for 4 years & 2 months+. The budget is not much of an issue but i need the best performing GPU possible for my Ryzen 1700 . I have RX 5700 XT in mind but i would really appreciate the suggestion of you guys. Thank you.

Here is my current build:
CPU : Ryzen 1700 3.2 GHz
GPU : MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB
Motherboard : MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON
RAM : 32GB G-Skill Trident Z (3200 MHz) DDR4
STORAGE : 1x Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB NVMe SSD
1x Toshiba 1TB
PSU : Thermaltek 550W
Monitor : 1080p Dell
1080p LG

Reactions: handhika
Solution
Hi there, i really appreciate both of you are trying to help me but you need to know that i have a great budget for the GPU but not the CPU right now. But in future like in 1 year or couple of months i m gonna get at least a 3900X so an overkill for some time is that too bad for my system? What do you think? and certainly i am not concerned about the PSU i can change it at any moment so its not a big deal. Just let me know the best gpu my system can handle.
Thank you so much.
BOTH OF MY MONITORS ARE 60HZ
I WILL USE 3 Monitors for work purpose 1/2 for gaming
Technically, as long as you have the PSU to power it, you could put any GPU in your system. If you do plan to upgrade the CPU, or the rest of the system, later...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@ttower2020 - wait, WHAT upgrades mentioned by the OP? A CPU upgrade is mentioned, yes, but not a monitor upgrade.

That said, you are correct - a more powerful GPU will dip below 60fps less frequently, or not at all. But take a look at the test results for the games in the Tom's Hardware review of the 1660 Super:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx_1660_super-sc-ultra/2

Only in 3 out of the 10 tested games does the 1660 Super dip below 60fps, for the 99th percentile. In one, that dip only goes to 58.9 fps. In the other two where it dips, the average frame rate is comfortably enough over 60 that I doubt there will be many cases where a dip below it is seen/noticeable.

Now if the requirement is "NEVER dip below 60fps EVER in ANY game" then that's a different issue.

"The budget is not much of an issue but i need the best performing GPU possible ... i would really appreciate the suggestion of you guys"

To me this indicates to me that they can afford upgrades, and have no tight budget. They mentioned upgrading the CPU later as well, which means they have the budget for that as well in the near future. My suggestion involved upgrading monitors instead of the CPU for the time being, or if they had the budget for a $1200 GPU, spend a bit less there, such as the 2070 Super, and upgrade the monitor as well. I realize I never said this directly, but that was part of my intent with what I was suggesting, since they were open to ideas.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is one thing I forgot to consider, the quality of your PSU. A top of the line 550W will be able to provide more power than a low end 550W. EVGA and Corsair make some great high end models, such as the one listed above.

@King_V You are not wrong about an overkill GPU not showing more FPS directly, however a powerful GPU will do two things. 1, it will last for longer before it can no longer provide that 60 FPS. 2, getting 60 FPS average means that the FPS drops below 60, so those drops might be noticeable to the user, depending on the game and the level of drop. If you get a GPU that can average say, 90 FPS, then any drops or stutters will usually still be over 60 FPS, so the game play will appear smoother, with less fluctuations.

As I also mentioned already, the possibility of future upgrades mentioned by the OP means that a more powerful GPU might become useful in the near future, even if not used to its full potential at this moment.

Shh, he will tell you that you are wrong and start downvoting your posts.....he knows ALL.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Shh, he will tell you that you are wrong and start downvoting your posts.....he knows ALL.

Unlike some, I do NOT downvote arbitrarily, and certainly don't engage in "revenge downvoting."

I downvote if there's genuinely bad advice. Or, of course, troll posts, fanboy posts, and such.

That said, from OP:
BOTH OF MY MONITORS ARE 60HZ
I WILL USE 3 Monitors for work purpose 1/2 for gaming
This implies a work setup that may be impacted by changing one of the monitors. Not sure about the 3rd monitor's specs, but at this point I'm assuming it's the same specs as the other two. Either way, the using 1 or 2 for gaming, and all three for work, implies to me that a monitor upgrade is not in the near future.