Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Hello everybody,

My second pc that I don't use that often (compared to my main pc) has a GTX 1060 6 gb. Alhtough i don't play that much on it. I still want to upgrade the GPU to get a better experience if I do play. What card is the best to replace my 1060? And if I sell my GTX 1060. How much can I ask for a used card? What is a good price to sell? I have not thought about a budget. If the prices are too expensive now, I don't mind buying a used card or waiting a bit, as this is my 2nd pc. I'm just wondering what options are available at this time.

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
CPU: I7-7700k
motherboard: ASRock Z270 pro4
RAM: Team Group Vulcan Vulcan DDR4-2400 16GB (Single channel)
SSD: crucial ct275mx300ssd1
HDD: toshiba dt01aca100
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt 750
Chassis: Sharkoon AI7000 Glass

Best regards,

Jobjanusz

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Can you give us some info on the rest of your system? CPU, PSU, mainboard, RAM, etc. Also, what resolution do you intend to play at? This is important to match your CPU and GPU properly. Is gaming all you intend to do on this system? Please don't just go and buy that 3080Ti mentioned above, that's nonsense without knowing the rest of your system and resolution.

About the selling price for a 1060, I would check out eBay for that. Remember that there are quite a few mining cards around right now, though. So it might be hard to sell even if you put it up rather cheap.

Edit: did you build it yourself, or is it a prebuilt system? If the latter, a link to the system would be helpful.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Can you give us some info on the rest of your system? CPU, PSU, mainboard, RAM, etc. Also, what resolution do you intend to play at? This is important to match your CPU and GPU properly. Is gaming all you intend to do on this system? Please don't just go and buy that 3080Ti mentioned above, that's nonsense without knowing the rest of your system and resolution.

About the selling price for a 1060, I would check out eBay for that. Remember that there are quite a few mining cards around right now, though. So it might be hard to sell even if you put it up rather cheap.

Edit: did you build it yourself, or is it a prebuilt system? If the latter, a link to the system would be helpful.

I didnt build the system myself. The most I did was replacing some parts. I'm looking for something like a 2060 or 1070 ti, a light upgrade since it is not my main. I intend to play 1080p games with it and only gaming. PS: I updated the post, so now you can see the other specs as well.

I didnt build the system myself. The most I did was replacing some parts. I'm looking for something like a 2060 or 1070 ti, a light upgrade since it is not my main. I intend to play 1080p games with it and only gaming. PS: I updated the post, so now you can see the other specs as well.
An RX 6600 is a nice 1080p card if you don't feel like taking a chance on the used/second-hand market.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
2060 Super is really good for this board/CPU and PCIe limits you have. The 30 series RTX cards have PCIe 4.0 but your board does not support that as I am sure you know. The 20 series RTX cards are probably optimum since you would not wasting power and thermal headroom, etc.. If you get a new mainboard then a 30 series makes sense.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Jobjanusz

KyaraM

Admirable
If you are aiming for a 2060, there is a rather new version with 12GB VRAM around. That should work really well with your system and you could grab one new.

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
2060 Super is really good for this board/CPU and PCIe limits you have. The 30 series RTX cards have PCIe 4.0 but your board does not support that as I am sure you know. The 20 series RTX cards are probably optimum since you would not wasting power and thermal headroom, etc.. If you get a new mainboard then a 30 series makes sense.

Just my thoughts.
No I didn't know that. I see a lot of people saying that you CAN put a 30 series in a PCIe 3.0 slot. Thanks for the advice.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
You can put a 30 series in a PCIe 3.0 slot

Well, you CAN do that, but it's kind of wasted. If you think the prices are good to get a 30 series now and want to use it in another 4.0-enabled system later, then go with that. However, GPU prices should continue to fall for a bit so no virtue in wasting money now, especially if you have a good price on a card that will be apposite your other components.

Reactions: Jobjanusz

Jobjanusz

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Well, you CAN do that, but it's kind of wasted. If you think the prices are good to get a 30 series now and want to use it in another 4.0-enabled system later, then go with that. However, GPU prices should continue to fall for a bit so no virtue in wasting money now, especially if you have a good price on a card that will be apposite your other components.

Ah I see. Thank you for clearing up. I'm not going to do that then! :)

KyaraM

Admirable
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QvpSC14rng

Wasted? If not even the freaking 3090 shows any real FPS drops?

A 30 series RTX might not be the best fit for the system, no, which is why I talked about the 2060. But PCIE 4.0 vs. 3.0 got jack to do with it.

A 30 series RTX might not be the best fit for the system, no, which is why I talked about the 2060. But PCIE 4.0 vs. 3.0 got jack to do with it.
I agree. The PCIe 4.0 is only needed for the fastest storage on the market right now. NO GPU, even the most powerful ones available, will have any issues being run on a PCIe 3.0 board. The PCIe Gen 3 was only saturated by very high speed PCIe NVME SSDs.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022

Fair enough, sir. I just like to avoid suboptimal configs unless the money or future plans work in favor of that, which is up to the OPs situation.

pulmoll45

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
(...)I intend to play 1080p games with it and only gaming.
I think that an important thing to consider is your screens max refresh rate (and the games you want to play!).
If it's 60fps then I would go for something like RTX3060, or the 3060Ti version.

A card better than 3060Ti would be a good option if you wanted more FPS, a resolution upgrade in the near future, or a more fututure-proofed GPU with some overhead to your current needs.