[SOLVED] Best SFF or ITX case for University Dorm

BLAZNGCOLDBACON

Honorable
Feb 12, 2017
I will be moving to University this summer, and I will most likely be travelling across the country. My current PC is obviously too large to move as it is a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic. I plan to instead buy a new motherboard and other components to make it into a SFF or ITX build. I will be keeping my core parts like a Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC (Relatively small, Thermals are not a problem), Ryzen 5 2600. I bought the O11 Dynamic in hopes to further upgrade my system, but I never got to it, so I will be selling it.

To the point. What cases do you think would be the best to accompany my parts and overall size. I was already looking at cases like the Formd T1, NR200, and SFFTime P-ATX V2. Price really isn't much of a problem, as long as its below $300 CAD.

Solution
The Cougar QBX is a really nice affordable case. They've been in and out of stock since they're so popular. The NR200 looks like a really nice affordable case also. Since you're willing to entertain the really pricey cases, there's also the popular Ncase M1.

I have both the Cougar QBX and the Lian Li TU150.

The materials on the Lain Li are excellent and the easy pop-off panels makes it easy to disassemble. The handle is also nice for transport. For a smaller case, it is kind of heavy which can be a pro or a con. No filters at the front or on the bottom. The TU150 requires a SFX PSU.

The Cougar is mostly steel and plastic but the layout is excellent and easy to work with. The Cougar is a bit more compact than the LianLi. While it...

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
The Cougar QBX is a really nice affordable case. They've been in and out of stock since they're so popular. The NR200 looks like a really nice affordable case also. Since you're willing to entertain the really pricey cases, there's also the popular Ncase M1.

I have both the Cougar QBX and the Lian Li TU150.

The materials on the Lain Li are excellent and the easy pop-off panels makes it easy to disassemble. The handle is also nice for transport. For a smaller case, it is kind of heavy which can be a pro or a con. No filters at the front or on the bottom. The TU150 requires a SFX PSU.

The Cougar is mostly steel and plastic but the layout is excellent and easy to work with. The Cougar is a bit more compact than the LianLi. While it can hold an ATX PSU it does require the PSU have it's plug in a certain orientation. Cooling it excellent but since it's more compact care needs to be taken into cooler selection. It can take a slot loading optical drive if you think you need one.

Personally, I like the Cougar more. YMMV.

Last edited:
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
With it's handle, I agree the TU150 is a good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($128.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($98.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $321.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-02-02 11:32 EST-0500