Best Power Supply Units For Cryptocurrency Mining

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihateregister

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I always enjoy reading articles by non technical people. Refurbished Server Power supplies are a much better deal. Costing pennies on the dollar compared to all these overpriced and inefficiently rated power supplies. Crypto miners need a strong 12 volt rail, not a generic PC power supply. Caveat Emptor!

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I agree! If making money is the objective you want to spend as little as possible to get something "good enough".

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Server PSUs lack the minor rails which are essential to any desktop PC to operate, and all desktop PSUs for almost a decade now have a strong +12V rail and as for efficiency, the desktop PSUs are on par with the server ones although they have DC-DC converters, which cost in efficiency, are much more silent and have way better ripple suppression.

I won't recommend to my readers getting a used server PSU (or a used PSU in general) which can blow sky high once loaded, since you simply don't know how heavily it was used before. On top of that, server PSUs are meant to operate 24/7, so don't expect to find a lightly used one, unless it had a problem from the start and it was sent for repair (and afterwards it is sold are refurbished).

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Server PSUs are designed to run hard 24/7 for a decade or so.If it's only a few years old there's no problem, since one can expect the mining operation to last for five years or less.
As for the minor rails those can be covered by a second, less powerful and way cheaper, PSU.

Calculating the benefits of power efficiency a simple figure is that 1% difference in efficiency (between two PSUs) translates to a difference in power consumption by about 1.5 kWh/month when using 1 kW 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.