Best Replayable Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised to see Rise of Nations on this list. I'd always considered it kind of a lost game because no one ever talks about it, but I play it for hours on end fairly frequently. I also play Supreme Commander like that but apparently we just don't talk about Supreme Commander.

Over all I agree with most of the list. New Vegas is another of my massive timesinks. Even with Fallout 4 released I go back to New Vegas when I just need to get out of the city.

Also, you need to add the addendum that Overwatch is only replayable if you are good at it. Otherwise the game has zero value as it is primarily multiplayer... kinda like Battlefront, only Battlefront seems easier and prettier.

Now, admit that Halo 2 is on this list ONLY because 3 and later haven't made their way to PC yet. Be honest now.

eh, it's not a comprehensive list.
I see everyone is mentioning their fav games. Personally the most re-playable game I've been playing lately is Hearthstone.
There are plenty of other games that COULD go on that list but it's opinion based. Everyone's life experiences are different and I agree with some of you asking why X game didn't make the list. Several of your mentions I have played over and over.

Tadpole

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wing Commander is great, but a game like Privateer 2: The darkening was even better, because it took the same greatness of wing-commander (in an almost identically themed universe) with sand-box style game-play.

I would say the CS series more than just CS:GO but what gets me is that there are plenty of other games not on this list that should be. Ones that probably have more hours per user than a lot of games on this list. Hell Team Fortress 2 is not on here and it is still, almost always, in the top 10 played games on Steam and has been since 2007.

There are also some on here that seem more meh but to each their own.

I played Witcher 3 several times with different character builds each time. Other than Diablo II and Metro, never played any of the others on the list more than once. As far as any of the Halo stuff, I couldn't even finish those once.

kitekrazy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
STALKER series
C&C series except for 4
Splinter Cell series
Far Cry series
Just Cause 2

There's plenty. You really can't make a list.

I'd suggest star control 2. The main campaign is massive and the design was way ahead of it's time (long term reprecussions to your actions, sandbox gameplay rather than railroading, a universe in which things will happen with or without you, etc). On top of that the scenario mode isbasically a coolection of short stories, and I don't know how many hours I spent in melee mode (roster based pvp, you each pick 5 ships)

bloodroses

Distinguished

I'm so glad Star Control 2 got remade properly. The Ur-Quan Masters is awesome. :)

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Jake Hall

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Diablo 1 and 2, for sure. Overwatch? Go to hell.
Over the last year I've revisited Duke Nukem 3D, STALKER series, No One Lives Forever, Unreal

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
I have found myself using Just Cause 2, Just Cause 3, Dishonored, and Dishonored 2 to kill time on many occasions. I think JC2/3 offer huge areas to explore and places to set up "stunts" like choreographed explosions, etc. Dishonored series I find has a lot of replay trying to beat challenges like not being detected, not killing, not using powers, finding all the loot in a mission, etc. I also sometimes replay a mission just to try to see if I can pull off some more creative kills :)

CSGOfreeskinseu

Prominent
May 2, 2017
The replayability factors for Skyrim are also there for TES IV, Oblivion and TES III, Morrowind. I've replayed each of those more even than I have Skyrim.

IMO the same can be said for all earlier versiions of "Civilization". Friends and I played Civ 1 over and over for a very long time when it came out.

Most of the others I've not played, though Wing Commander: Privateer is quite replayable, for there are a number of ways to go.

http://csgofreeskins.eu/

This whole topic is a little silly when you put a little scrutiny into it. Why is Chess, Solitaire, Tetris or PacMan not on this list, for example? I'm willing to bet that ALL of these games has been "replayed" MORE times than any game on this list!

bloodroses

Distinguished

Tetris and solitaire for sure. I have wasted so many hours playing those games. :) The whole point of older games was to be replayable; especially in the old Atari days.

IPHIXTOOMUCH5264

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
i discovered an RPG on Steam that I had not been aware of. I took a chance and bought a copy of it from Steam. I hoped that it was a viable source that would allow me to play it with much interest. The title is : The Shadow of Mordor. The game is amazing! It has a fantastic combat system and the storyline suits my 'obsession' with all of the books that Tolkien wrote. (I have read the trilogy >5x AND I close friend has a hardbound copy which features gold guilded edges and the paper is onion skin OR a close facsimile. I would love to own it!) There is many additional DLCs and there is a new release on the horizion named : http://za.ign.com/shadow-of-mordor-2/107149/news/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-release-date-delayed.
I bought the GOTY Edition and discovered that ALL of the DLC was included! The graphics are exceptional as far as my fantasy motivations are concerned. I consider this title as engrossing as the Elder Scrolls Game Series OR the Blizzard series including all of the games that they host. I have been a video gamer since Diablo I was realised. I have spent many hours enjoying many games that deal with a Dungeons and Dragons theme - I used to play it when it was a fad in the late 1980's and early 1990's. I know that my need for 'hand-to-hand blood/gore - in your face fantasy combat' has driven me to search for books/films or video games which will satiate my needs. I am expecting to enjoy the series for countless hours and relegating my gaming time between this new discovery and Star Wars Galaxies Emulator will be a challenge. Note : I am retired and have made sure that my time is mine to spend. Take a chance like I did and buy a copy from Steam. $10 is what one would spend at McDonalds and after consuming the meal it ends up becoming the same thing as the disappointment felt IF the game sux...js

Status
Not open for further replies.