Question Best Processor I can get for my motherboard?

Seipher09

Commendable
May 3, 2020
Just curious what your opinions would be on the best processor I can get would be? I currently have the Ryzen 7 3800x and was curious what would be the best upgrade I can do to delay a new computer for as long as possible. I think the 9 series ones are the best overall? Below is a link of all compatible CPU's for my motherboard.

"Best"?

Technically, the Ryzen 9 5950x is the best CPU that board supports IF you have updated the BIOS to version 6042 or higher.

I'd bet you have power delivery issues using that CPU on that board though. The highest tiered CPU that I would recommend using on that board would be the Ryzen 9 5900. But the 5950x is absolutely supported on there. And of course, I am not including any of the ridiculous "Pro" models. Those are really not even worth considering for most people given the cost to performance comparison with the regular consumer models.

Ralston18

Titan
What is your budget?

Current hardware specs? OS: Version, edition.....

Consider a CPU with integrated graphics. May not necessarily be needed but if there are GPU problems then iGPU is a good thing to have as "backup". Unless you can readily obtain some other known working GPU to swap in.

kanewolf

Titan
Just curious what your opinions would be on the best processor I can get would be? I currently have the Ryzen 7 3800x and was curious what would be the best upgrade I can do to delay a new computer for as long as possible. I think the 9 series ones are the best overall? Below is a link of all compatible CPU's for my motherboard.

For gaming the 5800 3DX would be the fastest.

Gotta say too, coming from the 3800x, the 5800x looks very appealing as an upgrade considering it's like 100 bucks cheaper than the 5800x3d or the 5900x, at least. And you are still looking at like a 26% increase in single core performance and a 20% in multithreaded performance for like 200 bucks, which isn't terrible. Going with the 5800x3d looks more like a 17% gain in single core and the same 20% in multithreaded, for a little over 300 bucks so not seeing that much for that extra 100 bucks BUT that is strictly non-gaming numbers. For gaming, we know that is a different story, but I don't have good hard numbers for that other than most the reviews I looked at showed about a 6% advantage for gaming over the 5800x, so if you're willing to pay an extra hundred bucks for a 6-10% advantage, maybe that's the way to go.

Personally, if it were me and I felt I HAD to upgrade to something, the 5800x at 200 bucks would be the way I'd go unless I valued the extra performance at any cost more than the money itself for other things. But, that's just me too.

KyaraM

Admirable
What is your use case and budget? For productivity, the 5950X is the best option. For gaming performance, it's the 5800X3D. However, as stated above, you might encounter issues with power delivwry on your board, so something like a 5800X or 5700X would likely be a quite decent option.

5700x. Essentially a 5800x, but without the power requirements for cooling. And cheaper.
All true, but, you're only saving like twenty bucks and you're losing like 9% of the potential gains with the 5800x. I guess really it just depends on how good your cooling solution is for the CPU, how good your case cooling is as it might have a direct impact on VRM performance AND how much you ACTUALLY want to spend. Because, these are all options, but there are definitely factors affecting which of them makes the most sense.

Reactions: Karadjgne