Best Video Card for older Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumford21

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I just picked up a Gateway GT5668E Desktop computer on craigslist for a couple hundred bucks as a rebuild, all I want right this moment is a cheap card to at least get me up and running in the gaming department. Over time I will buy and replace parts and eventually get a hardcore gaming video card.

Here is a link to the specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-gt5656-athlon-64/4507-3118_7-32865771.html (The model #is different but the specs are the same??) Could not find anything on the 5688E.

Anyway the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE that comes with the system is complete trash. I eventually want to upgrade the PSU, and Processor. However I do not have the cash at this time I have about 80 bucks to spend on a card. To at least play DOTA, LOL, WOW, and the new Sim city game, and some FPS at least to medium settings. Anyone know what the best card is to achieve this with this system>??

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

300w power supply... Doesn't say if it has a PCIE slot...

Download this, run it.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Post all your mainboard information, its on the "mainboard" flap on that program make sure to write down what it says under graphics interface version.

Then we can go from there.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

You are looking at a Radeon HD 6670, you are currently limited by the power supply, and that is the best you can run with what you currently have.

You need to snag at least an HD7770 GHz Save up! :D

This MSI HD 6670 1GB would work, otherwise, if you're chicken :lol:

As old as that system is ... you need to replace the power supply ASAP. Download and run the OCCT CPU test -- enable graphs in the options menu. See if you can lock her up :ouch:

The good news is, with WinV you can run an SSD! The Athlon X2 6000+ comes in 2 flavors: 125w or 89w. I can see advantages either way. The 89w Brisbanes are nifty, but if its a 125w, that may open a world of possibilities, up to 95w AM3 CPUs

I luvvvv my rehabilitation projects. I'll spend 2x the cash ... just cause, ya know? :heink:

Do you have an OEM copy of Vista laying around ?

Status
Not open for further replies.