Question Best sbc which can run windows?

Jan 21, 2023
Hi,
I'm interested to make an offgrid lowpower pc system, and guess the best option is on soc, sbc. Searching on internet I found quite performant ones, but almost all are running only on linux (&sndroid). I need windows in order to install and work in softwares like: acad, bricscad, sketchup, rhino, photoshop, gimp, and even twinmotion (at least basic). Can you recommend me the best sbc which runs windows?

Thanx,
Juanitto

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I'm interested to make an offgrid lowpower pc system, and guess the best option is on soc, sbc. Searching on internet I found quite performant ones, but almost all are running only on linux (&sndroid). I need windows in order to install and work in softwares like: acad, bricscad, sketchup, rhino, photoshop, gimp, and even twinmotion (at least basic). Can you recommend me the best sbc which runs windows?

Thanx,
Juanitto
A laptop.
And a relatively powerful one at that.

Its not just Windows that is the issue, but rather your chosen software.
Photoshop is a resource hog.
Rhino3D, once you get into moderately complex models, resource hog.

Jan 21, 2023
Low power SoC running a resource hog OS is going to be pretty slow. I'd recommend a laptop instead.
A laptop would be too big for my needs (I want take it with me as a small portable device, I can let at home the rest, the portable monitor and other peripherics).
Should exists something I guess, soc, sbc, windows capable, I saw some on reviews which even runs games! (but not on windows)

Jan 21, 2023
A laptop.
And a relatively powerful one at that.

Its not just Windows that is the issue, but rather your chosen software.
Photoshop is a resource hog.
Rhino3D, once you get into moderately complex models, resource hog.
Well, actualy me I use an old bricscad version for dwg, rhino basic or moderate as objects complexity, gimp instead of photoshop, and it would be nice to run also twinmotion at least at basic settings. I had an old lenovo t420 and I managed, of course, maybe nowdays exist more perfomants soc sbc which can also supports external graphic card (docking, separate power supply) if need it

syfari

Honorable
Aug 9, 2017
The lattepanda is an option, but they're pretty expensive and I doubt you would see much benefit when compared to a (much cheaper) laptop of the same spec.

Jan 21, 2023
Well, I'm willing to learn linux cad, as libracad, freecad, gimp for images, and blender for rendering, so I thought about khada edge 2 pro, but then, when I consult chatgpt, I found that the best option would be nvidia jetson nano (even the price rised x4), and second option would be nxp imx8. What do you think? Imx8 can run ubuntu and those softwares? Chatgpt insisted it does, but me I didn't find the confirmation on internet, and if it does, does it optimized for blender rendering? Jetson nano I think it's more sure from this point of view, it cost around 300 euros, while imx8 maybe could be 100 cheaper, but without software optimisation. Do you know other similar alternatives?