Question Best program for house network file sharing?

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
I'm looking for the best option to file-share across a home network. Basically, the same kind of deal that Windows is supposed to allow naturally, but not using Windows. And I don't mean in a dropbox or something. I'm saying just designating certain drives or certain folders as "shared" and then every PC in the house can access it.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm looking for the best option to file-share across a home network. Basically, the same kind of deal that Windows is supposed to allow naturally, but not using Windows. And I don't mean in a dropbox or something. I'm saying just designating certain drives or certain folders as "shared" and then every PC in the house can access it.
What do you mean by "but not using Windows" ?

What type of system will this be hosted on?

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Look into a NAS

Yeah this is kind of like the drop-box thing I was talking about. I specifically don't want to have to dump files into a separate place. I want to be able to access parts of my internal drives, different external drives, etc. I don't want to have to move them all to some central location.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm using Windows but I've found that it's too finicky and unreliable to use. I want something fool-proof and simple.
Still unsure of what you're seeking.
Is this data to be accessed by multiple house systems and users?

A standalone system, or just within your current Windows system?

I have a QNAP NAS, for exactly this purpose. Currently, about 85TB drive space.
Various volumes/folders in it mapped to different drive letters from the house systems.

For instance, an "S drive". Mapped drive letter to a space on the NAS. All a user has to do is "save a file to the S drive", and it is instantly available to all other systems.
Windows, Linux, Android, whatever.

It also takes in the nightly/weekly backups for all the house systems.

A dedicated NAS from QNAP or Synology, or something you build with FreeNAS (or something else Linux) as the OS.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Okay so a NAS is basically the standard way of doing this, I'm gathering. What I was hoping for is a 3rd party program (let's call it BOB) whereby you could tag certain folder or whole drives as "share using BOB", then you could open up BOB on any PC on the network and see a listing of all folders shared to BOB, regardless of where on the network it is (any number of scattered drives). I was hoping to keep all the shared folders where they are right now without having to copy or move them. So for example, I could map the "Movies" folder on my external hard drive in the basement to BOB, and then the PC upstairs connected to a TV could simply use its version of BOB to see the folder from downstairs and run the movie files over the network.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so a NAS is basically the standard way of doing this, I'm gathering. What I was hoping for is a 3rd party program (let's call it BOB) whereby you could tag certain folder or whole drives as "share using BOB", then you could open up BOB on any PC on the network and see a listing of all folders shared to BOB, regardless of where on the network it is (any number of scattered drives). I was hoping to keep all the shared folders where they are right now without having to copy or move them. So for example, I could map the "Movies" folder on my external hard drive in the basement to BOB, and then the PC upstairs connected to a TV could simply use its version of BOB to see the folder from downstairs.
That would be simple File/Folder sharing within Windows.
It mostly works, but the hosting system has to be on all the time.

Or, set up an FTP share (more complex)

But a dedicated NAS is exactly what this is for.
My QNAP also hosts the movie and music libraries. Accessible from any system in the house. Including and especially the little HTPC that feeds the TV.
This also holds the folder of dinner recopies, takes in any downloads through the browsers, etc, etc.

Once set up properly and drive letters mapped, your Movie library is as easily accessible as if it were in the /Users/Videos library internally on your PC.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my house router has a usb port for plugging in an external drive. this automatically shares it on the network for all to use. in windows explorer it is added to the network drives and everyone can share it. very simple to use and might be something for you to consider.

your router might have such a port or you could upgrade to one if you desire.

just another option to avoid the windows "feature"

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
my house router has a usb port for plugging in an external drive. this automatically shares it on the network for all to use. in windows explorer it is added to the network drives and everyone can share it. very simple to use and might be something for you to consider.

your router might have such a port or you could upgrade to one if you desire.

just another option to avoid the windows "feature"

I'm just using the standard Verizon router right now. Not sure I want to mess with that whole part of it. But that's a good idea too.

USAFRet

Titan
Right. That's what I've been saying. I want something that does what Windows "does", but in a 3rd party app. That's all.
Suggestions so far:

FTP server (multiple clients available, such as FileZilla and WinSCP )
Windows file/folder sharing
Dedicated NAS, either commercial or self built
External drive connected to the router.

I'm not aware of anything else that would work 'offline and only locally'
FWIW, I've not had any real issues with File/folder sharing in Windows.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not sure why you are having issue with Windows file sharing. It is quite easy and reliable once you have the proper sharing permissions and power options enabled on the share. I actually prefer it to most of the "file sharing" third party stuff like FreeNAS and so forth. I picked up a Synology but IMO it's not a very secure or safe device to count on for backups. It works like a charm for simple file sharing.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Suggestions so far:

FTP server (multiple clients available, such as FileZilla and WinSCP )
Windows file/folder sharing
Dedicated NAS, either commercial or self built
External drive connected to the router.

I'm not aware of anything else that would work 'offline and only locally'
FWIW, I've not had any real issues with File/folder sharing in Windows.

I've always had trouble getting shared stuff to show up on other PCs, both with Windows 7 and 10. I just want something that just works every time. I'm also curious if I can loop my Steam Deck into that. Anyway, thanks for the info, I guess NAS is my best bet.

USAFRet

Titan
I've always had trouble getting shared stuff to show up on other PCs, both with Windows 7 and 10. I just want something that just works every time. I'm also curious if I can loop my Steam Deck into that. Anyway, thanks for the info, I guess NAS is my best bet.
Jan 2017, I was looking to upgrade from the "spare Windows PC as house server".
It worked, but....

Every option I looked at, one of the commercial NAS boxes won out.
6 years of 24/7 use later...the QNAP is still going strong.

USAFRet

Titan
Alright cool, NAS it is. So wait...is there a guide to those? Are they just giant external hard drives that use Windows sharing?
The two main brands would be Sunology and QNAP.

https://www.synology.com/en-us

Both have multiple versions, to fit your price and use.
And a virtual OS, to try it and see.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Okay so 2 years later, I'm finally doing this. Can someone give me a step-by-step on how this all works? All I need it for is simple file sharing but these prices I'm seeing are insane (all above $1k) and I'm assuming they are for more intense business uses. Is there a cheap option to put a 20 terabyte (maybe with room for expansion later) on the home network? Literally just for running movie/music files from any PC in the house. What's the step-by-step process?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so 2 years later, I'm finally doing this. Can someone give me a step-by-step on how this all works? All I need it for is simple file sharing but these prices I'm seeing are insane (all above $1k) and I'm assuming they are for more intense business uses. Is there a cheap option to put a 20 terabyte (maybe with room for expansion later) on the home network? Literally just for running movie/music files from any PC in the house. What's the step-by-step process?
$240 + drives
https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-216G-US-Affordable-Cortex-A55-Built/dp/B0D1WYD1DB

$190 + drives
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-2-Bay-DiskStation-DS223j-Diskless/dp/B0C8814GKB

Ralston18

Titan
Per @MathGeek attaching an external USB drive to the router's USB port is a "feature" offered by various routers.

However, attaching USB storage is very likely to slow network performance simply because the router is really not intended to be a "storage device."

The router's USB port only being very rarely used for ocassional purposes and/or "in a pinch" situations.

Likely no harm per se with trying the router and a USB connected drive.

May or may not be viable with respect to the router, disk drive, and hosted network.

Just be ready to undo if necessary.

Check the router's User Guide/Manual for instructions and details.

And, as always, have all data backed up somewhere else as well.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Per @MathGeek attaching an external USB drive to the router's USB port is a "feature" offered by various routers.

However, attaching USB storage is very likely to slow network performance simply because the router is really not intended to be a "storage device."

The router's USB port only being very rarely used for ocassional purposes and/or "in a pinch" situations.

Likely no harm per se with trying the router and a USB connected drive.

May or may not be viable with respect to the router, disk drive, and hosted network.

Just be ready to undo if necessary.

Check the router's User Guide/Manual for instructions and details.

And, as always, have all data backed up somewhere else as well.
I'm still figuring this out, but if I'm understanding it correctly, I think the only reason we would hook something up to the USB port is to transfer movies onto a portable drive for traveling. In which case, that should be fine, right? I'm not planning on running external drives through via the USB port for home use.