[SOLVED] best type of battery for cold?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
if im looking to draw high amperage for starting in cold weather, what battery type would be the best to go with? say drawing 1000A for 10 or so seconds in -40F weather?

Solution
Zinc is mainly in racing oils for those with older engines using flat tappet cams and having no catalytic converter. That's why you don't see it in regular oils for todays cars. It's also technically not legal to use some racing oils in daily street cars. I don't know what you're talking about recommending zinc for small engines.

So I gave an educated opinion and you posted simply to say that I'm wrong? so a small engine is not a car engine so it shouldn't get that oil... Small engines usually (not all) are splash lubricated flat tappet motors with no cat. the purpose of zinc in oil is not just for flat tappets because what the zinc package does is prevent metal to metal contact. zinc is used up in the oil as needed whenever...

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
My post was not simply to say you're wrong, it's to clarify. When you say small engines that was rather vague and made little sense since the OP was talking about a cummins engine I couldn't understand why you'd mention small engines and that by "small" you meant non-car.

achrist0418

Prominent
Dec 19, 2017
i ended up with 3 batteries from orilies. group 95R. they are working well, a coworker has one of the large kinetik batteries and we put a 500A 20 second load on it - the orilies battery held a higher voltage under that load so... for 1/4 the price i think the orilies are a good buy. i think they are made by dekka