Best programming laptop? Price is not an issue

mattwood2855

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
I would like to get a quality laptop with the best feature set for a programmer.

I bought the Dell XPS18 (which I loved), but its a little slow on larger compilations and will cause music to stutter on youtube. It also has slow writespeeds sometimes (weird issue, but annoying when copying large filesets)

I predominantly code with .NET in Visual Studio 2013, but sometimes will work in LAMP stacks for web projects.

One of my projects is a game being built in Unreal Engine 4, so gpu is also important.

Thanks guys!

Solution

Asus also have great gaming notebooks like ROG G750JZ.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/

It has a Core i7-4700HQ 4-core/8-thread and a GTX 880M. But I don't know the price.

Brunostako

Honorable
Just look for a Core i7 Haswell laptop with 16GB of RAM. That's all. To know if it is a Haswell, its code number starts with 4 and must not have a U or Y, those imply low power and lower performance vs normal ones.

Saludos desde México

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
As a programmer myself, an i5 is plenty for most compilers. However since you will be using Unreal Engine, I suggest an i7 with a dedicated GPU of at least an 840M or higher. The Unreal Engine when compiling on just the i7 takes a bit too much time.

mattwood2855

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Is there a certain company i should be looking at? I build my desktops - it seems building your own laptops isnt so plausible.

I think an i7 with one of the high GTXM cards is good, and the bigger the screen the better.

I feel like Alienware and MSI are overpriced. Is there a solid competitor in the high end gaming laptops?

Brunostako

Honorable

Asus also have great gaming notebooks like ROG G750JZ.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JZ/

It has a Core i7-4700HQ 4-core/8-thread and a GTX 880M. But I don't know the price.

Solution