Question Best program for house network file sharing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
I'm looking for the best option to file-share across a home network. Basically, the same kind of deal that Windows is supposed to allow naturally, but not using Windows. And I don't mean in a dropbox or something. I'm saying just designating certain drives or certain folders as "shared" and then every PC in the house can access it.

stethnorun

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2014
Okay so I think I've got everything set up correctly, trying to use the Qfinder Pro program, and whenever I try to access the NAS (either through the app itself or just Windows Network), I double click on the name of my NAS on the network and it comes up blank and I can't do anything with it (such as move files onto it or create new folders or anything). I'm guessing there's a step I'm missing? I even created a "Storage pool" thinking that was a necessary step (I'd rather not do that, I just want it to be as lightweight and Windows-like as possible). But that didn't seem to change anything either.

EDIT: Nevermind, I deleted the pool and just created a static volume instead. Hopefully that's all that was needed.

Last edited: